Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #22,831 of 48,576
Yes, that's if you go deep into game's settings, and do some workaround, etc. I certainly don't have time for that, and FWIR, most new games don't even support it.

I seem to vaguely remember reading a discussion about how Creative used to have a particular kind of sound technology that was abandoned. I remember the guy was basically saying that he thought Creative isn't as good as they used to be. This sound tech apparently even simulated the Doppler effect.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #22,832 of 48,576
I just got word that The Last of Us Remastered for the PS4 will be using some "new" audio technologies, this came directly from one of the sound designers in TLoU. There's a good bet that they're using AMD's TrueAudio.

Though TrueAudio was pretty glitchy and poorly implemented on Thief (on the PC), would be interesting to see what Naughty Dog can do then. I mean, in the hands of a more capable team.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #22,833 of 48,576
Cool. This is the first time I look forward to turning off the DH button on my Mixamp. Other than when I play games that only do stereo. Should be very simple to compare the surround emulation with the flick of the DH button.

That being said, Naughty Dog games don't do all that well with surround cues.

I'm almost positive we can expect an Uncharted Full HD collection a year before Uncharted 4 hits.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #22,834 of 48,576
Cool. This is the first time I look forward to turning off the DH button on my Mixamp. Other than when I play games that only do stereo. Should be very simple to compare the surround emulation with the flick of the DH button.

I'm almost positive we can expect an Uncharted Full HD collection a year before Uncharted 4 hits.

Maybe not Uncharted, but The Last of Us had one of the best if not the best cues and overall quality I've heard on a console so far.
Everything sounds very good and is easy to locate.
Unlike GTA V for example..
IMO, YMMV.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #22,835 of 48,576

Really? I personally thought that TLoU was quite exceptional in surround cues and overall mixing quality. Ranks up there with MGS4, which I think is still the best in audio production on a console game.

Wow Uncharted Full HD? Please, Lord no.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #22,836 of 48,576
I didn't get a chance to play TLOU really, so I'm going off the Uncharted series which didn't have the best surround emulation.

And why not a Full HD Collection? It's not like you have to buy it. Also, there are many new PS4 owners who didn't own a PS3, and missed out on an amazing series. Uncharted 2 was arguably the best last gen game prior to TLOU.

I wouldn't mind going through those games at 1080p (and hopefully) 60fps. With the collection, they could add the Vita Uncharted game, which I KNOW most console gamers missed.

I don;t understand all the hate for collections. Or any game for that matter. You don't have to buy a game. Surely, a masterpiece series like Uncharted is more worthwhile than many other games that get updated ports.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #22,837 of 48,576
I would buy an Uncharted Remaster, no hesitation.

I agree on the TLOU. Even though I bought it for my sister (my time shall come with the Remaster) I watched her play over my home theatre and once with the Mixamp (putting on the headphones while she played a few minutes) and I agree with ben and conqueror. 

As usual Sony games are also always carefully and well recorded.

I recently wrote a mail to the good Dr. of Sucker Punch asking about binaural audio on the PS4 (funny thing is I did it one day before the revealed their binaural audio testing center) but sadly got no answer. Infamous audio mix is very good as well. 

I hope we'll get your geometry/material/coordinates rendering back (as it's actually kinda promised) + some standard headphone setting like CMSS-3D over OAL/DS, then we can just get the best portable or even stationary dac/amp for our needs and never look back. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #22,838 of 48,576
I didn't get a chance to play TLOU really, so I'm going off the Uncharted series which didn't have the best surround emulation.

And why not a Full HD Collection? It's not like you have to buy it. Also, there are many new PS4 owners who didn't own a PS3, and missed out on an amazing series. Uncharted 2 was arguably the best last gen game prior to TLOU.

I wouldn't mind going through those games at 1080p (and hopefully) 60fps. With the collection, they could add the Vita Uncharted game, which I KNOW most console gamers missed.

I don;t understand all the hate for collections. Or any game for that matter. You don't have to buy a game. Surely, a masterpiece series like Uncharted is more worthwhile than many other games that get updated ports.

