Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #33,916 of 48,583
The big difference between the 2011 and the TR seems to be the latter's lack of reverb, which also the means the bass isn't as satisfying. I'm not big on audiophile terms but I would say it sounds very flat. The overall audio quality might be better than the 2011 version, but nothing sounds like it has any impact. It's just game sound being played with no force or impact. If you're a competitive FPS player or hate reverb this is probably good, but otherwise it just makes games very boring and less immersive. At this point it feels like you shouldn't even bother with the TR unless you fit that criteria.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #33,917 of 48,583
any headphones strictly for pinpointing enemies in black ops 3. I play on xbox one and wanted a recommendation for any headphones under $100.  i have the controller with a 3.5mm jack and i'd like to use them on my ps4 as well. i was looking into the turtle beach px24 but im not sure if the surround sound is good on those. thank you so much

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #33,918 of 48,583
Most people here will probably recommend the AD700x's.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1385979471&sr=1-2&keywords=ad700

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #33,919 of 48,583
  Hey guys, need a little help here. My current setup is the following:

- PS4
- DSS1
- V-Moda M100 + BoomPro
- Xonar U3

The V-Moda M100 + BoomPro is split out to a stereo plug and the microphone plug via its included adapter. The stereo plug goes into the DSS, and the mic plug goes into a USB soundcard on the PS4. (specifically the Xonar U3). What's happening is that if ONLY the stereo adapter is plugged into the DSS, everything sounds fine. However, as soon as I plug the mic in to the USB soundcard, I get a buzzing sound. I'm assuming it's because I now have 2 sources for ground? What's the best way to resolve this issue? Kinda regretting getting a BoomPro now, but a ModMic will end up almost costing me $100 Canadian after shipping and taxes. Any help would be appreciated.

I feel like this got lost at the bottom of the page. Has anyone here run into this issue and have advice on how to solve it? I'm about to order a ground loop isolator but not really sure if that's the way to go or a safe route.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #33,920 of 48,583
The big difference between the 2011 and the TR seems to be the latter's lack of reverb, which also the means the bass isn't as satisfying. I'm not big on audiophile terms but I would say it sounds very flat. The overall audio quality might be better than the 2011 version, but nothing sounds like it has any impact. It's just game sound being played with no force or impact. If you're a competitive FPS player or hate reverb this is probably good, but otherwise it just makes games very boring and less immersive. At this point it feels like you shouldn't even bother with the TR unless you fit that criteria.

You won't get surround out of the xbox controller. Read the first post.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #33,922 of 48,583
I'm starting to feel those who think the TR has no fullness or what not are on a very bass light preset. there shouldn't be a drastic difference between the sound if both are on the same exact flat signature.

Also, I dunno about the TR, but the 2011 uses Dolby headphone 2. Nowadays, Dolby Headphone doesn't seem to have Room 1/2/3 and instead uses some sort of slider, kinda like Creative does with SBX/THX Tru Studio. So while Dolby headphone 2 may be the equivalent of the slider being at maybe 65% (just guesstimating), The Mixamp TR may be on a lower setting.

I can't confirm any of this until I have heard/played with the TR myself.

Don't hold your breath as I have been more or less out of this hobby of trying out different devices/reviewing/etc.

You can expect a slightly different format of reviewing the Creative JAM in the future, and something else. Don't expect arbitrary numbers for scores, or ANY value. It will be reviews based on the actual review content. That's the way it's gonna be.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #33,924 of 48,583
Don't expect arbitrary numbers for scores, or ANY value. It will be reviews based on the actual review content. That's the way it's gonna be.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #33,925 of 48,583
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can expect a slightly different format of reviewing the Creative JAM in the future, and something else. Don't expect arbitrary numbers for scores, or ANY value. It will be reviews based on the actual review content...

MLE singing to Feggy...

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #33,926 of 48,583
I am currently deciding between the HIFIMAN-HE400s/i, Fidelio X2 and K7XX. I want to use them for gaming as well as music. I have a pretty broad taste of music and i expect them to handle the different genres nicely. I listen mostly to top 40's, hiphop and 80's. I play a lot of CS:GO and see a good soundstage as important too. I have the Realtek 892 as onboard audio, should I upgrade, and to what?

I am aware of the build issues with the X2's, but i am not in a hurry to buy, so if i decide on them I would wait them out

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #33,927 of 48,583
  I am currently deciding between the HIFIMAN-HE400s/i, Fidelio X2 and K7XX. I want to use them for gaming as well as music. I have a pretty broad taste of music and i expect them to handle the different genres nicely. I listen mostly to top 40's, hiphop and 80's. I play a lot of CS:GO and see a good soundstage as important too. I have the Realtek 892 as onboard audio, should I upgrade, and to what?

I am aware of the build issues with the X2's, but i am not in a hurry to buy, so if i decide on them I would wait them out

First, I owned the K7XX, then the Fidelio X2 and now the HIFIMAN HE-400i. I haven't heard the HE400s. 

The K7XX is best for fps, with its huge soundstage and overall clarity, but less immersive if you like the immersion of the extra bass. The Fidelio X2 was really nice for gaming and most genres of music. I'm still evaluating the HE-400i. I picked that up because I wanted something good with my metal. I'm still evaluating it for gaming, so I don't have an answer for that. I will say that, out of the box, its soundstage is obviously smaller than the other two.

For your needs, the X2 would probably be best. They're also the most efficient of the three, so your soundcard/amp choice is something to consider.

Edit: I believe the QC issues on the X2 are overblown; I didn't have an issue with the three that I heard. I never had a chance to compare the new ones to the 2014 batches, however. That issue is very much an open question, and one that the X2 thread hasn't shed much light on to this point.

Good luck!

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #33,930 of 48,583
Hi everyone, I searched through this thread but couldn't find that quite fit my use case and budget.  What would your recommendation be for the following use case:

I stream games occasionally using a dynamic mic and want something that has very little if any sound leakage to avoid getting picked up by the mic.  I'm not sure if open headphones would meet this criteria as I don't listen to things too loud, or if the sound leakage can be eliminated using a noise gate or something similar (very new to streaming and audio equipment/methods).  I've also got my fiancee playing games in the same room as me about 6 feet behind me so she would rather not hear much if any sound leakage.

I play a wide variety of games, such as Planetside, CounterStrike, Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft.  I'd like a decent sound stage to have a feeling of where my opponents are in a FPS but I'm not a competitive top tier player that demands the best.

My musical tastes are ~80% rock, ~20% everything else but rap.

I have a budget of ~$200 USD

I tend to have gaming sessions of 3-10 hours or more just depending on the day so long term comfort is very important.

My only experience with real headphones is with the Sennheiser PC-350 headset which I've had for several years.  My complaints with it are I really don't want a mic on my headset, the ear pads and headband are both terribly worn out.  I really like the circumaural design not having my ears touching anything, and when it was new it was incredibly comfortable.

Based on the headphones at the beginning of the guide I'm drawn to the ATH-M50x, the DT 700 Pro, and the Q701.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back