Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #26,296 of 48,583
I would get rid of the numbers and have 2 categories. Immersion and competitive. Have your definition of each that you're basing your thoughts off of and not having a score. I think people will take the numbers into consideration and then base the price off each. Saying this is a $300 headphone and it's only rated 9 compared to a $100 headphone that you rated 9 aswell. Just my thought but if I had to score my K712 Pros, it would be close to your numbers anyways, although if I compared them to the K701 I would probably give out 10s to the K712.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #26,297 of 48,583
You know, forget I ever brought up the numbering system. I don't want to be the cause of the removal of it because I said I was confused by it just a little.

The numbering system is important. I've got friends who still don't believe that audiophile stereo headphones with DH sound a lot better than any crappy gamer brand out there, so if this guide was just a bunch of long reviews, they wouldn't read it.

There has to be SOME form of quick reference for the new guys.

But I'm not so stupid as to rely on the numbers. The issue is that I've looked at the numbers, and the reviews, and I was still not sure what to get because I'm being careful as I don't want to take a noticeable hit on the CAL's musical performance. If I hadn't used the CALs and was buying from say the porta pros, I wouldn't have an issue, I'd just go for one of the many better options at the higher prices.
But with the CALs, they are already high on musicality and competitiveness, so I'm trying to work out what's better relative to the CAL. Unfortunately in the review there wasn't a great deal to go on in terms of comparisons to other headphones in the guide.

Hence what to get was still unclear. Hence I asked here, hence received feedback, hence problem solved. No longer any issue.

I'm not accusing anyone of doing something really wrong here. I made a comment about the 1-10 number system being too compressed, which I still feel could be true, and I made some joking remarks about rich guys and statisticians.
I also think it's not clear whether the scoring is relative to price ranges or not, which still isn't clear to me.

I understand that headphones are a subjective topic, and I understand that the reviews and comparisons can't be 100% accurate because one person can't own all the headphones in the guide at once. I understand that the guide can't do everything, which is why I asked here. I think you should get of people's case about being confused by the guide. The very nature of the process is confusing and probably always will be. Can't a guy just be confused, ask in the comments, and get unconfused, without getting told off for being confused?
I'm not going by the numbers, I'm going by every piece of data I can find, that I judge as reliable. I've read the detailed reviews too.

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #26,298 of 48,583
Hello everyone I'm new here and I have a Q701 + Schiit Vali and Astro Mixamp 2010.
I just wanted to add something on here in case people like me were looking for an answer. So I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for my mixamp so I can listen to my friends on PSN party chat. For some reason it is incredibly quiet for me and I have to turn the dial all the way down to voice or game just to hear them. I have no clue why this is. Anyways, I bought the adapter and plugs a 3.5mm cable from the mixamp to the controller (using the adapter of course) to my surprise (I was also pretty pissed) it didn't work. As a matter of fact it was worse my friends voices were just filled with static. SO I unplug the 3.5mm cable and it started working perfectly (wouldn't mind an explanation to this)I have the dial back in the middle and I can hear everyone AND the game sound and music clearly it's almost as if I tricked the mixamp. So now when I turn on my PS4 I make sure to plug in that 3.5mm cable to the controller and unplug it so I can hear everyone. I thought it would be like xbox where I would just plug it straight into the controller but I guess not.

hope this helps anyone wondering what the hell is going on and gives tips and tricks to try out?

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #26,299 of 48,583
  Hello everyone I'm new here and I have a Q701 + Schiit Vali and Astro Mixamp 2010.
I just wanted to add something on here in case people like me were looking for an answer. So I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter for my mixamp so I can listen to my friends on PSN party chat. For some reason it is incredibly quiet for me and I have to turn the dial all the way down to voice or game just to hear them. I have no clue why this is. Anyways, I bought the adapter and plugs a 3.5mm cable from the mixamp to the controller (using the adapter of course) to my surprise (I was also pretty pissed) it didn't work. As a matter of fact it was worse my friends voices were just filled with static. SO I unplug the 3.5mm cable and it started working perfectly (wouldn't mind an explanation to this)I have the dial back in the middle and I can hear everyone AND the game sound and music clearly it's almost as if I tricked the mixamp. So now when I turn on my PS4 I make sure to plug in that 3.5mm cable to the controller and unplug it so I can hear everyone. I thought it would be like xbox where I would just plug it straight into the controller but I guess not.

hope this helps anyone wondering what the hell is going on and gives tips and tricks to try out?

PS4 jack and xbox 360 chat jack have different wiring. Try turtle beach ps4 chat cable

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #26,300 of 48,583
Well thats the thing, I dont really need to because the voice chat is perfect I can hear everything perfectly, everything is fine I was just letting people know that are doing my set up or similar that it works and stuff to try out. Sorry for any confusion.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #26,301 of 48,583
Thanks, Feg. I in all honesty was on the verge of removing the scores completely, and simply changing the verdicts to simple: bad, ok, good, with words as to why I felt that way.

