Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #27,736 of 48,564
Astro has help forums that are pretty good. I would ask for help there. Not heard of mic distortion using mixamp with other people, and as I wrote I do not have this issue when chatting so I would contact Astro.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #27,737 of 48,564

whats actually wrong with it? is it the same issue as me?

tried every fix under the sun and it hasnt worked, i dont think its a hardware issue because many others are saying the same thing. the temporary fix im using is to lower the mic input volume on ps4 but then i have to put the mic closer to my mouth.

I get a very buzzy noise as well through the microphone that is significantly impairing my voice clarity. Essentially my friends said I sound terrible and they can't stand listening to it since they are used to me sounding crystal clear.

The same headphone / microphone combo (Philips X2 - VModa BoomPro) work perfectly through the DSS2 with the Symba USB audio adapter. It also works brilliantly plugged directly into the controller.

Additionally, I tested this with the modmic 3.0, zalman clip on mic, and a radioshack headset microphone with the exact same results. My Mixamp firmware is up to date and I have never had any issues like this with my Astro A50's.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #27,738 of 48,564
I contacted modmic about their stuff in relation to PS4 use and they told me they get mixed results with the PS4 and I should look at alternatives. I use a Senn Game One no problem.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #27,740 of 48,564
Fleat, can you explain how you simultaneously use the Symba and DSS, or take a pic? Thanks!

Courtesy of rezneffix: 

It is a bit of a kludge which is why I wanted to try out the Astro MixAmp, but it works very well for me.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #27,741 of 48,564
Ah thanks, I didn't think about looping the incoming chat audio back around into the DSS, but then the one time I tried using my dss' 3.5mm Jack I had trouble getting that to work.

Thanks again!

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #27,743 of 48,564
  Courtesy of rezneffix: 

It is a bit of a kludge which is why I wanted to try out the Astro MixAmp, but it works very well for me.

Would this work on the DSS1 also?  Is this officially the cheapest alternative for surround and chat on the PS4?

EDIT - @Mad Lust Envy you should add this to the DSS section of the guide.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #27,744 of 48,564
Ah thanks, I didn't think about looping the incoming chat audio back around into the DSS, but then the one time I tried using my dss' 3.5mm Jack I had trouble getting that to work.

Thanks again!

Not a problem. Yea, it is a bit messy but it works well. The only catch is that you need to adjust the game -> voice balance in the playstation device settings which can be a bit inconvenient in game.

I figured I would give it a shot since I got the DSS2 for $15 on eBay (w/o cables) and the Syba adapter for another $7 on Amazon. Not a terrible setup for the cost, but I was hoping for improvement with the Astro MixAmp Pro and a simplified setup.

Interestingly enough, the Astro MixAmp Pro plugged into the PC with the same setup produces extremely clear voice with minimal microphonics in audacity. This leads me to believe that the issues appear to be specific to the USB pass through to the PS4.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #27,745 of 48,564

Would this work on the DSS1 also?  Is this officially the cheapest alternative for surround and chat on the PS4?

EDIT - @Mad Lust Envy you should add this to the DSS section of the guide.

Unfortunately, I do not have a DSS1 to test with so someone else will have to test this theory out. I hope this info about my setup helps people out though. If you can manage to snag the DSS2 at a decent price on Amazon, you are looking at less than $30.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #27,746 of 48,564
It also works with the DSS v.1. Been using that setup for years now.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #27,748 of 48,564
I just built a new custom gaming PC and am looking for audio help.. As there are almost 2000 pages in this thread it is hard for me to compile all the info I need. I am looking at possibly purchasing the new Astro mixamp pro, I currently am using V-moda m100's with the V-moda boom mic along with on-board sound and I seem to have issues with positional queues playing Call of Duty on the PC. I don't know if its my m100's, my ALC1150 - Realtek on-board audio or a combination of both. Will the mixamp help? Should I invest in a new headphone?

My concern is that my living room is pretty loud with my girlfriend often having the TV on and I've tried the Zalman clip on mic and it picks up too much background noise. That's why I invested in the boom mic. If I go to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro would I need an amp to go with the mixamp? If so which amp? Also would it be better for me to get a DAC and Amp and not get a Astro mixamp or would that ruin my positional queues? What would I do about a mic if I? 

Any and all help would be beneficial, I apologize in advance, as you can tell I have done a ton of research and now need a some direct answers to my questions based on the research I've done.

I am FPS gaming, I am on Dolby Axon or Skype while gaming so I need the best Mic and Headphones. I want to keep total cost of all needed equipment below $500 but I could go over if needed. Thanks in advance.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #27,749 of 48,564
  I just built a new custom gaming PC and am looking for audio help.. As there are almost 2000 pages in this thread it is hard for me to compile all the info I need. I am looking at possibly purchasing the new Astro mixamp pro, I currently am using V-moda m100's with the V-moda boom mic along with on-board sound and I seem to have issues with positional queues playing Call of Duty on the PC. I don't know if its my m100's, my ALC1150 - Realtek on-board audio or a combination of both. Will the mixamp help? Should I invest in a new headphone?

My concern is that my living room is pretty loud with my girlfriend often having the TV on and I've tried the Zalman clip on mic and it picks up too much background noise. That's why I invested in the boom mic. If I go to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro would I need an amp to go with the mixamp? If so which amp? Also would it be better for me to get a DAC and Amp and not get a Astro mixamp or would that ruin my positional queues? What would I do about a mic if I? 

Any and all help would be beneficial, I apologize in advance, as you can tell I have done a ton of research and now need a some direct answers to my questions based on the research I've done.

I am FPS gaming, I am on Dolby Axon or Skype while gaming so I need the best Mic and Headphones. I want to keep total cost of all needed equipment below $500 but I could go over if needed. Thanks in advance.

If you're using it on a PC exclusively, don't get a Mixamp.  They're not very good but they're one of only a few options for console gaming.  On PC you have a lot more options.  

I'd personally recommend getting a Sound Blaster Z/Omni but there's also some good options from Asus Xonar.  These will give you quality surround processing.  If you still have problems with positional cues at that point, it's likely your headphones.  The M100 is closed and closed phones tend to have worse soundstage and imaging than open cans.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #27,750 of 48,564

If you're using it on a PC exclusively, don't get a Mixamp.  They're not very good but they're one of only a few options for console gaming.  On PC you have a lot more options.  

I'd personally recommend getting a Sound Blaster Z/Omni but there's also some good options from Asus Xonar.  These will give you quality surround processing.  If you still have problems with positional cues at that point, it's likely your headphones.  The M100 is closed and closed phones tend to have worse soundstage and imaging than open cans.

I appreciate that, I purchased a soundblaster z on my last pc and it was defective on arrival and I had a bad taste in my mouth thereafter with the company. I would consider purchasing one again but if I could find another option I would rather. Also, what about a dac and amp, no good for gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back