Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2,056 of 48,579
The Mixamp allows chat volume to go through the headset like it would with any other  (X41, A40, etc.) This is the major thing the Mixamp has over the DSS. The ability to use 3rd party headphones and effectively use voice chat. When it's coming through "speakers" it just sounds weird.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #2,057 of 48,579

Quote:
As far as sound quality goes, based on reviews I've seen from reliable people, I feel confident the DSS and Mixamp are near equal. What you really lose with the DSS is the ability to chat using a headset that wasn't made specifically for Xbox360 (and maybe PS3, not sure). In order to do that, you have to spend $10 on a third-party cable, and even more if you want the ability to mix chat volume.

I don't think the chat functions justify the $60 premium for the Mixamp because I don't need them right now and money is tight. If it was two months from now and I was set up with my campus job and had an income I would not hesitate to get the Mixamp over the DSS.

Besides the inability to mix in chat audio, the DSS has a higher noise floor than the mixamp -- you will hear quite a bit more hiss from it.  This doesn't matter so much when there is plenty of action going on in the game but just wanted to be sure you knew that.  On top of that, you're also wrong about the additional money you need to spend on the mixamp.  You do need to buy a optical cable as one isn't supplied but I'm almost certain nothing else is needed for the xbox setup.  The additional chat cable is only needed if you're gaming on ps3.  Even if it were additional, you don't have to buy those items now...but isn't it nice to know you have that option in the future??  You said chat isn't that important to you but you also said you may end up with a mixamp down the line.  Seems to me you should either buy it now or just wait until you can afford it. It is more expensive than the DSS but it is worth it.      

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,058 of 48,579

Quote:

Besides the inability to mix in chat audio, the DSS has a higher noise floor than the mixamp -- you will hear quite a bit more hiss from it.  This doesn't matter so much when there is plenty of action going on in the game but just wanted to be sure you knew that.  On top of that, you're also wrong about the additional money you need to spend on the mixamp.  You do need to buy a optical cable as one isn't supplied but I'm almost certain nothing else is needed for the xbox setup.  The additional chat cable is only needed if you're gaming on ps3.  Even if it were additional, you don't have to buy those items now...but isn't it nice to know you have that option in the future??  You said chat isn't that important to you but you also said you may end up with a mixamp down the line.  Seems to me you should either buy it now or just wait until you can afford it. It is more expensive than the DSS but it is worth it.      

I've only read a few reports that claim there is a noticeably higher hiss floor and many that say the quality is equal (such as this thread's author). I think the increased hiss is either coming from the mics of certain USB headsets or from plugging the DSS's USB power into a noisy PC USB. This is based on what I've read.

The price difference is $70 (DSS) vs. $130+$15 (mixamp+toslink). So if you think about it for current buyers, they are paying double to have the chat functionality. Before factoring in price, the Mixamp is hands down the better product. And even after it still seems pretty worth it unless you never play online. 

The reason I would rather not save up is because I would then have to play off stereo headphone from my sound card. But the onboard audio I am switching to doesn't support digital input so I can't get sound on my Xbox 360, so that would require me to buy a $30 sound card just to get stereo headphone.

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp/mixamp-usb
http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313600877&sr=8-1

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #2,059 of 48,579
I was debating between the DSS and the Mixamp, but I was able to get a DSS for very cheap so I bought it. I haven't tried the Mixamp so I can't comment on that, but I just took delivery of a new pair of AD700s and will put them to the test with the DSS in a few hours. I'll report back on the "hiss" issue.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2,060 of 48,579

Quote:
I've only read a few reports that claim there is a noticeably higher hiss floor and many that say the quality is equal (such as this thread's author). I think the increased hiss is either coming from the mics of certain USB headsets or from plugging the DSS's USB power into a noisy PC USB. This is based on what I've read.

The DSS has a higher noise floor. Its a fact.  Its not coming from any USB power interference or mics.  The thread author has never heard the DSS before. 

I have a DSS and mixamp 5.8 and use them both.  The surround sound quality itself is equal.

And you shouldn't be paying $15 for a toslink cable.  Stick to monoprice and pay $2-3.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #2,061 of 48,579
I've said it multiple times in this very thread among others, the dss definitely has a higher noise floor to it, and that's a considerable downside. The mixamp doesnt get noisy until about 60%, and even the mixamp at around 70% is comparable to the dss at 10%. Mentioned above about the mixamp giving you true voicechat is true as well, with the dss the voices are mixed in with the surround sound, so it feels as though they're coming from external speakers rather than your headphones.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2,062 of 48,579

Quote:

The DSS has a higher noise floor. Its a fact.  Its not coming from any USB power interference or mics.  The thread author has never heard the DSS before. 

I have a DSS and mixamp 5.8 and use them both.  The surround sound quality itself is equal.

