Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #18,691 of 48,562
  So not the Sennheiser HD558's that I was looking at purchasing, right? I'm still new to all of this, but I believe the specs on Amazon listed them as only having 50-Ohms impedance.

Also, is Yamaha's Silent Cinema as good as the Dolby Headphone or should I look for something else with that as an option?

Surprisingly my 50-Ohm HD558 sounds fairly good plugged into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver.
So I would assume the Senn HD558 is more accomidating, for use with a receiver's high impedance headphone output.
I would assume Yamaha's Silent Cinema is a fairly basic headphone surround sound. 
Silent Cinema works fine for me, watching Blu-rays disks from my Panasonic Blu-ray player which is running HDMI cable to my RX-V671.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #18,692 of 48,562
  Surprisingly my 50-Ohm HD558 sounds fairly good plugged into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver.
So I would assume the Senn HD558 is more acomidating, for use with a receiver's high impedance headphone output.
I would assume Yamaha's Silent Cinema is a fairly basic headphone surround sound. 
Silent Cinema works fine for me, watching Blu-rays disks from my Panasonic Blu-ray player which is running HDMI cable to my RX-V671.

I think at this point I'll just snag a pair of HD558's and use the Astro Mixamp Pro I currently have with Dolby Headphones turned on and keep gaming Call of Duty on my xbox360 until my Xbox One has digital surround support.

Maybe by then I'll crave some higher end headphones and an amp.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #18,693 of 48,562
  Still, my point stands - the DX700 is almost 2x more expensive and it is closed.
However, it seems to be a really good headphone, I give you that.
But they would probably need some sort of amplification to sound great, right?

Nope not really, These are impressions from a modest focusrite forte. They terminate 1/4 inch but are almost as efficient as the x1. I need to try them with other amps as I expect they will further improve.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #18,694 of 48,562
  Nope not really, These are impressions from a modest focusrite forte. They terminate 1/4 inch but are almost as efficient as the x1. I need to try them with other amps as I expect they will further improve.

Any chance to try them on a regular DAP? Something like the Clip +? It drives the MA-900 very well for instance :]
Thanks.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #18,695 of 48,562
  Any chance to try them on a regular DAP? Something like the Clip +? It drives the MA-900 very well for instance :]
Thanks.

I would try but I need a 1/4 inch female to 1/8 inch male adapter. I can tell you that they are very listenable when my focusrite uses the usb power which basically provides no amplification. 

Like the x1 they are genre specific, but a lot less picky with songs than the x1. The bass is a bit much on some songs.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #18,696 of 48,562
  I would try but I need a 1/4 inch female to 1/8 inch male adapter. I can tell you that they are very listenable when my focusrite uses the usb power which basically provides no amplification. 

Like the x1 they are genre specific, but a lot less picky with songs than the x1. The bass is a bit much on some songs.

Nah, the opinion kinda varies :] I'll wait to judge for myself tomorrow :D
Meanwhile, if you could test the DX700 on something portable, that'd be appreciated :]

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #18,697 of 48,562
  Well, ill drop a few buck on a sound card if I can get Dolby headphone to a good DAC :D. Just need to find the right one. Currently I have Creative X-fi Titanium (non-HD version).

Why not just get a Schiit Magni (or O2) headphone amplifier and plug it into the Titanium?

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #18,698 of 48,562
  Nah, the opinion kinda varies :] I'll wait to judge for myself tomorrow :D
Meanwhile, if you could test the DX700 on something portable, that'd be appreciated :]

I have to rephrase that genre specific statement. The x1 is more song specific, and the dx700 is more genre specific. But yeah you be the judge of that tomorrow. I will warn you that they still sound closed but have a great soundstage and aren't really clear sounding, yet still very detailed. 

Again I cant test them as I said I don't have a 1/4" female to 1/8 inch male adapter and don't plan on buying one because they cost a lot more than the other way around. They def aren't what I would call portable but very efficient for home use. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #18,699 of 48,562
  I think at this point I'll just snag a pair of HD558's and use the Astro Mixamp Pro I currently have with Dolby Headphones turned on and keep gaming Call of Duty on my xbox360 until my Xbox One has digital surround support.

Maybe by then I'll crave some higher end headphones and an amp.

As I've heard that the Xbox One comes with DTS-HD Master audio, I'm guessing your going to see new optical input gaming devices that support DTS headphone surround sound.
Or made even DTS gaming devices (headsets?) with HDMI input (or pass thru?).

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #18,700 of 48,562
  I have to rephrase that genre specific statement. The x1 is more song specific, and the dx700 is more genre specific. But yeah you be the judge of that tomorrow. I will warn you that they still sound closed but have a great soundstage and aren't really clear sounding, yet still very detailed. 

Again I cant test them as I said I don't have a 1/4" female to 1/8 inch male adapter and don't plan on buying one because they cost a lot more than the other way around. They def aren't what I would call portable but very efficient for home use. 

