Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #21,706 of 48,583
Yet nothing beats the HD 800 in comfort and forgetting having something on your head. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #21,707 of 48,583
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #21,708 of 48,583
  Hi guys, i'm new here and just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful discussion.

Quick story first, I ended up buying Senns PC360 because i like their sound signature and fact of having a boom attached to them. The only problem, a critical one, was the fact that they're uncomfortable for long term use. Their clamping force is aggressive on my ears or sides of my head. When stretching them to full-lose-size they still feel uncomfortable. I am using my computer for long hours of game sessions and comfort is a critical part for me. I was so disappointed because of that. I think i can still replace them because they're in my possession for only about 2 weeks, but they're expensive in my country and replacement rules here are, well...harsh.
As for my head- it's important to mention out that i have a wide head and that i'm wearing glasses. I was wondering, can you guys recommend me a more comfortable pair for gaming and overall pc usage?
Are the senns hd558 will feel better on my head? Perhaps i should set my eyes upon the Beyers?
Will appreciate any answer. And again, great topic!!
(Btw- Pc got SB-Z installed, so a 250 ohm driving capabilities are there)

When they start to get uncomfortable take a break..i play bf4 for about 3 hours at a time..I have a rest for a couple of hours and watch a bit of tv!

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #21,709 of 48,583
  Yet nothing beats the HD 800 in comfort and forgetting having something on your head. 

I disagree. I would make that same statement about the HD700. But I definitely prefer the sound of the HD800 over it. The HD800 is actually more comfortable if you wear it backwards and reverse the cables.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #21,713 of 48,583
Random question again:  Is there any benefit to using a DAC when gaming on a console?  On a PC?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #21,714 of 48,583
  Random question again:  Is there any benefit to using a DAC when gaming on a console?  On a PC?

If you use a decent dac the sound in games has a bigger soundstage and the music sounds more detailed and more hifi like..dacs can't carry a surround signal just stereo so you will need something else to give your headphones surround sound for games like bf4!

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #21,715 of 48,583

If you use a decent dac the sound in games has a bigger soundstage and the music sounds more detailed and more hifi like..dacs can't carry a surround signal just stereo so you will need something else to give your headphones surround sound for games like bf4!

Hmm, so you can't use a DAC and surround, it's one or the other?  Or do you mean you just have to have it inline with a mixamp or something?

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #21,717 of 48,583
  Hmm, so you can't use a DAC and surround, it's one or the other?  Or do you mean you just have to have it inline with a mixamp or something?

If you put the dac through a mixamp you will have surround yes.. some dacs have a codec so they can carry a dolby signal from say a blue ray player but you will only receive the sound in stereo..so you would need to add something like the mix amp to get surround sound!

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #21,719 of 48,583
  If you put the dac through a mixamp you will have surround yes.. some dacs have a codec so they can carry a dolby signal from say a blue ray player but you will only receive the sound in stereo..so you would need to add something like the mix amp to get surround sound!

So if I run a 5.1 signal into a DAC, it will only output stereo?  Once the signal is in stereo, if you run it through the mixamp you'll just have stereo, right?  But if you put the mixamp first, you've already done the DA conversion so the DAC doesn't do anything?  What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back