Collections are great. I loved picking up some HD collections I missed on the PS2 and even picked up some classics I loved.
Same thing goes for PS4, but I'll be a bit more picky this time around, probably.
I'll be sure to get TLoU for PS4 this summer as the first one though, right with Infamous SS :]

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #22,839 of 48,576
Good to know TLOU has good surround cues. It's one thing that irked me with Uncharted, as it sounded more processed than normal, with less than stellar soundstaging and positional cues.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #22,840 of 48,576
^ I am sure you'll love it along with the 1080p and higher textures re-coat :]

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #22,842 of 48,576

You'll enjoy TLoU certainly.

Perhaps I came off wrong on a "no" with an Uncharted FHD collection. I'm all for it, just that right now I don't think the Uncharted 4 team (which according to Evan Wells is the majority of the entire studio currently) should be sidetracked with anything else but Uncharted 4.

There aren't many franchises that does well beyond a third entry, so it'd be sad to see Uncharted 4 being a downpoint in the series where Sony can't go back to. Basically, ND and Sony can't screw Uncharted 4 up.

Perhaps when they are close to completion, a few members can take off and work on the collection, that'd be great.

I would buy an Uncharted Remaster, no hesitation.

I agree on the TLOU. Even though I bought it for my sister (my time shall come with the Remaster) I watched her play over my home theatre and once with the Mixamp (putting on the headphones while she played a few minutes) and I agree with ben and conqueror. 

As usual Sony games are also always carefully and well recorded.

I recently wrote a mail to the good Dr. of Sucker Punch asking about binaural audio on the PS4 (funny thing is I did it one day before the revealed their binaural audio testing center) but sadly got no answer. Infamous audio mix is very good as well. 

I hope we'll get your geometry/material/coordinates rendering back (as it's actually kinda promised) + some standard headphone setting like CMSS-3D over OAL/DS, then we can just get the best portable or even stationary dac/amp for our needs and never look back. 

Second Son has some pretty good surround cues, I agree with that. The only thing which I found somewhat lacking was that some of the powers lack impact (almost like GTA5 in this sense). It's honestly a little bit underwhelming to me as I came off playing inFamous 1 & 2 just a couple weeks before Second Son releases. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #22,843 of 48,576
I have a PS3 and I managed to miss all the ND games.  I've been thinking about getting a PS4 later this year when more than one game is out for it and TLOU is definitely helping me lean in that direction.  An Uncharted collection would be an instant buy for me too.  Mostly, I just want to be on the console that all my friends are on and right now my friends are pretty split between PS4 and Xbone. 

But if PS4 gets the TruAudio going... that will definitely push me over the edge.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #22,844 of 48,576
I've watched some videos that demonstrate some of the virtual surround technologies, but I find it very different watching compared to when I'm in control and reacting to the cues. I would like to try them all eventually but at the moment I'm slightly more curious to try DH given its popularity.

This curiousity hit me too, though I started with (discovering that my Yamaha receiver had) Silent Cinema, then THX, then DH2, then SBX (on PC). Silent Cinema and Dolby Headphone sound about as close to each other as THX and SBX. I prefer Creative's approach because it sounds less processed.

Also, Mad Lust Envy, do you know if the Recon3D has an actual 3D (up and down as well as all around) output as opposed to the 2D sound that the mixamp outputs (just all around).

Yes, the Recon3D supports OpenAL, which enabled 3D surround, Doppler, environmental reflections, etc. Unfortunately, the day of OpenAL was back around the time of the original Thief game, Bioshock, and a few others, but unfortunately console gaming became so dominant around the time of CoD4 (and OpenAL became Creative soundcard exclusive) that game devs started dropping support for it. The last game I heard of that had it was Borderlands 2, and I think that was sort of an accident because OpenAL support was just a vestigial part of the game engine used. We're currently hoping AMD's integration of TruAudio will revive 3D audio as a cool next-gen feature, and our hope is whipped to a froth since the PS4 has the TruAudio hardware built-into it, but game developers have to (just) add the plug-in to their games.

I believe that if you use the Recon with USB from a PC, it can.  If you use it with Optical from a console, it can't.

Yes. But it has to be a part of the game :frowning2:

And why not a Full HD Collection? It's not like you have to buy it. Also, there are many new PS4 owners who didn't own a PS3, and missed out on an amazing series.

PS4 is my first Playstation! I couldn't stand the previous controller's ergonomics... in fact I still personally wish the underside of the PS4 controller was more fleshed out, perhaps Scuf Gaming will do that for me once they release their PS4 controller mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back