Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #18,706 of 48,562
Hey MLE, have you checked out the new Creative Aurvana Live! 2? I saw that you liked the original CAL! and I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the CAL! 2's.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #18,707 of 48,562
  Why not just get a Schiit Magni (or O2) headphone amplifier and plug it into the Titanium?

I have an asgard already and i could perfectly well plug it int the titanium, but the problem with the Titanium (as with any sound card i assume) is that it is very far from neutral to my ears.
While i do enjoy its sounds with the Z-5500 for gaming, its far from "good quality".
Also I am planing to get a HD800 and i hear the ground loop from the titanium :D.

You have an X-Fi Titanium already?

You can just output a CMSS-3D Headphone-mixed signal to an external DAC with S/PDIF input. Headphone surround accomplished!

Yeah, bouth it long ago. Not sure how Optical works really thats why im asking. I will check it out once i get the DAC (probably still 3-4 months from now) so np there.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #18,708 of 48,562
Dec 6, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #18,709 of 48,562
It's on the first page. People just don't look at my guide, I see.

That's not true, I read it all multiple times!
I just forgot the golden rule for once - think first, post later :p

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #18,710 of 48,562
Ummm....The G430 uses Dolby Headphone...sooo...

A DSP that increases resolution, detail, and makes things sound more natural and real + better imaging and soundstage?  No offense, but it sounds a little hard to believe.  Especially if it's using Dolby Headphone - like it says it is.

That matchbox video is a binaural recording BTW, not dolby heapdhone or any other DSP.

I know it uses Dolby Headphone, but it uses something else as well, it uses more processing because this sounds way better than just regular dolby headphone. I know that because the sound changes when I start some video material with several channels. For example, If I'm listening to music in foobar2000, and then I start a blu-ray in some other program, the sound of music in foobar drastically changes, on top of already being changed by having the surround enabled. I'm telling you, I know what dolby is, I've owned 10,000 dollars worth of headphones in the last 3 years and ALL of them went trough the process of gaming and watching movies using my Asus ST as a sound card with dolby headphone enabled, so I know exactly how dolby headphone changes the sound, and this Logitech's processing is superior.

As for increasing the detail, resolution, and makes things sound more real, yes, that is exactly what it does. I don't know why you find that difficult to accept, because the very point of these headphone related DSP's is to make the headphones sound...more REAL, and it actually makes the sounds sound more real. Its the most realistic feeling I've gotten so far with any sort of surround sound processing. Turning the surround mode on and off while listening to music clearly increases the soundstage DRASTICALLY, at least double the amount of the dolby headphone on the asus sound card, it moves the soundstage forward, places the instruments where they're suppose to be, and vocals have a very strong central position, they feel like they're in front of you, its actually closest to feeling like I'm listening to speakers. The thing is, unlike the dolby on asus sound card, which changes tonality of the sound pretty drastically, this one doesn't. I don't know what else it does, I assume on top of the dolby headphone it uses several more dsp's, but it just adds space, clarity and precision to the sound. Also, I know that the matches video is binaural, I never said its not. I just said the logitech processing has a very similar effect, in that its more realistic than any other dolby or surround mode I've tried, and I've tried all of them. I've played around with **** tons of plug ins and DSP's in the jriver and foobar as well, tb isone, etc.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #18,711 of 48,562
This is a quote from a thread here re: the Corsair Vengeance. It's no great performer by any means (I had one on loan for a bit), however this is interesting:

I am very familiar with the Vengeance 1500s, since I work at Corsair (but not on the headsets). For music, you almost certainly want to either use one of the preset music EQs or tune one yourself to match your preferences. The Vengeance headsets were tuned to match a response curve that's designed for HRTF performance. This means the low-frequency response is lighter, in order to preserve the dynamic range in the low-mids where the majority of the positional cues are found.

As far as advice for/against Dolby Headphone through a USB headset or a soundcard with Dolby (or other positional simulator), HRTFs are extremely complex to do correctly, and generally work best when exactly matched to the response curve of the headset and even the axis of the driver relative to the ear cup. This means that *most* people get positional audio cues better from a USB headset because the audio engineers can design the entire system to produce the closest representation of the HRTF. Of course, your mileage my vary, etc.

These days, do we find it so hard to believe that a USB soundcard can sound good? And given the above statement regarding the specific tuning of the soundcard to the headset.. well.. who knows? I'm out of here.........

Dec 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #18,712 of 48,562
There was one guy who wrote a nice comprehensive review comparing them... kman1191 I think, he already replied to you and I suggest you look up his review. Personally, I heard and liked the MA900 quite a bit, agree with Mad's review it's a great all-rounder with top-tier soundstage imaging, but it had a sort of veil that (without decreasing detail) seemed to make the listener take a few steps back from the action... Just not as involving for me as my AKGs. What I read about the K612 had me interested in a possible bargain blend of the Q701 and K712, though I haven't heard it I'm keen.

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I've read his review, which basically is the only thing that I could find on the internet, and that's what really made me interested in those headphone. I've also heard people saying that it has the same drivers used in the K601, while others swear it's actually an upgraded driver and that it sounds better. This is so confusing, lol.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #18,713 of 48,562
I guess I'll have to reacquire my Slyr from my aunt, and let her use something else. I need a headset... and the Slyr will do.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #18,714 of 48,562
The babies have arrived!

