Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #22,801 of 48,580
Lol! There is probably a forum where people look for the best shampoos and are continuously buying more and more expensive ones like people here do with audio equipment. Is there such thing as a shampoophile? They'd probably be calling us noobs.

Back on topic, I was just looking through the Fiio range. I personally prefer the idea of a desktop amp. I then looked at portable media players out of curiosity and discovered the Astell&Kern AK240. I don't think I'll ever be that itchy!

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #22,802 of 48,580
  Lol! There is probably a forum where people look for the best shampoos and are continuously buying more and more expensive ones like people here do with audio equipment. Is there such thing as a shampoophile? They'd probably be calling us noobs.

There are enthusiasts for anything you can imagine. I'm sure there's some salon forum somewhere with a thread on shampoo. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #22,804 of 48,580

There are enthusiasts for anything you can imagine. I'm sure there's some salon forum somewhere with a thread on shampoo. 

But do they call themselves shampoophiles? I have no idea why the idea of a shampoophile is funny to me, but it is.

Maybe one day I'll act my age, but I'm 30 now and it hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

For those who have played RE1: Itchy, tasty.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #22,805 of 48,580
What I meant was
A.) You are new here, so a seller has no record of your interactions/reputation, which might be okay, except
B.) there's some reason you can't sign up for paypal, which is like 3rd party insurance for buyer and seller.

I totally understand wanting to find a deal, and yes this hobby sometimes stretches our budget (how could something be worth $250??), but all I'm saying is if a seller knows he/she has a good headphone in good condition, he/she is going to want it to fetch a good price. A deep discount is kinda like a favor, and nobody here can get an idea of why they would basically be losing money to help you buy headphones.

Okay thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if you were making a good point or insulting me because I am new here (saldy, I assumed the latter). I definitely get that PayPal is kind of like a "You can trust me" badge around here because of the insurance on both ends. Sadly I am under 18 (I was hoping you'd figure that out), so I can't sign up for a Paypal account legally and can risk having my account frozen if I do sign up. I hadn't known anything about PayPal (not even the insurance) until a couple of days ago. I turned to Head-Fi to get advice on the matter of buying some good audio gear, however, when it comes to buying used items that are expensive to begin with when I'm in a different country, I'm slightly hesitant because it's such a huge purchase compared to the other headphones I have bought and I don't want anything to go wrong. Without the Paypal, I have no backup plan so I have to buy new off amazon and such where I do have a backup plan with my method of purchase. When I said I want a good deal, I was simply referring to the little bit off the new price for it being used and not to the extent of paying ~$150 for a $250 pair of headphones. I have lots of experience with selling locally and know the importance of getting a fair amount of money for an item. I would prefer to make my first somewhat expensive purchase for audio gear a good experience and free of hiccups. In the end, I will be buying the X1 either local if they are used or off amazon if they are new.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #22,806 of 48,580

Ev's advice is sound (no pun intended).  Go for what sounds good to your ears more than anything else.  If you think it sounds good, why worry about abstract math?

That said... I got my amp in last night (because change is good) and the change with the Q701 is noticeable.  (I too was running off the Sound Blaster Omni.)  It's really true that you don't know what they're capable of until you amp them.  They didn't sound bad before, but they sound really good now!

My point?  If you're satified now, don't bother.  If you want to upgrade because you're feeling the itch, an amp will definitely serve you well.  I'm sure any of the inexpensive ones in the guide will be fine (E12, Magni/Vali, E09K, O2).

Dude, I've learned to be really careful of that quote.  It's almost always true, and not always for the better.  For example, when I finally dropped some real cash on a nice suspension for my motorcycle, it was night and day.  I had no idea what I was missing and I could never go back.  Now I HAVE to spend money for a nice suspension on every bike because I hate the feel of a crappy suspension.  It's expensive!

If you're satisfied with your current sound, be careful about upgrading or you may never want to go back!  lol

My HUGE problem is that I can't quite find my "satisfied" zone when it comes to audio. I started with the crappy apple earphones and a pair of on ear skullcandy headphones and I was almost completely oblivious to the audiophile world at that time, so, I was satisfied. After contemplating buying some over ear headphones for a trip, I stumbled upon Head-Fi and was amazed that there were some headphones out there that were well around $1000. After tons of research, I ended up buying a pair of Sennheiser HD449 over ears. Listened to them during a good portion of the trip and was amazed about how much of my music I was missing. Of course, being me, I eventually got bored of those and modded them for more bass as they were quite flat sounding.

After that, I wanted to replace my earphones to something budget friendly but nice sounding. I stumbled upon the HA-FX40 and saw people talking about how it was a hidden gem and such. Went out and bought a pair and was amazed at how much better it sounded than my POS apple ones. After I got bored of the FX40s, I upgraded to some GR07 Bass Editions and currently love those. 

As for my Skullcandy headphones, they broke and I eventually replaced them with some V-Moda M80s. Loved em', same story as the other two.

Now, I'm here looking for some headphones to replace both my HD449s and my Astro A40s as a gaming/music/movie headphone. I have decided on the X1 and the Boom Pro to go along with my Astro Mixamp. 

