Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #2,657 of 48,583
Dude, in the case of the DT990 pros, I think something else with a bass boost that rolls off treble would do you a world of good. The reason I would not go with the ZO2 is because it enhances the whole spectrum. The DT990 does NOT need to enhance the treble side of the spectrum. Unless you want your ears to bleed.

The Fiio E7 has a fantastic Bass Boost that adds bass, but reduces treble. If I wanted more bass, the E7 would be perfect for me.

Actually, I'm beginning to think the DT990 has more bass than I want now. I'm gonna put it to the test, but perhaps being so used to the less bassy KSC35 has changed my bass needs.

Man...

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2,658 of 48,583

Quote:
Dude, in the case of the DT990 pros, I think something else with a bass boost that rolls off treble would do you a world of good. The reason I would not go with the ZO2 is because it enhances the whole spectrum. The DT990 does NOT need to enhance the treble side of the spectrum. Unless you want your ears to bleed.
The Fiio E7 has a fantastic Bass Boost that adds bass, but reduces treble. If I wanted more bass, the E7 would be perfect for me.

I thought the E10 is better at amping than the e7? it also has bass bost just only one option, i read a review comparing them both, e10 trumps the e7 in dac too...i just wish it was more powerful to drive them :/ although they have a high gain mode...hm.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2,659 of 48,583
Oh, it is, I was referring just to the bass boost in the E7. It has 3 settings. The 1st setting is subtle and reduces treble slightly. The other two are huge bass boosts and alter the sound of the headphone, lol.

I was speaking from experience. I never heard the E10 or E11. I'm waiting on the E17, or perhaps the E15 before I upgrade my source components.

I dunno how the E10 or E11 do bass boosts, as it's not important to me, and I was waiting for a true successor to the E7. The E10 isn't because it's only a USB DAC/AMP, which doesn't work in any way other than the USB. The E11 is just a portable amp, which I have no need for.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,661 of 48,583
I know it's a very early impression, but if I were to compare the Premium vs the Pro DT990 in overall SQ, I'd say the Premium sounds better for me. The Pro is too much of a basshead can, and I'm more of a semi-basshead.

Either my tastes have changed, but I think they're a bit too bassy. I'm gonna spend some time with them since Amazon has a pretty large window of return for the holidays. I may just go to the 880 Pros. I didn't feel the Premium DT880s were lacking bass, though I wanted more. Considering the Pros are closer to the ears due to clamp, I would say the880 pros might have the little extra bass push over the Premium 880s that I would be happy with...hopefully.

The DT990 Pro hits all the right spots for a basshead. It's very bassy, very clear, and has high quality sound. However, for those of us who aren't complete bassheads, the Premium DT990 would suit us better.

The one thing the Pro DEFINITELY does better is control that unruly treble of the Premium DT990.

We'll see what happens. Right now I'm 50/50, but it's too early to have a final say. Maybe the mythological burn in, or me without a headache would favor them even more.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2,662 of 48,583

Quote:
I know it's a very early impression, but if I were to compare the Premium vs the Pro DT990 in overall SQ, I'd say the Premium sounds better for me. The Pro is too much of a basshead can, and I'm more of a semi-basshead.
Either my tastes have changed, but I think they're a bit too bassy. I'm gonna spend some time with them since Amazon has a pretty large window of return for the holidays. I may just go to the 880 Pros. I didn't feel the Premium DT880s were lacking bass, though I wanted more. Considering the Pros are closer to the ears due to clamp, I would say the880 pros might have the little extra bass push over the Premium 880s that I would be happy with...hopefully.
The DT990 Pro hits all the right spots for a basshead. It's very bassy, very clear, and has high quality sound. However, for those of us who aren't complete bassheads, the Premium DT990 would suit us better.
The one thing the Pro DEFINITELY does better is control that unruly treble of the Premium DT990.
We'll see what happens. Right now I'm 50/50, but it's too early to have a final say. Maybe the mythological burn in, or me without a headache would favor them even more.

Actually, I know a fellow headphone supremus that said that the diffrences were ********, that it was basically the same, just another phisical design/clamp force.

BTW, i'm really glad you consider them "too much of a basshead can"

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2,663 of 48,583
Dude the difference is minor, but with so much experience listening to headphones, the differences ARE there.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2,665 of 48,583
With a good soundcard that has Dolby Headphone, I think that's all you will need for the HD598. I personally feel they like amping more than people say, but a good soundcard like the Essence STX should do the trick.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2,667 of 48,583

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense. I already know it boosts the whole frequency range. What do you think that would do to the DT990's already ridiculously peaky treble? Please go ahead and say it doesn't make it peakier than it already is.
You don't have to try it out. By the graphs, it's blatantly obvious that boosting it higher than it is would be bad news for certain headphones.
Of course for laid back headphones, it would be beneficial. Never said otherwise.
However, as stated before, there are plenty of people who don't like to alter the signature of their headphones. I'm one of them, other than altering the sound of horrible headphones like the XB500. Though that needs a a bass reduction, not a bass boost.

Quote:

Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about in this case. I've spent EQing a lot over the course of 7 years or so, I know these things. If you boost the whole range evenly, you don't get any brighter sound. It's all about frequency balance of the whole range, if you boost also all other frequencies equally much as you boost the peaky frequencies it won't get you brighter sound, in fact it gets you a little less sibilance, I know this from experience. 

In fact there's been a few people who actually reported less sibilance when using ZO because that's the side-effect you get from boosting the whole range making it more forward sounding in the entire range, it smoothens out peaks/dips a little, at least that's how our ears percieve it.

It's especially nice fit for a headphone with a "thin" sounding V-shaped sound signature like those Beyers, cuz it adds body to the midrange from perceived more even balance, just ask the PRO900 users who use ZO. :p

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,668 of 48,583

Quote:
Dude the difference is minor, but with so much experience listening to headphones, the differences ARE there.

deja el "dude" ese ya LOL

y nunca dije que no estaban, clamp/design does that!

Lo ultimo que te dire es esto, para ya no joderte mas xD:

Simply download this song, and play this otehr one in youtube @ 720p and tell me what you think of them on the dt990 pros and thats it, ill leave you alone :)

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/53428158/file.html = sub bass @ 0:58 and a kickass starting bassline with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7YR77jHwQ

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,669 of 48,583

Quote:

Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about in this case. I've spent EQing a lot over the course of 7 years or so, I know these things. If you boost the whole range evenly, you don't get any brighter sound. It's all about frequency balance of the whole range, if you boost also all other frequencies equally much as you boost the peaky frequencies it won't get you brighter sound, in fact it gets you a little less sibilance, I know this from experience. 

In fact there's been a few people who actually reported less sibilance when using ZO because that's the side-effect you get from boosting the whole range making it more forward sounding in the entire range, it smoothens out peaks a little, at least that's how our ears percieve it.

It's especially nice fit for a headphone with a "thin" sounding V-shaped sound signature like those Beyers, cuz it adds body from perceived more even balance, just ask the PRO900 users who use ZO. :p

O snap :p

Btw rpg, buy the dt990 pro please..i want to see your impressions of them with the Zo2 >:) it just sounds like the perfect headphone for us, Soundstage for gaming, great bass (plus Zo to meet our basshead requirements), detail, clarity.... just buy it! :D

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2,670 of 48,583
Yet, when I had the XB500, I EQ'ed-up the whole frequency to get a brighter sound. See what I did there? Personal experience, brah.

base, he wouldn't like the DT990s, he likes his headphones duller than hell. He hates treble for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back