I mean, your reviews already have the "words." Most audio mags I've read don't assign a number to the overall quality or a particular area, just share enthusiasm or lack thereof (maybe brief relevant comparisons). The numbers clearly just confuse things, and YEAH if someone fails to analyze a review and just look for a number or rating then YEAH their actions are of someone who doesn't care.

We wanna help, I know you figured the guide was the best way to pay forward the experiences you were having, so just make it easier on yourself and imitate the pro reviewers :wink:

Sorry Fegefeuer, it has nothing to do with being lazy. This Thread helped me a lot to decide my next pair of HP for gaming (Q701), but I have read hundreds of posts, Youtube videos and reviews (although yours, Evshrugs and many more comments) and I spend a lot of time in my research (at least 40-50 effective hours... crazy :D ).

I have learned a lot and I try to help others with what I have learned. But if it could help to save other people time. Why not? Time is limited for most people.

I totally get the feeling that you ought to share what you learn, I also went on a research "binge" and spent days and days looking into options and reviews. I'd say I did far more research than I'd recommend to most people should (I could've spent that time enjoying the headphone!), however I will say that I felt very satisfied once I made my choice and had zero buyer's remorse. Same thing with my amp, my surround processors, my computer, my camera, my car, my shoes... Basically, gathering an excess of research is just how some people work, and then we scratch our head's when others make the same purchases in 10 seconds of deliberation.

Oh, and did you like my stuff? I keep debating on making more YouTube videos, I have a surround processor guide on the backburner (video is done just needs editing) but I keep putting it off.

Clearly what we need is some really rich guy to buy ALL the headphones in the guide, review them all, and keep them all for future reference!

Oh, you mean like that guy who made the massive flagship headphone round-up? He didn't use numbers, but he gave letter grades for each headphone in each class. Also, he worked for Headroom, so he had access to a large number of headphones concurrently (and somehow bucketloads of money).

Thing is, as comprehensive as his round-up was, I didn't agree with him on everything, greater experience be damned. For example, he LOVED the DT880 600ohm, and I got one too partly based off his review, but the mids bored me with their sterility and I didn't find them to offer anything my AKG's couldn't reveal too, they sounded clean but they physically made my ears ache and produce lots of earwax (signs of the body trying to protect from hearing loss), etc etc. The point is, the headphone's character was described in the review, but I still came away with a different opinion and couldn't live with the headphone.

I love Amazon's return policy, but I try not to abuse it (the DT880 was my first return, and it was already a near-new customer return unit).

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #26,302 of 48,583
I was searching online for comfortable but good sounding headsets suitable for the longer gaming sessions and came up with these two :

Sennheiser PC 320
Beyerdynamic MMX 2 

What do you guys think about these two ?

I heard they are better than these "mainstream" gimmicky headsets  from SC CA and SS ...

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #26,303 of 48,583
Ive been fumbling with all the extra cables between my ds4 and mixamp when chatting. I wish I hadn't rid myself of the Plyr1...

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #26,304 of 48,583
The MA900 I bought for my sister together with a DSS arrived last week at her palce and she started her first DHP/VST journey (she played TLOU with the Mixamp at my place for a few hours of her PS3 campaign last year) and is pretty mesmerized. I had to tell her to stop writing all the time and enjoy the game. 

The few hours I listend to it (had to open it to make sure it works before sending it out) that thing was :frowning2: practically a steal for around 160 Dollars. It's not available for that price anymore, in german forums many regret not having bought one 3-4 weeks ago. Somehow I wish I should have bought one for me too, such a well sounding emerald (although I am not used to that bass roll off).

Let's see if the MDR-Z7 price drops MA900 style in 2 years. 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #26,305 of 48,583
hi guy s i m looking for a best gaming headphone under 200 euro,i m competitive player i need a headphone with huge soundestage optimal direction and accuracy for positional audio(like a wallhack :D)i have read the guide and i m looking between
ad700x                                          fun 6 com 10 
dt990                                            fun 8.5 com 8 
akg k612(my vote)                        fun 7.25 com 9 
hd558(pc360 headphone)            fun 6 com 9 
akg k701                                       fun 6 com 10 
i know that score,akg k701 and ad700 are the best but aren t fun,they aren t immersive,gaming isn t only foots step or positional audio.don t wanna listel a bomb explosione like a bam....sxxt is a boom!!:)...akg k612 have good comp rating 9 and good fun 7.25....but have good soundstage directional audio and accuracy?someone suggest it for me or some other choise is better for me?i use soundblaster z with 600 ohm for amp

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #26,306 of 48,583
Get a K612. Not much better at that price range. MA900 would be a viable alternative for more immersion, but sadly, prices have skyrocketed.

Axel, HE400 WITH ALCANTARA PADS IMPRESSIONS, PLZ

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #26,307 of 48,583
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sony-MDR-MA900-Open-Air-Stereo-Headphones-from-Japan-/161429569381?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2595f3bf65

199 Dollars for you US guys. ={

Users who are viewing this thread

Back