Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #26,911 of 48,562
So I on and off lurk the thread a bit, but I hadn't seen much talk about them but did anyone have any thoughts about the Turtle Beach elite 800s? My lady has been looking for a new headset and she's torn between the a50 gen 2 and the turtle beach ones but there seems to be incredibly little information out there on both

I personally think DTSX > DH.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #26,913 of 48,562
I personally think DTSX > DH.

The only DTSX Headphone I've heard was the Hans Zimmer apps. The positioning was very believable, but I have yet to game with it.

I wonder how Sony's headphone surround is lately. On a recent wireless model, Sony's base unit has HDMI and optical inputs and passthrough outputs, and is able to make headphone surround from Dolby Digital Live, Dolby HD, DTS Master, etc, and the Amazon reviews are very positive (better than Sennheiser R170). Overall I just don't like wireless compromises much, but I'm sure many would like just such a setup.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #26,916 of 48,562
Trying to figure out my setup. Have learned so much from this thread and ya'lls responses. I've been narrowing things down and I know mostly what I want, but I'm still in need of some recommendations. Hope you smart peoples in this here thread can help. Here's a link to the thread I made.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742213/recommendation-for-reciever-w-dolby-headphone-up-to-400

http://www.head-fi.org/t/674798/brief-guide-to-marantz-av-receivers-with-dolby-headphone-hdmi

Try here.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #26,917 of 48,562
The only DTSX Headphone I've heard was the Hans Zimmer apps. The positioning was very believable, but I have yet to game with it.

I wonder how Sony's headphone surround is lately. On a recent wireless model, Sony's base unit has HDMI and optical inputs and passthrough outputs, and is able to make headphone surround from Dolby Digital Live, Dolby HD, DTS Master, etc, and the Amazon reviews are very positive (better than Sennheiser R170). Overall I just don't like wireless compromises much, but I'm sure many would like just such a setup.

what is this sony base unit you talke about? and headphone?

not a fan of wireless but I just want to read on it

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #26,918 of 48,562
Chances are good that it'll be an improvement. The Omni already sounded better and had a much more capable amp. It's a "upgrade" or "step-2" device for sure though, many people will be happy just sticking with the more than 10x cheaper Turtle Beach DSS off of eBay. But for people with harder to drive or less sensitive headphones, or people that can make use of the wide array of features, the X7 is a signal of our headphone niche expanding.

Indie and retro games withstanding, sample quality of game audio has been improving, particularly on BluRay disc games and the current-gen consoles with dedicated audio processors. Now, if the X7 will be out of your budget, then it'll be out of your budget, but eventually we'll see sales, trickle-down and competitive offerings, and heck budgets change too.

The ZxR is better than the Omni. Now imagine the ZxR having its very own power supply in the form of a X7. Should lead to cleaner output and better bass control. As I said, the ZxR can drive the HD 800 for gaming and movies very very fine while the Mixamp and others absolutely can't. What do I try to say with this? Get a HD 800 (yes!)? No, it means that you're getting quite a good package that hasn't been made before and you can be happy about it, even though the price isn't too attractive. 

Now it's time for Sony to allow multichannel audio over USB then we can ignore AC3 and nobody needs to pay more. =D

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #26,920 of 48,562
Rudy,
And I know you'll like the fact that the price for a Recon3D USB has gone up... I forgot that you had one of those.
I do believe that, if your console and computer are next to eachother, there's enough input options to leave both plugged in. Here's hoping anyway. But yeah, if hooking the Recon3D up again every time is a pain (I don't like reconnecting my PS4 between bedroom and game room right now), then you'd be solid with a Z or Omni. Good luck on sale prices!

Maybe try restoring your phone's software? That can help if just quitting apps and restarting the phone doesn't improve it anymore.

Yethal,
That actually looks pretty awesome, looking forward to impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

I always thought the bold look of the HD598 was handsome.

Yes i do have one and yes, I have read that the Recon3D has gone up in price. But i will probably keep it for a while longer, at least until I can check out good reviews on the X7 and the price drops a bit...at least to the $300 range. If that happens, Ill gladly sell my Recon3D....but for now, It will do for my needs.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #26,921 of 48,562
  hello!!!!
im taking the first steps in quality audio, and i want you help if possible
i have a 200€tops for a headphone 150€ is where im more comfortable. i can only buy in EU shops 
i cant decide between AKG k612 /sennheiser hd 598  /beyrdynamics dt990, recommend others if u think are more suitable 
For sound card i will get asus xonar u7/ SOUND BLASTER X-FI HD/SoundBlaster Omni  wich better?

i currently have a superlux 681 evo i like the sound but the lead singer voice is overpowered by the background sounds making a bit wied to hear more vocal songs 

im not a bass-head i want headphones for music mostly and gaming (bf4) not hardcore gamer but still want to know from where im getting shot from trying to get the most immersive experience as possible.
my music tip is EDM/POP/ROCK a bit of everything

if someone could enlightenment me i really appreciate 

thanks
Starv3d

bump

someone?

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #26,922 of 48,562
  bump

someone?

You will be super happy with any of those.  Just flip a coin or buy the cheapest ones.  Don't overthink it at this point.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #26,923 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Someone suggested DT 990s instead of the 770s because of "better soundstage for gaming".

Well, my primary use of these headphones is for gaming, but the only thing Im worried about is the sound leaking back into the mic.

Anyone have experience with DT 880s/990s with a ModMic?

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #26,924 of 48,562
  Does anyone know if the DT 990's wil leak enough sound to go back into a modmic?

Unless you listen to audio at levels that will quite literally leave you deaf then no, it won't.

I havent heard any headphone that leaks enough for any mic to pick it up, except the He400 and HE4, which basically function as portable speakers either direction.

Asking again won't change the answer.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #26,925 of 48,562
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/674798/brief-guide-to-marantz-av-receivers-with-dolby-headphone-hdmi

Try here.

Well it is a place to start.  Thank you for the link.  I don't know which might be best for my set of speakers and headphones but I guess I'll come back with some picks and ask around.  From what I've seen Marantz isn't the only option for receivers with dolby headphone.  I also need this to be under $400.  I guess I can find something on eBay.  I also don't know how good the DACs are in them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back