Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #316 of 48,566

Quote:
Like I said on that thread, skip the AD700 if you want bass.

Might I suggest the HD598? It's mid rich, very clear, and musical. It has plenty of soundstage, a complete beast in positional cues for gaming, and does music well, if you're into a mid and treble centric sound. The bass isn't lacking, but it isn't prominent either. I'd consider it a baby K70x without it being so anal about amping, though the E7/E9 definitely helps it quite a bit.

I just want to find a killer gaming solution and will compliment rock type music. The dt990's were impressive for gaming, but I don't know what to compare it to since i never tried anything in its class. Do you know what i'm saying? I'm not too worried about the bass presence, the ath m50 and dt 990 offers me the best of both worlds with the closed tight prespective(m50)  and then the airy open feeling with the dt 990. I jut might have to give it time with my dt 990's tho everything is still very new just revieved the fiio combo and dt 990's last week. Are the hd 598's open or closed? And how was the band? i heard senn's have cracking issues

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #317 of 48,566
Yeah, the 598 still has that issue. It is open, with a slightly large soundstage than the DT990. More of that airy sound to it, too.

Umm, seeing as you got all these things very frequently, I'd hold off on over saturating your ears with all these headphones. Get intimate with the headphones you have. Although I'm one to talk as I owned so many damn headphones the past year, I would say that the M50 is still one of my fave closed, and the DT990 is one of my fave open headphones.

If you're not worried about bass, then I'd suggest the HD598 to complete what you have. Though I'm not sure if they appeal to rock.

Kinda hard to go for gaming AND rock.

I'd say use the DT990 for gaming, and maybe a pair of Grados for rock?

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #318 of 48,566
On a totally unrelated subject, I just made a vow on facebook not to buy another headphone until I can afford the Audez'e LCD-2.

And because I'm a total nerd, when I do get it I'll be far too curious as to how it sounds with the Mixamp... lol. Oh yes, Orthodynamics for gaming...

Think I'll make or break the vow?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #319 of 48,566
 lol bro i been following you for some time i remember when you said the K701 and DT990 were gonna be around for a while. You go through headphones mad quick lol. But I'm like that too you get involved in something and it just takes a hold of you. Look at me I just got a bunch of stuff and I'm already asking about new cans lol. But  I think your absolutely right I didn't even get used to all the new equipment yet, they all deserve time.  I'm going to let everything properly break in and test everything out eventually i'llsee what i like/ dont like. I only thing that comes to mind is the treble on the DT 990's. I haven't decided if I like it or not. Like some songs I love it and some songs I'm saying to myself thats a little harsh. The bass is perfect to me. Not too much not too little.

But man now with the e7 and the LOD 3 the ath m50's are nuts. I just can't beleive how good those cans are. Really just blown away when I'm on break at work layin down or before bed just rockin out with the e7 and m50s its just an amazing set up for me. I know everyone says that the m50's dont have to be amped but if you ask me i think amping it is definetly worth it. Huge difference with my 4th generation ipod touch.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #320 of 48,566
I think you can do it. Me, I only wanna buy one more headphone... something fully open for work use and when my D7000 gets too hot at home. I had to take them off because they got too hot, so I'm using the PC360 for non-gaming use atm. I'd like something a little more music oriented.

I'm aching to get the MS1i (comfies only...I don't CARE what bowls or flats do to the sound, I ain't sacrificing comfort). It's just... I'm not sure I'll like the comfort even with the comfies on.

I don't want anything too huge either.

M50s are awesome. <3

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #321 of 48,566
I got my friend the old MS1 a long time ago. If the comfort is the same then I'd say it's fair. It's more of what it's comfortable in comparison to... which is usually the bowls. I'm not nearly as picky as you when it comes to comfort so I was perfectly happy with the bowls for 5 hour sessions back in the day. In comparison, the comfies are much better, but I'd say Beyers are far more comfortable by a long shot.

I know you don't like the AD700's wing system; to me they're fine, and because the wings don't have a fitting issue with me the AD700 wins the comfort battle by a long shot for me.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #322 of 48,566
I want a gaming solution before anything. I have a nice set up xbox slim wired controller, razr onza on the way, viewsonic 2250 led monitor astro mixamp 2010. Right now i'm running the razer carcharias just because i got them for so cheap and the sound quality is actually really good. The mic on it blows tho for some reason the mixamp doesn't power it well enough becuase the mic is crazy sensitive on pc. I did try the DT990 very quickly didn't really give it a deserving shot but I do like to play with a mic. I have thought about the pc 360's but on the mlg forum it just that a lot of people didn't think they were as amazing as they hoped they would be. I would take your opinion over many tho since you do have audiophile quality equipment and a lot of experience with headphones since your always changing lol. I'm gonna try and be patient tho and continue to research, but to me its stupis to have a $130 mixamp with a $70 headset

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #323 of 48,566
The AD700 is LOL-HUGE to take to work, and they aren't exactly what I'd consider great for music.

