Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #26,686 of 48,566
Valid point, but couldn't you get a nice decoder that DID do those things and then hook it up to a NICEE amp and run that to your headphones for that price? I mean, more wires, but if it has more value, then I think it is possible competition. Please correct me if I am wrong though!

I have heard nothing of the AD700x :/

Well wow haha HD558 under $100?!  Go for that. I have the pc360's and the drivers are similar if not the same and it helped a TON when I used to Scrim for COD4 (vs my Razer Carcharias lol). I think that is a winner

Mad also thought the PC360 was a winner if you just wanted a competent integrated headset, there's a review of it on the first page guide. PC360 = HD558 + built in mic.

AD700x = AD700 painted black&gray instead of purple & light rose gold, maybe a headband "wing" revision.

Hooking up the little processor units + nice amp is what we do now, an amp does specific nice things, but so do DACs. I don't think people will jump straight for an x7, I think that device will be for people who have been waiting for a low noise amp circuit and a high quality DAC that also does surround.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #26,687 of 48,566
Mad also thought the PC360 was a winner if you just wanted a competent integrated headset, there's a review of it on the first page guide. PC360 = HD558 + built in mic.

AD700x = AD700 painted black&gray instead of purple & light rose gold, maybe a headband "wing" revision.

Hooking up the little processor units + nice amp is what we do now, an amp does specific nice things, but so do DACs. I don't think people will jump straight for an x7, I think that device will be for people who have been waiting for a low noise amp circuit and a high quality DAC that also does surround.

Indeed. I might still have to double amp my power hungry cans though. It would be convenient if the X7 had a DSP/DAC out. Anyone knows whether it can be used like the U3 in this aspect?
I suppose it doesn't matter much as the amp in the X7 is pretty nice, so double amping shouldn't really do much harm.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #26,689 of 48,566
Why are you always so lazy, Docta? 
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #26,690 of 48,566
Lol I swear I did a quick search and compare up with some neox7 but the only thing I saw that actually had neo in the url was in German and page wouldn't load. I searched x7 dolby

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #26,692 of 48,566
Indeed. I might still have to double amp my power hungry cans though. It would be convenient if the X7 had a DSP/DAC out. Anyone knows whether it can be used like the U3 in this aspect?
I suppose it doesn't matter much as the amp in the X7 is pretty nice, so double amping shouldn't really do much harm.

Um, why?
So, the X7 does have an optical out, and all the current Sound Blasters with optical out can pass the SBX processing through to an external DAC, and it has line-out RCA connections if you are ok with the 127 S:R DAC but want to use a different amp, but... Most things you could connect it to won't be better than the X7 itself.
The X7 should be adequate for even 600 ohm headphones, only like the HE4 might benefit from more amping, and the OpAmp is also upgradable. The DAC is spec'd very high. The only time I can think you'd benefit from extra externals is if you love tubes or want to connect to surround speakers, which you'd probably have that AVR plugged straight into the console anyway.

So, other than "just because you can," why?

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #26,693 of 48,566
Um, why?
So, the X7 does have an optical out, and all the current Sound Blasters with optical out can pass the SBX processing through to an external DAC, and it has line-out RCA connections if you are ok with the 127 S:R DAC but want to use a different amp, but... Most things you could connect it to won't be better than the X7 itself.
The X7 should be adequate for even 600 ohm headphones, only like the HE4 might benefit from more amping, and the OpAmp is also upgradable. The DAC is spec'd very high. The only time I can think you'd benefit from extra externals is if you love tubes or want to connect to surround speakers, which you'd probably have that AVR plugged straight into the console anyway.

So, other than "just because you can," why?

Good to know that, thanks!
Well, I have the HE-560, which even though is not as hard to drive as the HE-4, still benefits from power. Plus, my regular DAC and amp are pretty good too, so there will be room for comparisons :]
I'll certainly try just the X7, then the X7's DAC to my SA31SE and then just the SBX to the NFB7/SA31SE.
I mean, it is great to have choices, isn't it?
The current console offerings don't offer any form of line-out so this is really good news 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #26,694 of 48,566
Just a small update on the state of my headphone gaming experience, the HE-400i (modded) is absolutely wonderful for gaming. So wonderful in fact that even though the HP200 are more convenient to use when gaming I find myself reaching for the 400i every time. I can use the BoomPro with the 400i which is a downer but I have a workaround in place with a cheap clip-on microphone. I may upgrade to a better mic a little down the road since people can pick up my washing machine and other background noises with the current mic.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #26,697 of 48,566
Nice run down of headsets/headphones very informative.

What would people recommend, I have a sound blaster z already with a mic and have a pair of ath m50's for music listening. I currently have ax720's the band is starting to crack along the top so probably time for me to a new pair.

Console is no longer a issue to will be used for purely PC gaming. Looking around the £100 mark.

I use a program called chevolume for telling certain programs when to use optical or when to use 3.5. Would 2 3.5 cause it to play through both headphones? If that's the case I would probably need to go optical.

Thanks for time

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #26,698 of 48,566
  Yes sir :)

Edit: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/creative-sound-blaster-x7-announced.html

doest say much but thats a link of the X7

blerrggghhhh December release date?! Patience is not strong with me...

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #26,699 of 48,566
Alright so I'm pretty sure I'm getting the fidelio x2 headphones for my yet to be purchased and assembled Linux PC and yet to be purchased Xbox One. As I see it I only have two appealing options. An amp & DAC with the 2011 mixamp pro or wait for the x7. I don't want a soundcard as is only a solution for the PC + it's not going to be as good as an external DAC and amp. As far as I can tell the x7 is a great DAC/Amp and it provides me my virtual surround sound on PC & console, although it isn't Dolby. I think since both of these work for Windows they can be run on Linux. Feel free to give me feedback on that.

Looking for ideas in general, I'm totally new to this. Is the Schiit magni a good solution with the x2?

EDIT: Oh and the x7 is my price limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back