Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #30,016 of 48,583
  Well, it would also be nice if it had more than one input. It would be a bitch to replug it everytime we need to switch sources. Part of the reason I'm typing this post on a 40" Bravia TV instead of a regular desktop monitor is that it has an optical output (which actually outputs a Dolby Digital Signal, not some downscaled absurdity). I can switch the X7 between my PS3 and my PS4 (And X1) in the future by simply switching the channel on the TV.

Those are details.  The important part is getting them on board with the idea of even making on in the first place.  Baby steps.  

At the end of the day, if Schiit made something that only took optical in and output virtual surround to a headphone jack using the Modi and Magni tech (think Magni+Modi+DTSHX in one box), it would still crush pretty much any other option on the market.  The X7 would compete solely on its flexibility.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #30,017 of 48,583
Dharma + Realiser + Schiit = Holy balls I want. Even with the Realiser demo I still want it, it just needs to be a better calibration to work as well for me as it did for Stillhart. Gaming would be changed forever.

I'm debating selling all of my headphones and getting the Dharma when it's out. I'll probably decide after THE Show Newport. Enigma and Questyle are brand partners, so since I'm working with Questyle I should have the Dharma all show if they have enough available.

Wanna game on the Dharma!!!

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #30,018 of 48,583
Dharma + Realiser + Schiit = Holy balls I want. Even with the Realiser demo I still want it, it just needs to be a better calibration to work as well for me as it did for Stillhart. Gaming would be changed forever.

I'm debating selling all of my headphones and getting the Dharma when it's out. I'll probably decide after THE Show Newport. Enigma and Questyle are brand partners, so since I'm working with Questyle I should have the Dharma all show if they have enough available.

Wanna game on the Dharma!!!

Oh snap, I sense someone getting a review Dharma!  And omg, that would be a crazy gaming can.  Honestly, I think Mad would love it.  Crazy bass with 'stat mids and treble... what's not to love?

I am like seriously considering emailing Dharma to see if they need a shill to help at The Show...

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #30,019 of 48,583

I also had a very similar discussion with Jason Stoddard about the need for something in between the $100 Mixamp and the $3000 Smyth.  He was also very intrigued.  He told me that he talks to people all day and gets lots of ideas thrown at him, but this one really intrigued him.  He also requested that I contact him later to discuss it further.

I would buy that product in a second from Schiit!

There is a significant and obvious gap in the market... especially in that $200-$300 price bracket... that range seems like a big sweet spot for a lot of folks on Head-fi.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #30,020 of 48,583
But the price point needs to be set low enough for people to not think of it as a gimmick only mlg l33t proz need. Mixamp is 130 usd after all and it does offer a lot of useful features, apart from the virtual surround itself (mainly playing from all inputs at once and being usb powered instead of wall powered.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #30,021 of 48,583
  But the price point needs to be set low enough for people to not think of it as a gimmick only mlg l33t proz need. Mixamp is 130 usd after all and it does offer a lot of useful features, apart from the virtual surround itself (mainly playing from all inputs at once and being usb powered instead of wall powered.

Yeah, but it has a fatal flaw:  it sounds like ****.  I'd rather have one that sounds like Schiit.  

And don't forget, lots of folks buy the $130 Mixamp AND the $100 Magni (or equivalent) because the amp sucks.  So really I'd think of it as a $230 price point that they have to keep in mind.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #30,022 of 48,583

Yeah, but it has a fatal flaw:  it sounds like ****.  I'd rather have one that sounds like Schiit.  

And don't forget, lots of folks buy the $130 Mixamp AND the $100 Magni (or equivalent) because the amp sucks.  So really I'd think of it as a $230 price point that they have to keep in mind.

It does, yeah. So imagine a Mixamp 2015 which has mini toslink integrated with the headphone jack (and a separate mic jack) for those people who want their games to sound better. That wouldn't increase the price by that much and would allow the people who already have a good audio setup to spend less.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #30,023 of 48,583

Agreed. I'd happily trade all the bells and whistles for something that does the job and sounds good. Heck, I'd be perfectly fine with a nice 5.1 DAC that I can just plug in to my own amp. Or even better, a combo unit with the ability to bypass the internal amp and use my own.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #30,024 of 48,583
  It does, yeah. So imagine a Mixamp 2015 which has mini toslink integrated with the headphone jack (and a separate mic jack) for those people who want their games to sound better. That wouldn't increase the price by that much and would allow the people who already have a good audio setup to spend less.

I'd be happy if Schiit released a simpler, awesome and more powerful solution to the Astro Mixamp. I mean, the X7 is great and all, but amp would have a heart attack if I even thought about driving anything like the T1 through it. It barely drives the Blackwood as it is. 800mW @ 32 ohms sounds pretty nice, but then it doesn't really translate well into headroom for planars. Doesn't help you can't even use a separate amp with it and retain the SBX processing.

That said, I love it for what it does, but I still have gripes. If I stay with PC gaming -erminently (sold my Xbone last night and still don't know if Persona 5 and Bloodborne is going to be enough for me to want to own a PS4) like I'm doing right now, I may just have to sell the X7 and use the optical out of a soundblaster Z to the Geek Pulse for SBX

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #30,025 of 48,583
Or just wait for a firmware update which will hopefully enable SBX processing to the line out/ or s/pdif out.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #30,027 of 48,583
  Or just wait for a firmware update which will hopefully enable SBX processing to the line out/ or s/pdif out.

I'm skeptical on that one, as they should have put it in like they already had with their other soundcards. I'm thinking it's related to the USB input, as the optical in can get SBX processing as it passes to the optical out (as per their manual.) It just seems that USB out from USB doesn't exactly work very well. Of course, I might be misreading everyone's posts and neither optical in nor usb in get SBX optical out.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #30,028 of 48,583
I overheard a little bird telling me that Fostex TH600 are the second best Closed headphone! Where Can I find for that $500 price or cheaper? I sold my X1 and Tritton 720+ . How is the noise canceling on it?

www.razordogaudio.com open box.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #30,029 of 48,583

I'm skeptical on that one, as they should have put it in like they already had with their other soundcards. I'm thinking it's related to the USB input, as the optical in can get SBX processing as it passes to the optical out (as per their manual.) It just seems that USB out from USB doesn't exactly work very well. Of course, I might be misreading everyone's posts and neither optical in nor usb in get SBX optical out.

I emailed the Creatve support a while ago, they confirmed that X7 does not passes an SBX processed signal through the optical out or line out. I'm pretty sure it's a software limitation, and as such could be resolved in a future firmware upgrade.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #30,030 of 48,583
^ Sure hope so. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back