I'm VERY close to just going for the MS1i and calling it a day (they would seriously only be used at work and when the D7000 gets too hot). I wish Alessandro sold them through Amazon too. Grado does with their headphones, but the only one I'd consider is the SR225i and 325i which are too expensive for what I want them for and both come with bowls, not sure getting comfies for those would be ideal. At least the MS1i comes with comfies, so they were designed with those in mind.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #324 of 48,566

Quote:
I want a gaming solution before anything. I have a nice set up xbox slim wired controller, razr onza on the way, viewsonic 2250 led monitor astro mixamp 2010. Right now i'm running the razer carcharias just because i got them for so cheap and the sound quality is actually really good. The mic on it blows tho for some reason the mixamp doesn't power it well enough becuase the mic is crazy sensitive on pc. I did try the DT990 very quickly didn't really give it a deserving shot but I do like to play with a mic. I have thought about the pc 360's but on the mlg forum it just that a lot of people didn't think they were as amazing as they hoped they would be. I would take your opinion over many tho since you do have audiophile quality equipment and a lot of experience with headphones since your always changing lol. I'm gonna try and be patient tho and continue to research, but to me its stupis to have a $130 mixamp with a $70 headset

The PC360 is spectacular, especially if you get them south of $200. For gaming, they ARE amazing. MLG gamers are too into their stupid ass A40s to realize what good sound actually is. Okay, now I'm just being biased. I didn't like the A40s.

The HD598 is even BETTER for gaming than the PC360, but the versatility of the PC360 wins for me over the SQ improvement of the HD598.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #325 of 48,566

Quote:
The PC360 is spectacular, especially if you get them south of $200. For gaming, they ARE amazing. MLG gamers are too into their stupid ass A40s to realize what good sound actually is. Okay, now I'm just being biased. I didn't like the A40s.

The HD598 is even BETTER for gaming than the PC360, but the versatility of the PC360 wins for me over the SQ improvement of the HD598.

Mad lust just one question . Do you usually use your pc 360 for music ? or your m50s?
And how do the pc 360s fare in music reproduction?
greets 

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #326 of 48,566

Quote:

Quote:

I picked up a pair on ebay from a very good seller for under $200. He has some that are up for auction but he also has a few up for "Buy It Now or Best Offer". I made him an offer of $180 on a $250 Buy It Now pair and it was accepted ($8.95 S/H).

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #327 of 48,566
Yea the hd598's look sexy and probably are amazing but I think if i got another headphone i would want something harder to push with my e9. Plus the pc 360's are attractive because of the built in mic. I don't really want a ghetto rig i was thinking of the labtec lva 7330 with the ad700's but it just doesn't seem like a good music performer. Where is the best place to get the pc 360s? I see most people are getting them for around $180, Can anyone show me where to buy if i decided to. O and how does the mic work with the mixamp? I havent heard much talk about the mic quality. How much better is the hd 598 than the pc 360? Is it drastic?

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #328 of 48,566

Quote:

From your set up it looks like your on top of your game comp wise with those tools. I missed the pre order on the Onza, blam! sucks. I can say that the mic on the Beyer MMX 300 is top notch and the sound cant be touched by the A40 set. See my pics. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #329 of 48,566
The thing I like about most gaming headsets is their convenience. It's quite obvious you're paying the hefty price for the convenience rather than sound quality. The A40s are a ridiculously expensive headset for the sound, however they make a good argument when stating the headset works really well for competitive gamers. The mixamp, with the ability to create a direct inline chat channel, the good quality microphone, the durability, the relative comfort etc etc. It's just too bad they're so expensive. Honestly, I would deal with the lack of sound quality if they were priced around $80 rather than the $250 or whatever they're set at. Hell, most pro players get these things for free, so what's to complain about? For the rest of us (The Educated) as I like to refer to us as, there's the headphone and microphone combo with a mixamp. Or if you want to get more simplistic, theres the MMX300 or PC360. Hell, because I'm stuck on campus I leave my AX720s up here. They get the job done, and I don't feel like leaving my precious sound equipment laying around my apartment, even though I trust my roommates. Some people will pay the price for convenience, it's just too bad we can't get a headset that has it all. Maybe one day...

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #330 of 48,566

Quote:
Quote:

From your set up it looks like your on top of your game comp wise with those tools. I missed the pre order on the Onza, blam! sucks. I can say that the mic on the Beyer MMX 300 is top notch and the sound cant be touched by the A40 set. See my pics. 

how much did the mmx 330's cost? Prices I'm looking at are mighty pricey, def an option to consider tho. If I'm going to sacrifice for a headset tho it's def got to have a very good mic tho. Like I said I'm a member over at MLG forums and everyone raved about the razer carcharias being up to par with many headsets and even better than most. I can vouch for the sound quality they really are good, it's just the mic is really bad its not responsive at all i almost have to yell for anyone to hear me clearly. If the mic was somewhat decent we wouldn't be having this convo. And I don't even use my mic that often I find with black ops I talk less and less. When i was playing Reach I was communicating every match. Even though I don't use my mic that often I really want to have that option when things get serious. It looks like the PC 360 or MMX 300 are probably the best option. I dont care how good the reviews are on the 2011 a40 headset I  probably won't even consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back