And you shouldn't be paying $15 for a toslink cable.  Stick to monoprice and pay $2-3.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

I was referring to Mad Lust Envy's post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522756/earforce-dds-vs-astro-mixamp-vs-tritton-ax720-decoder

I've done lots of searching and I don't see why the hiss isn't mentioned more often as a strike toward the DSS if it's that noticeable. I just don't run into many posts that say "The sound quality is equal, but the DSS emits a hiss even at lower volumes which can be an annoyance."

Thank you for the link. Are the 3rd party toslinks on par with the Astro's? I assume it is but sometimes there is a markup for a reason.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,063 of 48,579

Quote:
I was referring to Mad Lust Envy's post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522756/earforce-dds-vs-astro-mixamp-vs-tritton-ax720-decoder

I've done lots of searching and I don't see why the hiss isn't mentioned more often as a strike toward the DSS if it's that noticeable. I just don't run into many posts that say "The sound quality is equal, but the DSS emits a hiss even at lower volumes which can be an annoyance."

Thank you for the link. Are the 3rd party toslinks on par with the Astro's? I assume it is but sometimes there is a markup for a reason.

MLE has definitely posted about the higher noise floor from the DSS on these forums before, but in any case I've also A/B'd the DSS and my mixamp so it is not speculation.  As I said, it's not a big issue but it's definitely there and noticeable.  Also, another vote for Monoprice -- they have great products and prices.  No need to buy Astro's cable.  

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #2,064 of 48,579
Noise floor isn't just about hiss and distortion at low levels. It's there at louder volumes regardless, and it may very well (subtely) cover up some frequencies at louder volumes as well. You may not understand that until you hear an amp with an absolute 'black' background-then going back to an amp with a higher noise floor and all of a sudden that previously 'unnoticed' distorion rears it's ugly head. So I for one definitely think a lower noise floor can still help to accurately pinpoint sounds when it comes to gaming amps as well.

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2,065 of 48,579
Ok I have done alot of researching and learned alot (or I am pretty sure I have) since I joined this forum to find a headphone. I am a competitive gamer, but I also listen to music like classic rock, and dubstep, rarely movies, and like to be immersed with
gaming(CS 1.6/CZ(don't make fun of me) ) as well as music. I would like to hear footsteps and wallspams in cs, and I also would like to have the best soundstage and imaging(directional pinpointing) available.

I have only had 20 dollar Wal-Mart headphones and a Gamecom 777 headset. I like closed headphones cause I don't want to hear the fan blowing, ect.

I have about $200 - $300 to spend on a headphone.

I have looked at alot of headphones, at first I thought I liked the AD700, I was about to buy it, then I saw the AD900, I was so excited i was about to buy that, but then I learned about how bass light it was and about how people were returning it because of that, which got me seriously researching because I don't want to buy one and be unsatisfied or buy multiple headphones (because I don't have money to throw around really).

I looked at:
AD700 - Read it was real good for positioning, had good soundstage, but was too basslight for immersion to really get into gaming and music.
AD900 - A little better than the AD700, but just the same about being basslight.
A 700/900 - Closed, good, but also heard the positioning and soundstage was reduced and the bass was better than the A700/900 but just wasn't good enough.
DT770 Pro 80Ohms - I then found this closed headphone, it was the headphone to get for gaming a few years ago (from what I've read) but some say it was just too bass heavy and the bass overpowered the rest of the sounds to get good positional accuracy and the sound stage (I know I have read that bass isn't good for that but people say it was WAY too overpowering for what it was)
DT880(forgot the ohm) - I found this and thought since it is semi-open/semi-closed, it would be really good, but then I read about people saying it leaks noise alot and how it isn't completely accurate in positional accuracy from behind or something, and that the bass is too light for the "immersion" like detail.
Superlux HD-668B - I havn't done much research on this, but what I have read is, people say this is a headphone up in the levels of the DT770 or something i think, and when I first posted in the other forum "post here to find a headphone" or something, Tacoboy recommended this to me. He said this is the one I should get.

After researching, I told myself I didn't want the AD700/900 or the A700/900, and i heard that the DT880 was semi-open so I wondered about how the sound leaked and that it was bad at pinpointing back directional sounds, then I looked at and researched alot more headphones and I think I am going to buy a DT770, i am just not sure about which Ohm I should pick, I will buy a Asus Xonar STX or a sound card and a dedicated amp (because I read that a STX cannot successfully power a headphone for maximum quality.) I didnt really think the Superlux HD-668B could be as good as a DT770 because of the price differences, so I couldn't really say anything much about that.

So I would like to know, am I making the right decision in picking the DT770? If I am right, which OHM should I choose and why? If I am wrong, please suggest a headphone and/or amp I should probably get instead of the DT770, and leave a reason why.

Thanks to all who gave me some suggestions in my first post, and thanks to everyone that will give me some good advice/suggestions in this post.

