Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,936 of 48,580
It's meant to be very large.  My head is of average size I feel (around 23inches circumference above the ears) and the AD700 fits very loosely.  I'd describe them as being ill-fitting, but extremely comfortable.  You get use to the loose, wonky fit after a while, and they become extremely comfortable.

I personally found the AD700 to have a bit of front/rear positioning trouble compared to something like the DT990.  Compared to higher end cans, the AD700 also sound rather off-timbre overall as well, but their soundstage remains ridiculously large and spacious even with DH.  I can't comment on the PC 360.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,937 of 48,580

Best at their price points? Sure. Best over all? Hell no.

-Daniel

Quote:
Hello everybody, my first post! :)

Mad Lust Envy told in his review that Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and Sennheiser PC 360 are the best for gaming. But can you tell which one is better?

Of cource PC 360 has a mic but let's not focus on that. PC 360 is also quite a bit more expensive, but may fit better for me because I don't a have a big head. (I've heard that AD700 is a very large headset and isn't comfortable for smaller heads...)

But what I want to hear is that which one has better audio for fps-gaming. I'm looking for the best.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,939 of 48,580

Quote:
It's meant to be very large.  My head is of average size I feel (around 23inches circumference above the ears) and the AD700 fits very loosely.  I'd describe them as being ill-fitting, but extremely comfortable.  You get use to the loose, wonky fit after a while, and they become extremely comfortable.

Wow, really? I thought my AD300 fit too loosely, which is why I sold it off.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,940 of 48,580
The DT 880 Premium sounds fantastic, very neutral sounds, but i think i may need a touch more bass for some of the games i have in my collection. Has anyone had any experience with the DT 880 Pro (250)? If so how is the bass for this model? Is it just as 'bloated' as the DT 770 Pro? Hope someone can clear that up for me.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,941 of 48,580
I have the DT 880 Premium (250) and the bass is just fine. I was playing inFamous 1 last night, and the explosions are certainly loud enough, plus the closing track at the end of the game was plenty thumpy for me. What are you using to drive your 880? And what headphone would you consider to have sufficient bass?

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #1,942 of 48,580

Quote:
I have the DT 880 Premium (250) and the bass is just fine. I was playing inFamous 1 last night, and the explosions are certainly loud enough, plus the closing track at the end of the game was plenty thumpy for me. What are you using to drive your 880? And what headphone would you consider to have sufficient bass?

I have a Xonar Essence STX Sound Card with the Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier built onto the card. There is also an extra MOLEX power connector to power high impedance heaphones, at least i think thats what it's for. This is the thing, im not entirely sure myself what i think has sufficient bass. The last pair of headphones i owned were some Speedlink Medusa 7.1 (yeah tell me about it) but i never rated the sound quality or the bass, they were just awful to use over long periods as well. I sold those and now im in the market for some proper headphones with some punchy bass and excellent sound quality. I need bass due to the music i listen to, mainly Drum and Bass and Jungle, and also the games i play. They aren't all FPS' but i would like the bass to have some weight to it rather than sounding like a tin can.

I have done a lot of reading over the last week and i'm really struggling to decide. I may just bite the bullet and get the much cheaper DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. The place where i can get them offer a 30-day money back guarantee so if i feel it has too much bass and lacking sound quality i can return them and try something else.

Right now im reading a lot and constantly changing my mind at the last minute. I think i just need to buy and try. As the DT 770 Pro is within my budget it's seeming like a win-win. Some say the bass is too bloated but maybe i can tame it with the EQ if i decide it's too over powered. Would that be possible?

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,943 of 48,580
Based on what I keep reading here, if you can get parametric EQ it seems fairly certain that you can tame or boost bass (or any other section of the frequency range, for that matter). Therein lies the problem/solution: if you can EQ bass out of one headphone, why can't you EQ bass into the one you already have? 

For sure, we're not talking about turning the DT 880 into an XB 500 with EQ, but have you tried EQ-ing to add some of the bass that seems missing?

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,944 of 48,580
Hi guys, I am looking for a pair of headphones which also sound good without an amp. I'm going to connect them to my X-Fi Champion Front Panel and Mixamp 5.8 wireless incl. voice audio.
I tried the PC360 but I miss the soundstage of the K701s, it's much wider and everything is clearer (Xonar Essence STX).

Which pair do you recommend from 100-250$?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #1,945 of 48,580

Quote:

Do you have that odd rear positioning issue that MLE had with his DT880's?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,946 of 48,580

Quote:
Based on what I keep reading here, if you can get parametric EQ it seems fairly certain that you can tame or boost bass (or any other section of the frequency range, for that matter). Therein lies the problem/solution: if you can EQ bass out of one headphone, why can't you EQ bass into the one you already have? 

For sure, we're not talking about turning the DT 880 into an XB 500 with EQ, but have you tried EQ-ing to add some of the bass that seems missing?

Yeah i don't think i have a Parametric EQ let alone what one is. If i am going to get the 770 Pro's then i won't be messing with taking the bass out, if it's too powerful i will most likely try to make it slightly less powerful. Only slightly but I don't know. It's something that i will have to mess around with once i get them. Im leaning towards those as they are much cheaper than the DT 880's and i can always return them within 30 days if im not happy. If i do end up returning them (but im guessing i will love them) i will then try the 880's. I'm pretty annoyed that there isn't an audio shop i can go into and try different models out.

I haven't tried adding bass or messing with it as i have no headphones yet. Hopefully by next week i will have a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #1,947 of 48,580

Quote:
Hi guys, I am looking for a pair of headphones which also sound good without an amp. I'm going to connect them to my X-Fi Champion Front Panel and Mixamp 5.8 wireless incl. voice audio.
I tried the PC360 but I miss the soundstage of the K701s, it's much wider and everything is clearer (Xonar Essence STX).

Which pair do you recommend from 100-250$? The HD598 they got amazing soundstage

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,949 of 48,580
Great thread even though I read 13 pages out of 130
wink_face.gif
. I wanna know if anyone tried to use Fostex T50RP for gaming, these are orthos so I guess amping would be necessary, but you could mod them to your own taste. 

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,950 of 48,580
Great thread guys. Due to this thread I've upgraded from a surround headset to DT880/600s and an E9. Obviously a major improvement. I Didn't realize you could get surround from stereo headphones before coming here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back