I'm quite scared that I will get the X1s and end up getting bored of those. Hopefully they finally hit my "satisfied" spot and I will stop upgrading constantly. 

Another issue I have is that now, when I listen to other people's audio gear, I have to force myself to not cringe because I'm so used to my higher level headphones and earphones. 

So... in the end... Head-Fi has changed my life for better and for worse 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #22,807 of 48,580
Napalm, I know why you think it's funny.
But do they call themselves shampoophiles? I have no idea why the idea of a shampoophile is funny to me, but it is.

Maybe one day I'll act my age, but I'm 30 now and it hasn't happened yet, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I am a child

Okay thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if you were making a good point or insulting me because I am new here.

Grumps,
I totally get it. When I was 15, I mowed lawns and babysat a little, saving as much as I could to buy an iBook. It took the WHOLE YEAR, but I scraped up the $1700 I needed to buy it (tho my mom ended up helping on the Tax, towards using it for school she said), so I get it that parting with any sizable stash of cash is a big deal, and you want to do it "right."

I don't get pleasure out of making people feel bad, in fact it makes me queasy, but I just wanted to make it easier to understand the other side. And for you, Amazon (even Amazon warehouse) does have the profit margins to offer a very liberal return policy, so you may pay a bit more but it might be the best fit for you.

Sorry if I sounded like an ass, hope ya laughed at the shampoo. It's been a kinda stressful day over here, but everything will be cool :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #22,809 of 48,580
  It was staring me in the face all along!

Amusingly, I didn't even notice because I was chuckling at the pretentious pronunciation: shampo'ophile (two long o's, like zooastrian).  The idea of people taking shampoo seriously enough to have such a serious sounding work... man I'm a nerd...

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #22,810 of 48,580
I feel I've lowered the tone of this thread a little lol.

Back on topic, aren't headphones great? Headphones, headphones, headphones. Mmmm lovely headphones.

I tend to give myself a couple of days to sleep on a decision and see how it sits with me. I think I'll leave it another day or so, but the X1, Boompro and Mixamp combo seems a good way to go. It's hardly the most original decision, seeing how a couple of others seem to be going that route. However it will fulfil my needs, and if I'm not satisfied, I'll blame it on them and say it was peer pressure 
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #22,812 of 48,580
I feel I've lowered the tone of this thread a little lol.

Back on topic, aren't headphones great? Headphones, headphones, headphones. Mmmm lovely headphones.

I tend to give myself a couple of days to sleep on a decision and see how it sits with me. I think I'll leave it another day or so, but the X1, Boompro and Mixamp combo seems a good way to go. It's hardly the most original decision, seeing how a couple of others seem to be going that route. However it will fulfil my needs, and if I'm not satisfied, I'll blame it on them and say it was peer pressure :p

I laughed a bit more than I should have at this... Probably because I had a tiring day. I think I'm going to wait a little while before I pull the trigger on the X1 and Boom Pro. I shouldn't ignore my tiny speck of doubt. It's nice to have others making the same choices as the ones I'm making at the same time as it adds a bit more confidence to this purchase.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #22,813 of 48,580
Does anyone know where I could get a Victor SU-DH1? I've been down the Astro Mixamp lane and I think the audio quality of the AM is terrible.

Could you elaborate as to why you found the Mixamp bad? Im curious :p From what I see online, the SU-DH1 is only for headphones and not headsets so you'd lose the mic functionality (just in case you didn't know already). When I had my mixamp set up on my PC, I had my audio output set to stereo and not 5.1 (I felt really dumb after I saw that) and they sounded bad until I set it to 5.1.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #22,814 of 48,580
  Does anyone know where I could get a Victor SU-DH1? I've been down the Astro Mixamp lane and I think the audio quality of the AM is terrible.

size]

I was just saying about how it seemed a good way to go!
I laughed a bit more than I should have at this... Probably because I had a tiring day. I think I'm going to wait a little while before I pull the trigger on the X1 and Boom Pro. I shouldn't ignore my tiny speck of doubt. It's nice to have others making the same choices as the ones I'm making at the same time as it adds a bit more confidence to this purchase.

You mentioned doubt and then this happens. Look what you've done!
2003_ren_and_stimpy_the_lost_episodes_004.jpg

Edit: Knew I'd find a relevant pic eventually.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #22,815 of 48,580
Could you elaborate as to why you found the Mixamp bad? Im curious
tongue.gif
From what I see online, the SU-DH1 is only for headphones and not headsets so you'd lose the mic functionality (just in case you didn't know already). When I had my mixamp set up on my PC, I had my audio output set to stereo and not 5.1 (I felt really dumb after I saw that) and they sounded bad until I set it to 5.1.

The sound is harsh. rough, and congested compared to your typical standalone audiophile equipment. The spatial processing is very good, but the actual sound quality of the amp and DAC are poor from my experience. I also do not want the massive cluster of wires that comes along with having the device hooked up.

Also, I game on PC and have a standalone mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back