Thanks so much for reading.
/end essay

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,066 of 48,579

Quote:
MLE has definitely posted about the higher noise floor from the DSS on these forums before, but in any case I've also A/B'd the DSS and my mixamp so it is not speculation.  As I said, it's not a big issue but it's definitely there and noticeable.  Also, another vote for Monoprice -- they have great products and prices.  No need to buy Astro's cable.  

This is all just based on my research before I order Friday, I can't argue against those who have tested it out. I am selling my Nintendo DSi that I never used so I think I've been convinced to go with the Mixamp or forever be sadface at what could have been (in terms of chat capability at least).

Now off to find out wired or wireless mixamp.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,067 of 48,579

Quote:
Ok I have done alot of researching and learned alot (or I am pretty sure I have) since I joined this forum to find a headphone. I am a competitive gamer, but I also listen to music like classic rock, and dubstep, rarely movies, and like to be immersed with
gaming(CS 1.6/CZ(don't make fun of me) ) as well as music, I also would like to have the best positioning and imaging(directional pinpointing) available.

I have only had 20 dollar Wal-Mart headphones and a Gamecom 777 headset. I like closed headphones cause I don't want to hear the fan blowing, ect.

I have about $200 - $300 to spend on a headphone.

I have looked at alot of headphones, at first I thought I liked the AD700, I was about to buy it, then I saw the AD900, I was so excited i was about to buy that, but then I learned about how bass light it was and about how people were returning it because of that, which got me seriously researching because I don't want to buy one and be unsatisfied or buy multiple headphones (because I don't have money to throw around really).

I looked at:
AD700 - Read it was real good for positioning, had good soundstage, but was too basslight for immersion to really get into gaming and music.
AD900 - A little better than the AD700, but just the same about being basslight.
A 700/900 - Closed, good, but also heard the positioning and soundstage was reduced and the bass was better than the A700/900 but just wasn't good enough.
DT770 Pro 80Ohms - I then found this closed headphone, it was the headphone to get for gaming a few years ago (from what I've read) but some say it was just too bass heavy and the bass overpowered the rest of the sounds to get good positional accuracy and the sound stage (I know I have read that bass isn't good for that but people say it was WAY too overpowering for what it was)
DT880(forgot the ohm) - I found this and thought since it is semi-open/semi-closed, it would be really good, but then I read about people saying it leaks noise alot and how it isn't completely accurate in positional accuracy from behind or something, and that the bass is too light for the "immersion" like detail.
Superlux HD-668B - I havn't done much research on this, but what I have read is, people say this is a headphone up in the levels of the DT770 or something i think, and when I first posted in the other forum "post here to find a headphone" or something, Tacoboy recommended this to me. He said this is the one I should get.

After researching, I told myself I didn't want the AD700/900 or the A700/900, and i heard that the DT880 was semi-open so I wondered about how the sound leaked and that it was bad at pinpointing back directional sounds, then I looked at and researched alot more headphones and I think I am going to buy a DT770, i am just not sure about which Ohm I should pick, I will buy a Asus Xonar STX or a sound card and a dedicated amp (because I read that a STX cannot successfully power a headphone for maximum quality.) I didnt really think the Superlux HD-668B could be as good as a DT770 because of the price differences, so I couldn't really say anything much about that.

So I would like to know, am I making the right decision in picking the DT770, and if I am right, which OHM should I choose and why, if I am wrong, please suggest a headphone and/or amp I should probably get instead of the DT770, and leave a reason why.

Thanks to all who gave me some suggestions in my first post, and thanks to everyone that will give me some good advice/suggestions in this post.

Thanks for reading.
/end essay

I guess I should rephrase what I said.
The HD-668Bs are about 85% of the sound quality of the DT-770 250-Ohm headphones. I just did a fresh test.
My DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm need to use my ($75) 6922EH headphone tube amp. to function, because my Xonar DX barely powers them with all volumes controls maxed out,
I'm not sure I can run Dolby headphone 5.1 on my computer with the 250-Ohm headphones with the tube amp. between the sound card and headphones. (still experimenting).
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm will work fine hooked straight to the Xonar DX, but has too much bass for gaming or movies (long term listening).
So that's why I push the HD-668Bs, they work fine hooked straight up to anything without the need of a headphone amp. (but a good amp. makes then sound better).
The bass on the HD-668B does not over power my 47 year old ears.
If you decide you want something better (way more expensive) the HD-668Bs should be an easy sell.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2,068 of 48,579
Like I've said before, Ultrasones are the king of gaming(immersions wise and quite good competitive wise) and king of any Electronic genre and metal. You really need to hear the S-Logic to believe it.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,069 of 48,579

Quote:
Like I've said before, Ultrasones are the king of gaming(immersions wise and quite good competitive wise) and king of any Electronic genre and metal. You really need to hear the S-Logic to believe it.

Could you please suggest a particular one that is in my price range that is good? thanks
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,070 of 48,579
I would go with the HFI-2400 or 2500 for gaming, open headphones have better soundstage most of the time. The only model I have heard is the PRO 2900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back