Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #26,896 of 48,562
The Creative guy basicall says: X7 is a 2014 Version of a High End Soundcard for Gamers and Audiophiles
-connectivity above all, like smarpthone via BT/NFC, PC/NB-> USB 192 blablaa, analog in, input for high end mics, passive speakers, optical in/out, 

SO BASICALLY HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SHARE WITH US AND JUST READS THE X7 PAGE FROM HIS MIND. I COULD DO IT TOO.

Unfortunately our niche is so small that not even tech editors from hardware sites can ask critical questions like AC3/DTS or future revisions with HDMI in etc. because they don't know chit and just plug their earbuds into the front panel.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #26,897 of 48,562
  The Creative guy basicall says: X7 is a 2014 Version of a High End Soundcard for Gamers and Audiophiles
-connectivity above all, like smarpthone via BT/NFC, PC/NB-> USB 192 blablaa, analog in, input for high end mics, passive speakers, optical in/out, 

SO BASICALLY HE DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SHARE WITH US AND JUST READS THE X7 PAGE FROM HIS MIND. I COULD DO IT TOO.

Unfortunately our niche is so small that not even tech editors from hardware sites can ask critical questions like AC3/DTS or future revisions with HDMI in etc. because they don't know chit and just plug their earbuds into the front panel.

Unfortunately. Well, thanks for clarifying that.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #26,898 of 48,562
Got the AKG545 today what I have heard so far is they have a decent amount of bass with not that much impact and they are compfy headphones ..got them for a good price £113, I have tried them out of the ps4 controller and they sound good through that!

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #26,900 of 48,562
Can someone fill me in on what the "X7" is? I've seen it brought up many times in the last 20+ pages.

I hope you have at least looked at the cpuple of previous post. Evshrug posted a link to the x7 website. Tells you pretty much everything we know so far...we wont know much until its released. But to keep it simple.... Its like the recon3d but better and with more options and better quality internals.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #26,901 of 48,562
The rumored price of the X7 makes it rather questionable, honestly. I'm going to feel bad for consuners if the sound quality isn't that different than the much cheaper Recons, when gaming.

I mean... we're talking about game sound production, here, which is quite lacking on most games. No device can fix that, just like no $1000 DAC can fix a low bit rate music file.

Just saying...

If I'm wrong, oh well. I just have my doubts.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #26,902 of 48,562
The rumored price of the X7 makes it rather questionable, honestly. I'm going to feel bad for consuners if the sound quality isn't that different than the much cheaper Recons, when gaming.

I mean... we're talking about game sound production, here, which is quite lacking on most games. No device can fix that, just like no $1000 DAC can fix a low bit rate music file.

Just saying...

I think the X7 will sound like the sound blaster zxr with extra speaker terminals and a headphone hanger!!!

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #26,903 of 48,562

Just saying...

Chances are good that it'll be an improvement. The Omni already sounded better and had a much more capable amp. It's a "upgrade" or "step-2" device for sure though, many people will be happy just sticking with the more than 10x cheaper Turtle Beach DSS off of eBay. But for people with harder to drive or less sensitive headphones, or people that can make use of the wide array of features, the X7 is a signal of our headphone niche expanding.

Indie and retro games withstanding, sample quality of game audio has been improving, particularly on BluRay disc games and the current-gen consoles with dedicated audio processors. Now, if the X7 will be out of your budget, then it'll be out of your budget, but eventually we'll see sales, trickle-down and competitive offerings, and heck budgets change too.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #26,904 of 48,562
So I on and off lurk the thread a bit, but I hadn't seen much talk about them but did anyone have any thoughts about the Turtle Beach elite 800s? My lady has been looking for a new headset and she's torn between the a50 gen 2 and the turtle beach ones but there seems to be incredibly little information out there on both

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #26,905 of 48,562
So I on and off lurk the thread a bit, but I hadn't seen much talk about them but did anyone have any thoughts about the Turtle Beach elite 800s? My lady has been looking for a new headset and she's torn between the a50 gen 2 and the turtle beach ones but there seems to be incredibly little information out there on both

Using elimination method, going with elite 800s seems to be a better choice since a lot of people are complaining about the new a50s being slightly worse than the previous ones.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #26,906 of 48,562
Chances are good that it'll be an improvement. The Omni already sounded better and had a much more capable amp. It's a "upgrade" or "step-2" device for sure though, many people will be happy just sticking with the more than 10x cheaper Turtle Beach DSS off of eBay. But for people with harder to drive or less sensitive headphones, or people that can make use of the wide array of features, the X7 is a signal of our headphone niche expanding.

Indie and retro games withstanding, sample quality of game audio has been improving, particularly on BluRay disc games and the current-gen consoles with dedicated audio processors. Now, if the X7 will be out of your budget, then it'll be out of your budget, but eventually we'll see sales, trickle-down and competitive offerings, and heck budgets change too.

Not out of my budget, so don't automatically assume. Just not worth it, to me...

Edit: I forgot, this is head-fi. People will spend $300 for a 2% increase in sound quality. I've fell victim to this, myself. Eventually, I realized that the small percentage of sound quality increase doesn't justify the amount of money being shelled out.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #26,907 of 48,562
Using elimination method, going with elite 800s seems to be a better choice since a lot of people are complaining about the new a50s being slightly worse than the previous ones.

I may just end up going with the elite 800s for her if that's the case even if info is a bit sparse on both. I'm kind of surprised at that but hey, sometimes you just have to jump in.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #26,908 of 48,562
Not out of my budget, so don't automatically assume. Just not worth it, to me...

Edit: I forgot, this is head-fi. People will spend $300 for a 2% increase in sound quality. I've fell victim to this, myself. Eventually, I realized that the small percentage of sound quality increase doesn't justify the amount of money being shelled out.

Out of "a" budget, excuse me I meant "your" in a more general sense and not targeted at Change is Good specifically.

I would totally jump on the X7 if it was $300!

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #26,909 of 48,562
Been listening to AKG545 all day, just out of the ps4 controller been gaming and watching twitch with them..they have got just the right amount of bass for gaming,they have a nice clean sound nothing sounds harsh or muddy with a nice size soundstage but not as big as some..if anyones looking for a pair of headphones just for using straight out of the ps4's controller without a dac or headphone amp these are the ones to get!

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #26,910 of 48,562
Trying to figure out my setup. Have learned so much from this thread and ya'lls responses. I've been narrowing things down and I know mostly what I want, but I'm still in need of some recommendations. Hope you smart peoples in this here thread can help. Here's a link to the thread I made.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742213/recommendation-for-reciever-w-dolby-headphone-up-to-400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back