Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #302 of 48,562
It's a lot simpler on PS3 and PC. Just USB and/or optical, and headphones. No controller cable and mp3 player is optional. Mixamp 5.8 would be the same, except now the optical and USB are plugged into the transmitter, and the headphones into the receiving unit. This means if you need to use a headphone amp in addition to then the whole wireless thing is negated... unless you need it to be really far away from the source.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #303 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:
Astro mixamp here and yes only use it to get "5.1". To hear chat from others better without party chat, you can put the game sound down from the games own menu, to bring just game volume down. Then turn volume up from the mixamp, this brings both game and chat (even if it's coming from the speakers) levels up. Makes hearing others a littlebit better. I do it this way to get away from the cable mess, and the worst, most annoying cable in the astro setup is the controller to mixamp one

I see and I agree about the cable from the controller to the mixamp.  Here is my set up, as you can see I use the Turtlebeach cable there (white) so I can mute my mic.

Someone who actually owns a Beyerdynamic MMX 300
eek.gif
. How do you like it?

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #304 of 48,562

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Astro mixamp here and yes only use it to get "5.1". To hear chat from others better without party chat, you can put the game sound down from the games own menu, to bring just game volume down. Then turn volume up from the mixamp, this brings both game and chat (even if it's coming from the speakers) levels up. Makes hearing others a littlebit better. I do it this way to get away from the cable mess, and the worst, most annoying cable in the astro setup is the controller to mixamp one

I see and I agree about the cable from the controller to the mixamp.  Here is my set up, as you can see I use the Turtlebeach cable there (white) so I can mute my mic.

Someone who actually owns a Beyerdynamic MMX 300
eek.gif
. How do you like it?

They are the sickness!!  This is my 4th gaming setup and best so far. Soon I'm going to add a headphone amp as well.  They are my first set of headphones of this level for anything and now I'm hooked.  I'm researching a desktop audio set up for my desk at work amp and phones now.  Reading all the info I can to learn more as I listen to music the majority of my day.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #305 of 48,562
I have the mixamp 5.8 and It is really not that a wireless set. In case you can cut your headphones and mic cables short, they would be nice... but with 2-3 meters cables for headphones it will be too much cable.

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #306 of 48,562
You COULD just wrap up your headphone cable...

To me, the purpose of the wireless Mixamp 5.8 isn't about it being true wireless, but not needing to run a cable between you and where your stuff is.

In my case, I have a small stand next to my couch near a power outlet. I can discreetly keep my Rx unit near me to the SIDE, and when I need to power it to recharge it, I can run a USB plug to the outlet next to me. With all this, the only cables anywhere near me is the Headphone's and controller cable for chat (whenever I do use it, which is rarely). There won't be anything running across the ground as it would with the other Mixamps/AX720/DSS/etc.

With the old Mixamp, you need a long USB and a long Optical cable across the ground as well. It's a pain in the ass, which is why I have my current Mixamp near a stand next to the TV on the side, so it won't be all in the way. The problem with this is that I can't move it much closer because the cables don't reach where I sit, nor do I want them to. Too much clutter.

I'll be getting the Mixamp 5.8 sometime VERY soon. Probably sell my battered first gen for like $40 to a friend, optical cable included.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #308 of 48,562
I mixamp realy worth ? in europe i can find is cheapest in  http://www.roxxgames.de/index.php?cPath=112_121_124
mixamp is 115€ and 5.8 130€
I most play games on PC so i think it would be better to go with soundcard any recommend for budget 70 (100) € ?
I have xbox 360 but curently just playing SP (single players) maybe i will go on MP (multiplayer) later
And what about ear force dss  i saw on forum  bass is so heavy they can't hear footsteps

And i think HD 558 is better to go then 598 coz cost 40€ more  ?

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #310 of 48,562
My new Mixamp 5.8 should be arriving hopefully next week or so. :)

Luka, I'm not sure about the 558 sounding the same as a 598 once the foam is removed. The one person I read who has heard both the modded 558 and 598, stated that they don't sound excatly the same, and makes the treble harsh on the 558. YMMV. I personally would just get the 598 through Electronic Expo with the DEALZON coupon.

http://dealzon.com/deals/sennheiser-hd-598-headphones

That's assuming the deal is still working.

Feb 1, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #312 of 48,562
Yeah, they are redirecting you to the site where you're supposed to buy it from. Once you add it to your cart, there is a box for coupon codes. You put it DEALZON, and the HD598 sells for like $163 or so.

Don't know where they ship.

Lol, I'm not Czech, I'm Puerto Rican. CZ is initials for 'Chaos Zero' which I used a long time on web forums.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #313 of 48,562
I made a thread regarding this just before and I just found this gaming thread so I wanted to ask over here too:

I have the e7/e9 combo. I have the ath m50's and dt 900/600 that are absolutely amazing for heavier rock/hip hop techno etc. Being a heavy hip hip listener thee can are everything i wanted. I am also a gamer and play heavily on xbox I have the razer carcharias and 2010 astro mixamp and i use my dt 990's sometimes too. I am looking for my next headphone purchase to serve 2 purposes: I want it to be beast for xbox in terms of soundstage/enemy detection all the good stuff, but i would also like a headphone that can be a great option for classic rock soft modern rock. My spectrum is wide; for of my favorites are tom petty, hootie and the blowfish, chili peppers, daughtry, nickelback, taking back sunday , metalica, paul simon etc. I don't really like the dt 990 or m50's for that type of music even though i find the m50's more acceptable then the dt 990's. I was considering the ad700's but i thought i could opt for something better since i have the e7/e9, so driving whatever cans really isnt an issue. What do you guys think?

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #314 of 48,562
Just wondering... What do you find lacking about your DT 990/600's? They're already one of the best for the sub $300 range. The AD700's will be a competitive upgrade by a reasonable margin but a huge downgrade music-wise. I don't see things getting significantly better unless you take it up a price range above the DT 990/600 or two...

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #315 of 48,562
Like I said on that thread, skip the AD700 if you want bass.

Might I suggest the HD598? It's mid rich, very clear, and musical. It has plenty of soundstage, a complete beast in positional cues for gaming, and does music well, if you're into a mid and treble centric sound. The bass isn't lacking, but it isn't prominent either. I'd consider it a baby K70x without it being so anal about amping, though the E7/E9 definitely helps it quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back