Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #2,044 of 48,578
Sure, but he said "without Dolby Headphone" and "stereo."

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2,046 of 48,578

Quote:
As for the DSS vs Mixamp: The DSS is really just a poor man's Mixamp. The DSS still does the most important thing you want it to do- process stereo into surround sound. What you lose out on are a game to voice volume mixer, and some inputs. The Mixamp will take RCA, 1/8" headphone, TOSlink, and Coaxial for inputs. The DSS will only take TOSlink and 1/8" headphone.

By the way, I just looked, and the Mixamp is only $40 more than the DSS. It also comes with a nice 12 foot RCA piggyback cable (like the one linked but much nicer), and everything you need to hook up a third party headset. To be fair, the DSS does come with an optical cable, when the Mixamp does not.

The DSS is $70 shipped and sold from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313548683&sr=8-1 
It's a lot more attractive than the $90 price tag on their site.

I don't fully understand all the capabilities. I don't know what the RCA piggyback cable is for (I thought that was for a TV setup which I do not use), and I do not know what Coaxial input is. The DSS will cost me $70 total for the time being, with the mixamp being $130+$15 for cable, or $140 for wireless.

If I wasn't already going over budget I would definitely go for the Mixamp but I don't think the DSS would be terrible either. I might end up with the wired/wireless Mixamp anyway though, it's definitely tempting.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,047 of 48,578
If I didn't need the voice to game volume mixer then I would get the DSS. Like I said before, they both do what's most important... mixing stereo into surround sound. If you can get the DSS for $70, then I say go for it.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,048 of 48,578
Hey Chaay if you go for the MixAmp and need an optical cable, PM me your address. I'll send you one for the cost of shipping from Singapore (I don't use it as I no longer own amps that can utilise TOSLink)

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #2,049 of 48,578
@Eric_C, Thank you for the kind offer but I think the cost of shipping from that distance would far exceed just buying my own
smile.gif

Quote:
Both the DSS and Mixamp have 1/8" headphone inputs.

So looking at the DSS, it looks like I would use the 3.5mm to 3.5mm to connect the analog in to one of the 3.5mm ports on my PC and then I will get sound through my headphones via the DSS?

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,050 of 48,578
That is correct. It will allow you to have the computer and Xbox both connected to your headphones at the same time (And you'll even be able to stream music from your PC while gaming), though you'll only get the stereo to surround sound processing for the Xbox (Optical in).

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #2,051 of 48,578
Wow. That sounds so, so much nicer than the setup I had envisioned less than a day ago. I'm so excited to order everything now! Going from integrated audio and desktop speakers to a decent set of headphones and Dolby Headphone is going to blow my mind.

Thanks again for answering all these my questions.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #2,052 of 48,578
ok I keep wondering, even with the astro mixamp, when you hear voice chat on a non xbox 360 head phone do you have to use "speaker" setting? or does it come through "headset" channel like your x41's, A40's. Cuz this is the only thing keeping me from my ideal budget all rounder set up: Superlux 668b, astro mixamp, not sure what mic? would prefer boom mic to stick on the side, but clip-on might be ok. The other thing is i'm not to sure what the  668b is like with gaming? but i'm assuming it would smash my x41's?

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #2,053 of 48,578

Quote:
ok I keep wondering, even with the astro mixamp, when you hear voice chat on a non xbox 360 head phone do you have to use "speaker" setting? or does it come through "headset" channel like your x41's, A40's. Cuz this is the only thing keeping me from my ideal budget all rounder set up: Superlux 668b, astro mixamp, not sure what mic? would prefer boom mic to stick on the side, but clip-on might be ok. The other thing is i'm not to sure what the  668b is like with gaming? but i'm assuming it would smash my x41's?

Take some comfort for the lack of negative reviews from Superlux owners.

Aug 17, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #2,054 of 48,578

Quote:
Take some comfort for the lack of negative reviews from Superlux owners.

But does it answer SteelRain's question of 668 vs X41 for gaming?

Quote:
ok I keep wondering, even with the astro mixamp, when you hear voice chat on a non xbox 360 head phone do you have to use "speaker" setting? or does it come through "headset" channel like your x41's, A40's. 

Hey SteelRain, I saw on your other thread you mentioned that sound was tinny when you output chat audio through "speakers"? Was it game or chat audio that went all tinny? 
I don't have a MixAmp, but I do game on Xbox Live with my regular headphones. I output chat audio to Speakers Only, and have the Xbox's wired headset around my neck, so that the mic points up in front of my mouth. Works fine for the most part--my friends hear me clearly, but I have to turn down game audio (that is to say, SFX and Music) in order to hear them, and when the action heats up my friends often have to repeat what they say.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2,055 of 48,578

Quote:
The other thing is i'm not to sure what the  668b is like with gaming? but i'm assuming it would smash my x41's?

I've searched and there's absolutely no information on 668b gaming. There was one guy who tried them out earlier in this thread and disliked it; He said the mids felt recessed and the soundstage was comparable to the AKG 240 (which is said to have a good but not great soundstage).

But if you check one of the 435678578 posts about the 668b regarding music, most of the reviews are quite positive so I wouldn't worry at all about gaming with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back