Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #16,171 of 48,566
Mad, I would like your input on this. I know you are judging off pure memory, but can you remember which HP has the more forward mids to you... MD or Annie? To my ears it seems like the MDs are slightly ahead... but I wanted a second opinion. I'm not sure if its because of the openness of the Annie making it sound like that... or if what I am assuming is actually correct.

Edit: Never mind... I think I may be coming down with a slight cold so my hearing might be a bit impaired. The Annie definitely has the more forward mids... at least I think. I'll wait until I get over my sickness to get a better analysis. But if this is right, I may have to lunge to the K712 with its smoother mids... as I'm predicting chico did as well...
tongue_smile.gif
. Or I may have to just get the thicker pads for the Annie down the line and deal with the slight differences it will have from the K712. I really prefer the looks of the Annie.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #16,172 of 48,566
The Annies have the more forward mids. Chico stated the K712 isnt as intimate, so the mids aren't going to be as forward sounding.

Bizkit, I do think the MA900 is a pretty step up from the A40s. I'd say go cop those bad boys.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #16,173 of 48,566
The Anniversary is slightly more intimate.  SInce the K712 is also slightly fuller overall (which usually makes things sound more intimate anyways) it's not a huge difference between them.  Overall the K712 sounds slightly more open though.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #16,174 of 48,566
Quote:
The Annies have the more forward mids. Chico stated the K712 isnt as intimate, so the mids aren't going to be as forward sounding.

Quote:
The Anniversary is slightly more intimate.  SInce the K712 is also slightly fuller overall (which usually makes things sound more intimate anyways) it's not a huge difference between them.  Overall the K712 sounds slightly more open though.

That's why I may just get the thicker pads instead of switching headphones completely. I know you say the pads don't make the Annie identical to the 712... but will it be close enough? I don't necessarily want the 712's sound... I just don't mind a little more air with slightly smoother mids. The pads do give that effect correct? Though not as full sounding as the stock K712? How much bass is pushed back when doing so? I know you told me it wasn't by much... just wanted to reconfirm because that was before you started preferring the K712's sound.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #16,175 of 48,566
The only thing the pads do is reduce the intimacy.  That's pretty much it.  Everything gets spaced back a little.  It doesn't change the signautre, so it won't smooth the mids or add more air (well, it might sound like it has more air because it's less intimate).  So it won't really sound like the K712.  I like Anniversary + K712 pads more than the stock Anniversary. 

The Anniversary has more foward upper mids.  The K712 has more forward low mids.  Middle mids...I'm not sure - I think the K712.  The mids have more body and fullness on the K712.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #16,176 of 48,566
Quote:
The only thing the pads do is reduce the intimacy.  That's pretty much it.  Everything gets spaced back a little.  It doesn't change the signautre, so it won't smooth the mids or add more air (well, it might sound like it has more air because it's less intimate).  So it won't really sound like the K712.  I like Anniversary + K712 pads more than the stock Anniversary. 

The Anniversary has more foward upper mids.  The K712 has more forward low mids.  Middle mids...I'm not sure - I think the K712.  The mids have more body and fullness on the K712.

Preciate it. The more I see you giving me info the more I think Mad was right, you've switched out on the Anniversary and bought the K712 lol. I don't know if I'm ready to take that plunge just yet. My wallet is glad I wasn't the one testing them... for now lol.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #16,177 of 48,566

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #16,180 of 48,566
Chico, if you want less intimacy, you definitely don't want the 650. It's pushed up even closer than the Annie.

Change, not from me. I like the intimacy the Annie brings and it's plenty spacious. I love it's female vocals. I'm sure the K712 is a slightly different interpretation of the same sound. Certainly not enough to make me jump from one to another, at least not at the K712's cost. Maybe when it comes down to the $360 range like the Annie, but only then. And I mean IF I wanted something else. I don't. I'm happy with the MA900 as my comfort/open can, and the X1 as my main (unless I can score a D7000 for a good price, which would make me sell the X1.)

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #16,181 of 48,566
What gave it away!!
eek.gif

Was it all the "I prefer the K712..." comments?? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #16,182 of 48,566
Quote:
Change, not from me. I like the intimacy the Annie brings and it's plenty spacious. I love it's female vocals. I'm sure the K712 is a slightly different interpretation of the same sound. Certainly not enough to make me jump from one to another, at least not at the K712's cost. Maybe when it comes down to the $360 range like the Annie, but only then. And I mean IF I wanted something else. I don't. I'm happy with the MA900 as my comfort/open can, and the X1 as my main (unless I can score a D7000 for a good price, which would make me sell the X1.)

Damn, I made a major false prediction then lol. I may jump on the train because from what I am observing it sounds like they would be a better match to the MD than the Annie. I'm with you, though, I may have to wait until they drop to the same price range I bought the Annie for.

Quote:
Quote:
What gave it away!!
eek.gif

Was it all the "I prefer the K712..." comments?? 
biggrin.gif

Naaah...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #16,183 of 48,566
I recently picked up some Beyer DT 770 80s to use mostly for music, but I tried them with my Astro mixamp and they're so much better than the a40s! The a40s just sounded artificial, although the explosions sounded a little bit better. Would I be well off using my Beyers for gaming and music, or getting something like the AD700 or 558 just for gaming? I want a good balance of immersion and positional accuracy for games. Thanks! :)

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #16,184 of 48,566
Quote:
Chico, if you want less intimacy, you definitely don't want the 650. It's pushed up even closer than the Annie.

Hmm...When I listened to the HD650 that one time, it didn't sound particularly intimate.  I'll keep that in mind though.

MLE, I myself would peg you for preferring the K712 in general. You get a bit more fullness and body while simultaneously being a tad more spacious, plus it's less fatiguing and dry sounding.  The main thing the Anniversary has going for it is the air being a little more forward.  If your just after female vocals and....intimacy (yuck!) I'm not sure I can advise - I'm no an expert in those areas.  The K712 is not that different in intimacy than the Anniversary.  Like I said on the last page, the added fullness and body can cancel out some of the deeper pads effect.

D7000 would probably make X1 redundant sound wise.  I thought you were done with pleather/leather though?
Someone showed me this Denon headphone on the soundstage thread that's supposed to be similar to the D7000 but in a DJ style like the M50s.  They also said it had the same drivers as the D7000, but I'm not sure about that - I didn't look around to confirm or deny it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541654/denon-dn-hp700-review-and-comparison-to-the-ah-d7000

Quote:
I may jump on the train because from what I am observing it sounds like they would be a better match to the MD than the Annie. I'm with you, though, I may have to wait until they drop to the same price range I bought the Annie for.

Well, I would sell your Anniversary first and "turn it in" for the K712 Pro.  Not much sense in keeping them both, unless you want to compare them.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #16,185 of 48,566
I'm saying, if I happened to own the Annie, I wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to sell them at a massive lost for a small shift in signature. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the Annie. So unless the K712 Pro improved over something quite significantly, I'd hold out until it was around $360.

Nothing will beat the MA900 in terms of it's comfort, weight, and just pleasing tonal signature. Hence why it's my favorite alternative to a main headphone. BECAUSE it's an alternative, and not a main, I wouldn't use the Annie or K712 as a main. So I'm perfectly happy woth the MA900 in that regard. My main has to be bassy and slightly energetic in the treble. The X1 is pretty much what I wanted, though the D7000 is still the king for me.

I AM done with pleather. The D7000 is the only exception (that or the TH900). And even then, I'd buy some Lawton leather pads to further help get away from the pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back