Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #33,016 of 48,562
I am using it for the 3 things:
1. TV (digital cable, PS4 Blu Ray, Apple TV) - 60 %
2. gaming (PS4) - 30 %
3. music - 10 %, since I mainly listen to music on the go, not at home.

And I should also mention that I already have an Astro Mixamp pro hooked up to my PS4, which I really like. Now, I assume the X7 would be an upgrade in comparison, right?

I wouldn´t mind spending a little bit more on an X7 at all IF it serves all my needs and is the best option going forward. However with my many different sources (at least cable, PS4, Apple TV) and the X7 not having an HDMI port I am not really sure if the X7 is the right way to go for me?!?!
But maybe someone can answer that and paint a clearer picture of what the X7 can and can not do and should be used for and what not.

Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for any help in advance. 

For ultimate convenience, today's avrs are unbeatable. Their drawback is that their performance with headphones isn't great, or even remotely close to good. Today's $600 avrs are amazing machines, really. They just use low-quality parts for their headphone implementation that makes them poor matches for those of us who use headphones.

I used to have a complicated 5.1 surround sound setup with an avr and a Mixamp. Once I switched to 90% headphones, the avr's headphone performance wasn't cutting it.

The big drawback of going from an avr to the X7 is the lack of inputs (just one toslink). The lack of hdmi from a fidelity perspective is negligible, and is actually preferable for gaming (less input lag). The loss of DTS and 7.1 surround is a non-issue if you're using headphones.

Because you use multiple sources, however, losing the hdmi switching functionality would be irritating, so I don't know if you'd ultimately be happier if you switched to the X7.

You're probably better off waiting for the Soundblaster G5, and going with that provided it's a big step up from the mixamp, which @evshrug can speak to. Not sure if anyone else here has tried both.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #33,017 of 48,562
The big drawback of going from an avr to the X7 is the lack of inputs (just one toslink). The lack of hdmi from a fidelity perspective is negligible, and is actually preferable for gaming (less input lag). The loss of DTS and 7.1 surround is a non-issue if you're using headphones.

Because you use multiple sources, however, losing the hdmi switching functionality would be irritating, so I don't know if you'd ultimately be happier if you switched to the X7.

That is exactly why I am hesitant. I'd hate to buy such a device only to discover that while it might be great by itself it just can't handle all the stuff I want to throw at it. And that is why I figured it might be better to upgrade may AVR if that is at all possible. But if that is more or less considered just throwing money away I will stick with what I have.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #33,018 of 48,562
That is exactly why I am hesitant. I'd hate to buy such a device only to discover that while it might be great by itself it just can't handle all the stuff I want to throw at it. And that is why I figured it might be better to upgrade may AVR if that is at all possible. But if that is more or less considered just throwing money away I will stick with what I have.

Yeah, I'd sit tight if I were you, with your preferences.

It really comes down to whether you use headphones or speakers. Headphone inputs and amps are not a priority in today's avrs. Even if you spend $1,000 on an av receiver, I can assure you it will be inferior to the X7's headphone performance. In that case, you'd be better off spending $400 on the X7 and $500-600 for the avr.

Good luck either way.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #33,019 of 48,562
I have looked into the E12 a little bit and it really seems to be a viable option based on user reviews. Now, the question I keep asking myself is if the E12 is in fact a good piece of equipment to upgrade my current setup. Would this be a good upgrade from the Fiio E6 that I use roght now with my Yamaha AVR and my mobile devices? Or would something else be a better choice?

With all the different options out there (amps, dacs, stuff like creative x7 etc) I find it kind of hard to figure out wha's the way to go in terms of improving audio quality.

I own and have written reviews on both the E12 and X7... Check my signature if you'd like to read them. To keep from derailing this thread, maybe make a post on my thread about DSPs and setup?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #33,020 of 48,562
For ultimate convenience, today's avrs are unbeatable. Their drawback is that their performance with headphones isn't great, or even remotely close to good. Today's $600 avrs are amazing machines, really. They just use low-quality parts for their headphone implementation that makes them poor matches for those of us who use headphones.

I used to have a complicated 5.1 surround sound setup with an avr and a Mixamp. Once I switched to 90% headphones, the avr's headphone performance wasn't cutting it.

You're probably better off waiting for the Soundblaster G5, and going with that provided it's a big step up from the mixamp, which @evshrug can speak to. Not sure if anyone else here has tried both.

So evshrug has tried the g5 already?

