Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 19, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #33,901 of 48,583
  To ALL owners of the X7, especially the X7 LE.

I can hear the PSU buzzing (more higher freq) when the X7 is on. The buzz doesn't affect the HP output but it affects the lineout so using the Valhalla 2 with it I hear the exact same buzz type through the headphones. The Valhalla 2 itself is ok, tested with my Iphone and blu ray player. 
If you want to help me confirm please disconnect everything, have a quiet room. Just turn on the X7 and listen to the PSU. 

thanks

Can you try something?  Can you try moving the X7 and Valhalla to a different room in your house? Or do you have a different amp to hook up to the X7?

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #33,902 of 48,583
Don't have a different amp for now. Valhalla 2 does nothing when connected to the iphone and the Panasonic BluRay player. Works totally fine. Even works from the onboard Realtek without buzz though the onboard brings other noises (at max volume) but that's to be expected and happens at unrealistic levels. X7 buzz starts at 11, audibly. It's the same sound the PSU makes,

X7 PSU buzzes whenever the X7 is on. Doesn't matter where in the house. All my gear runs through filtered sockets. Unfiltered ones (kitchen, bath) give the same buzzing. Buzzing "tonality" changes when muting the X7.

Might be able to try another DAC tomorrow.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #33,903 of 48,583
Is the x7 plugged directly to the outlet or to a power strip? Also, do You have another device that uses the same or similar power supply?

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #33,904 of 48,583
Doesn't matter, it simply buzzes on everything, no matter if filtered power strip, direct outlet, plugged while everything else is unplugged.

Unfortunately this is the only device which uses such a PSU. Contacted the support anyway but curious to see if others have that buzz as well. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #33,905 of 48,583
Okay, just checked this. I had to turn off all other devices but my PSU also buzzes. It's really quiet but definitely audible.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #33,906 of 48,583
Do you have an external amp? Do you hear the buzz through the Line Out/when turning up the volume on the amp? 

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #33,907 of 48,583
I only have the Fiio E18 which does not buzz at all even on maximum volume.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #33,908 of 48,583
I dunno where you heard the 2013 was recommended. That one is very hissy. It's the 2011 that is recommended. The one without the EQ preset button.

Please amend that statement, because no one that I know of has 'recommended' the 2013 Mixamp. Don't want people searching for devices based on false claims.

Original post edited, my bad. But I did read other places recommending the 2013 over the more recent ones, which is probably where I got confused. 
Although in the OP it doesn't really make it clear that it's very hissy..

Anywho, I ordered a white TR MixAmp and also managed to get a 2011 MixAmp Pro. Hopefully everything is here by Friday so I can test them out and see what I prefer.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #33,909 of 48,583
Hello I`m new here, but would like to add something, for those that are considering the Astro A40 TR then I can tell you not to bother, this unit has severe problems with the DD sound, it is like being in an empty tin can (not that I spend my time in one ..lol)... I have had the Tr and headset since release and firmware and EQ adjustments make no difference, these do not even come close to sound that I get from my steelseries H wireless. Astro have said they sound as intended and were tested by a Dolby  tech, I think they may have had there ears painted on when testing, so beware..... and consider the G5 over the TR.. Thanks     

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #33,910 of 48,583
  Hello I`m new here, but would like to add something, for those that are considering the Astro A40 TR then I can tell you not to bother, this unit has severe problems with the DD sound, it is like being in an empty tin can (not that I spend my time in one ..lol)... I have had the Tr and headset since release and firmware and EQ adjustments make no difference, these do not even come close to sound that I get from my steelseries H wireless. Astro have said they sound as intended and were tested by a Dolby  tech, I think they may have had there ears painted on when testing, so beware..... and consider the G5 over the TR.. Thanks     

Not sure what You mean by "tin can". Does it sound like being in an empty room, with a lot of reverb? If yes, then this is pretty much how Dolby Headphone sounds.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #33,911 of 48,583
  Not sure what You mean by "tin can". Does it sound like being in an empty room, with a lot of reverb? If yes, then this is pretty much how Dolby Headphone sounds.

The sound has a muffled and high echo effect, In my years of listening to V Dolby surround on headsets I have never experience sound like this, the H wireless is Dolby and sounds so much better and refined, with the TR  feels like you hear double sound effects in one ear cup 

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #33,912 of 48,583

The sound has a muffled and high echo effect, In my years of listening to V Dolby surround on headsets I have never experience sound like this, the H wireless is Dolby and sounds so much better and refined, with the TR  feels like you hear double sound effects in one ear cup 

The TR version is supposed to come with it's own control panel so try fiddling with the settings.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #33,913 of 48,583

This is my experience as well. I had to switch to an EQ someone posted on the Astro forums but it still sounded nothing like the Dolby Headphone demos you can find on youtube. My 2011 Mixamp should be coming today or tomorrow so I should be able to A/B them before I send the TR back.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #33,914 of 48,583
So should just skip the X7 and wait until the G5, then? Doesn't look like its drop is going to reach the requirement for the $299 price, anyway.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #33,915 of 48,583
This is my experience as well. I had to switch to an EQ someone posted on the Astro forums but it still sounded nothing like the Dolby Headphone demos you can find on youtube. My 2011 Mixamp should be coming today or tomorrow so I should be able to A/B them before I send the TR back.

That would interesting to find out how the tr headset compares with the 2011 mix amp , I take it you used the beast mode EQ , I've tried adjusting EQs but still the same,others are reporting the same issue so it's not an isolated case,I'm going to try send them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back