I meant the open X1s :] I won't jump on the DX700 yet as I have bought a week ago the W1000X which are decent.
I'll be waiting for Xmas with other HPs.
I am quite satisfied with the MA900/X1 for home and W1000X for outside/portable.
DX700 is under consideration and so is the SRH1540

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #18,701 of 48,562
Got my Mixamp 5.8 and turtle beach ps4 chat cable (works perfectly for the Mixamp 5.8's controller input which goes to the ps4 controller for voice chat). They both work like a charm. My 5.8 was brand new for $125. Chat works better than using the Mixamp pro for some reason. The 5.8's hiss is very minute with the MA900, thank goodness. Not as quiet as the Mixamp 2011, but doesn't even register in my ears as my fan is louder, and even with the fan off, the hiss isn't loud. Actually less than the 2013 Mixamp fwir.

So happy I have it again. I'll leave the Pro connected to the ps3, and the 5.8 to the ps4.

Now I'm just waiting for the rechargeable battery pack coming from ebay, which arrives next week.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #18,702 of 48,562
Got my Mixamp 5.8 and turtle beach ps4 chat cable (works perfectly for the Mixamp 5.8's controller input which goes to the ps4 controller for voice chat). They both work like a charm. My 5.8 was brand new for $125. Chat works better than using the Mixamp pro for some reason. The 5.8's hiss is very minute with the MA900, thank goodness. Not as quiet as the Mixamp 2011, but doesn't even register in my ears as my fan is louder, and even with the fan off, the hiss isn't loud. Actually less than the 2013 Mixamp fwir.

So happy I have it again. I'll leave the Pro connected to the ps3, and the 5.8 to the ps4.

Now I'm just waiting for the rechargeable battery pack coming from ebay, which arrives next week.

Hmm the DSS II [Turtle Beach PX5's receiver anyway] has no hiss with the MA-900, not at the volume you'd listen at. Very quiet hiss kicks in way past any listening levels.
I am inclined to believe it is quite decent then, OK amp section and DAC I guess...
So that it's out there in case it was available :]

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #18,703 of 48,562
I'm in the market for a new hp that is going to complement my DT990, and it'll be either the Sony MA900 or the AKG 612 Pro. I've heard that the latter is supposedly even better than Sony, but I couldn't find much on the internet. D:

Is there anyone here who had the chance to hear both?

There was one guy who wrote a nice comprehensive review comparing them... kman1191 I think, he already replied to you and I suggest you look up his review. Personally, I heard and liked the MA900 quite a bit, agree with Mad's review it's a great all-rounder with top-tier soundstage imaging, but it had a sort of veil that (without decreasing detail) seemed to make the listener take a few steps back from the action... Just not as involving for me as my AKGs. What I read about the K612 had me interested in a possible bargain blend of the Q701 and K712, though I haven't heard it I'm keen.

Its easier to find something when you know what your looking for.
Very true.
I think a guide on why headphones are better for different tasks would be more beneficial then just a list of good ones. If someone knew what to look for in headphones they wouldn't ask "is this one good" all the time.
Think about what you just said... The guide is a list of good headphones. People ask "Is this one good" all the time. How do those not match purposes?
To address your question about what "tasks" these headphones are for, the guide implicitly states we're only talking about ones great for gaming with virtual surround.
Sometimes the answer is right in front of you... But it's hard to comprehend if you feel stressed out or expect the answer to be more complex than the simple facts. Believe me, I speak to people every day who get so stressed or emotional, they can't just step back and let things sink in logically... It's common human psychology, and difficult to reset your brain.

Until I learned more about building PCs I had no idea what to look for, but once I did it made finding parts much easier.

I know it sounds petty, but I don't have a lot of money to spend, I'm losing my job soon. I might not even be able to afford to get these yet, but when I do I want to make sure I have the right stuff and how to use it. I always ask questions because I hate assuming, which leads to more trouble then its worth.

Basically, almost all the headphones listed in the guide are winners. You could pick any one in your budget that seems like it would be good, and it will be. No wrong answer, good resale value too. I know very well what it's like not to have much money, in fact so does MLE, so that's why we're pointing out that these are good ones.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #18,704 of 48,562
Conquer, I'm justvtalking about hiss, because the Mixamp 5.8 is the only wireless mixamp out, and it's never been a quiet amp. Just saying even with the super sensitive MA900, the hiss is pretty quiet. Hell, the 5.8 was a bit hissy with the D7000 which is as sensitive as it gets.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #18,705 of 48,562
Conquer, I'm justvtalking about hiss, because the Mixamp 5.8 is the only wireless mixamp out, and it's never been a quiet amp. Just saying even with the super sensitive MA900, the hiss is pretty quiet. Hell, the 5.8 was a bit hissy with the D7000 which is as sensitive as it gets.

Wireless, is it?
How's that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back