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #33,021 of 48,562
So evshrug has tried the g5 already?

I'm getting one but haven't tried one yet. I have tried an E5... And an X7, Mixamp, Mixamp 5.8, DSS, Yamaha receiver (with Silent Cinema), Recon3D, Omni 5.1.

I'm expecting the G5 to basically be an E5 with Dolby decoding, and an LED that dims based on volume setting. If it has any surprise capabilities, good, but a console-aimed E5 will already be a step up from the Mixamp in DAC, amp, and background noise quality.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #33,022 of 48,562
Good to hear. I almost bought an e5 a while back. The mixamp sounds pretty good with my lab m4u1s but as has been stated before it's not enough to run my q701s decently. I just ordered a schitt magni to try out until the g5 is released. Also from what my Xbox friends have told me the mixamp tr usb chat sounds Crystal clear.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #33,023 of 48,562
Yo everybody.

I'm currently looking for a new pair of headphones. However, I have serious issues with clamping/tight HPs, as they usually start to hurt on the top of my head. I have tried the NAD Viso HP50 over the weekend, but they make My head hurt after an hour or so of usage, so I plan to return them.

The problem is that I have no clue in what to get. I really liked the sound of the NAD Viso HP50 (kinda warm Sounding HP), so I would like something that sound similar. I mainly listen to metal, post-hardcore, but I can listen to other genres too. Another priority is comfort, as I want to be able to use them for longer periods of time when I'm gaming. What I used for my PC until I tried the NAD Viso HP50 was a pair of QPad QH-90, which is also known as the Kingston HyperX Cloud. They are based on the Takstar Pro80, which I could wear the entire day without any Pain whatsoever.

My budget is around 299$, but I think I can stretch to 399$ if needed.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I can get some help from this matter.

(Btw, I also have a Oneplus Two invite that goes out today. If Anyone wants it they can have it!)

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #33,024 of 48,562
VirtualBoost, you may want to look into the new sony 100aap's. Very comfy, and they soung great.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/779750/sony-h-ear-on-mdr-100aap-199-hi-res-audio-over-ear-headphones/1020_30#post_12099269

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #33,026 of 48,562
You know what would help this thread? A Head-Fi meet dedicated to gaming devices instead of pure audio devices. People could come by, take a listen to the Mixamp, the X7, DSS and all the other stuff and judge for themselves what sounds best for them. We could even have a little LAN party down the line.

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #33,027 of 48,562
My Sennheiser PMX95 finally arrived. After the huge disappointment that was the Motorola neckband Headphone I bought and the Sennheiser MM100 wireless neckband Headphone losing its good SQ through the pads, I expected a similar outcome with the PMX95, also being neckband style.

The only difference here being that this one isn't wireless.

So first impressions: Jesus Christ the first song I played sounded like the worst headphones I've ever heard. I thought I definitely received a counterfeit... Then I remembered that sometimes, SOMETIMES, my Nexus 6 plays music horribly if I start from a long period of not playing anything.... so I switched tracks and the went back, and BOOM... there it was. Lovely, full, dynamic... ALL SENNHEISER.

I'm ecstatic by its SQ. I'm convinced this does use PX100-II drivers, though due to clamp difference, it's not as warm and bass heavy BUT still definitely warm and not lacking in bass whatsoever. It actually sounds more balanced, while still being full. I'm super happy with the PMX95, and it makes me wonder why the hell it's discontinued. Definitely a gem that few people have heard.

Oh it also has vertical swivel on the pads, so the neckband better fits more people. It's super freaking comfy. I honestly couldn't have expected better. Using it now with the Noble BTS, and I honestly can't tell it's a wireless signal. This is gonna definitely be my replacement for the Koss clip ons.

Anyone looking for that portable open Headphone that won't move around your head, needs to go on EBay and snatch the PMX95 asap. Its gonna come from Germany from like the only seller that has it in stock (I checked, only one seller with multiple listings).

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #33,028 of 48,562
Newbie here, but wanted to share my enthusiasm for the g5. I recently purchased the Sennheiser Game One headset to use with my PS4. Having had a decent experience with the Sony Golds, I was blown away by the difference in sound quality from the Game One when paired with an Earforce DSS. The positional cues are really amazing in Fallout 4. The only limiting factor is the fact that I cannot use the mic on the Game One with the DSS, which I'm hoping the g5 will address. While the Game One headset gets decent gain in the current setup with the DSS, I'm anxious to see how it performs with amping from the g5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back