Not gonna comment on the sound yet.
As far as comfort goes though, other than the velours being slightly itchy [it seems to be going away with time though] it is supreme.
First impressions are positive - it is bassy but not as bassy as I'd thought [good!], sound is a bit soft with the stock cable [expected, but it's subtle, compared with a cable I had lying around, still waiting for the one I've ordered though], a bit less airy than the MA900 [IMO] but very relaxing sound yet still involving [IMO].
So far very good with music, will test with games later tonight,
I gotta say, the MA900 and X1 are rather different, still both very, VERY good.
Keeping both!
[Itchiness is gone :]]
Also, beautiful headphones, they are!

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #18,715 of 48,562
Yeah, the itchiness takes getting used to. Same as the MA900's partial on ear feel. Both become incredibly comfortable once you adjust to their feel.

And yeah, they're quite different from one another. The X1 is a bit more refined, but also a bit less balanced.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #18,716 of 48,562
Hello Mad Lust Envy and everybody else. 

So my marantz receiver did great with my iGrado's. The problem is that the head clamping lets me only game for like an hour, before going back to my 5.1 system because of the clamping. So I am looking at another set of heatphones/headset. I have done some research with your guide as a basis. And I picked these three headphones:

Sennheiser PC 360 (160 euro)
Sennheiser HD 598 (180 euro)
Audio technica AD700x (240 euro)
AKG k/q 701 is at least 300 euro's over here in Europe.... so I am afraid it is not really an option for me.

My first question is, as I was thinking about getting the PC 360 at first, is how much better the HD598 and AD700 are in sound quality compared to the PC 360? 

As adding a separate mic is not a big deal for me, it seems the HD-598 are the better option (just because no money is 'wasted' on the mic, but that is just reasoning, I have no experience with any of these, so I would like to hear your opinion). 
On the other hand, if the sound quality and comfort between the two are as comparable as your grading seems to indicate, the PC is cheaper and has a free mic.... (I know you point out the grading is not comparable, but still they overlap quite a bit... so again, I would like your opinion)
Also, which of the two has the most clamping in your opinion? 

Next to that, is the AD700 worth 60 euro's over the HD 598 in your opinion (when looking at being comparative for gaming)? 
Also, how is the clamping of the AD700 compared to the Senneheisers? I heard the AD700 are very comfortable (you-tube, not really reliable), while you say they are mediocre in comfort.
The lack in bass for the 'fun' part is a drawback for me as well. So my question would be, is it really noticeably better for 'soundwhoring' compared to the sennheisers, to overcome the higher cost and less fun when listening to music?

I understand some of these questions are opinion based, but your opinion seems to be respected in allot of places, which at least beats the opinion of some random you-tube kids. I am also planning on testing every headphone in a store before I order one, but I am not too sure if every one of those is testable in my near vicinity (the Netherlands).

Thnx in advance for your reply! 

Qupie

EDIT: after reading this post, the 558 seem to be a nice contender aswell... and quite a bit cheaper. Do you agree?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/605834/sennheiser-hd-558-vs-pc-360-vs-hd-598/15

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #18,717 of 48,562
It's on the first page. People just don't look at my guide, I see.

I definitely read through your whole guide including why you started it and many of the $150-300 price point reviews. Was super helpful. Thank you so much for putting it together. :p

How are you liking the PS4 so far? I've got the Xbox One and am so far kinda disappointed, but some of the games have made it worth it.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #18,718 of 48,562

So my marantz receiver did great with my iGrado's. The problem is that the head clamping lets me only game for like an hour, before going back to my 5.1 system because of the clamping. So I am looking at another set of heatphones/headset. I have done some research with your guide as a basis. And I picked these three headphones:

Qupie

The Sennheisers clamp a bit (Senns are known for clamp), and the AD700 doesn't clamp enough (a super loose fit).

Can you afford the Sony MA900? That would be an ideal solution.

Gdubz, I like it. Not worth really getting either console at the moment, but if there is something you really wanna play, I guess I'd say it's worth it. For me, there isn't enough, and the settings are lacking. I know it will get getter in the future, so I'm hopeful.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #18,719 of 48,562

Sennheiser PC 360 (160 euro)
Sennheiser HD 598 (180 euro)
Audio technica AD700x (240 euro)
AKG k/q 701 is at least 300 euro's over here in Europe.... so I am afraid it is not really an option for me.

Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm), 144 Euros.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm?sid=7ed9d5c689af0cf4f7ab7120a54a5be5

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #18,720 of 48,562
The Sennheisers clamp a bit (Senns are known for clamp), and the AD700 doesn't clamp enough (a super loose fit).

Can you afford the Sony MA900? That would be an ideal solution.

Gdubz, I like it. Not worth really getting either console at the moment, but if there is something you really wanna play, I guess I'd say it's worth it. For me, there isn't enough, and the settings are lacking. I know it will get getter in the future, so I'm hopeful.

Haven't done a whole lot of reading up on the PS4 but I'll be getting one soon for my girlfriend. Aside from some units just not turning on, are there any other problems/issues? For example, lack of digital surround sound output via optical port like with the Xbox One that I've got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back