Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #15,961 of 48,562
About7Narwal,
The DSS would be your DAC. Digital to Analogue Converter.
Chicolom used an M-Stage product for the longest time (now he has an iCan for amping) with his Q701 and he was very pleased with it, I don't know this USB product you mention but it comes from a respectable brand.

ilGaspa,
I've got a pretty pronounced widow's peak, heading in the same direction as you, was it a relief to shave it all? But back on-topic, I have also read great things about the DT990, if you think the treble is a touch too much (seems to agree with Mad's observation) then you can choose to either exchange them for another pair and see if you are OK with the treble's edge, or look into other alternatives. I don't know how their track record stands for durability, but the Planar Magnetic HiFiman HE-400 may be a contender for you (still strong but perhaps less so in the treble than the DT990, slightly better in the "Fun" department if you like V-shaped freq responses), also check out the AKG K712 or K701 Anniversaries. The X1 may be more bassy than the K701 anniversaries, BUT if you read the review or go back to Mad's posts when he was experiencing the Annies he was very excited and pleased with them. I personally have Q701, with a baby-seatbelt-wrapper on the headband to alleviate the headband fatigue (feels great now), and though I wouldn't say the bass stands out as louder or more prominent than the rest of the freq range, I WOULD say these are definitely fun headphones with a bit of magic.
How are you liking the Sound Blaster Z? I'm thinking about picking one up, but I got a hint from Creative's social media team that they're working on an update to the Recon3D USB external sound card that I had before and liked.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #15,962 of 48,562
ilGaspa, I sweat into some HD580's for 10 years and the pads were still fine. I think some people make too much of the non-replaceable pads, I still say you could go X1.

Evshrug, the Z uses the Cirrus Logic's flagship DAC, the CS4398 for headphone and line out. My Z is the revision with all gold caps. I'm using the line out, stereo direct for music and it sounds fantastic.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #15,963 of 48,562
So... Kinda like a smoother AD700.

Hell no. The MA900 has a very good bass response. Not X1 bass, but more in line with the mids than the X1. Reminds me of the Annie's bass presence. Not as much sub bass though. Also the mids are nice and full, and the treble isnt harsh and grainy. The only thing remotely cllse to the AD700 is that they are light and have a big soundstage. Thats it. Even the tonality is the polar opposite.

They're a lot like a hybrid Q701/Annie, with about HD558/598 body and technicality. These will be very popular for those not wanting to invest in good amps for the AKGs. I'm very tempted on keeping them. I give them a solid 8. My main gripe is that the pads have no really density and compress way too easily. Also, the sound changes depending on how you put them on. You can give them a less bassy, faster sound if you place your ears closer to the back wall of the pads. That is also the deepest area, and your ears would be virtually untouched by the driver cover. Still, I prefer to put mine right at the center, where I feel is the optimal sound, though my ears do touch.

I'd say comfort is about a 9, with some caveats.

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #15,964 of 48,562
Quote:
About7Narwal,
The DSS would be your DAC. Digital to Analogue Converter.
Chicolom used an M-Stage product for the longest time (now he has an iCan for amping) with his Q701 and he was very pleased with it, I don't know this USB product you mention but it comes from a respectable brand.

Okay, with that in mind it looks like I will go XBOX360/PS3 --> DSSv1 --> M-Stage HPA-1(USB) --> AKG K702 65th.

Going to pull the trigger this week unless some provides an alternative. Thanks for the help with my questions and thanks to Mad for the write up, it made things easier to understand for me where before I was completely confused.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #15,965 of 48,562
Okay, with that in mind it looks like I will go XBOX360/PS3 --> DSSv1 --> M-Stage HPA-1(USB) --> AKG K702 65th.

Going to pull the trigger this week unless some provides an alternative. Thanks for the help with my questions and thanks to Mad for the write up, it made things easier to understand for me where before I was completely confused.

Great choices, though I would sub the M-Stage for the iCAN. Those EQ switches can be really fun at times. I have both, btw...

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #15,966 of 48,562
Quote:
Great choices, though I would sub the M-Stage for the iCAN. Those EQ switches can be really fun at times. I have both, btw...

I will take a look at the iCAN then. I assume it will be a good pairing with the DSSv1? Sounds like the X-Bass and 3D Effect might add a better quality gaming experience, I will do more research tomorrow. Thanks

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #15,967 of 48,562
Quote:
Chicolom used an M-Stage product for the longest time (now he has an iCan for amping) with his Q701 and he was very pleased with it...

I still have the M-stage, and it's a great amp, but I definitely use the iCan more.  It's a more fun and versatile amp.

Quote:

I think I would too.  The M-stage is slightly better than the iCan as a pure amp, but the iCan is still pretty close to it.  And once you flip the switches on the iCan it passes the M-stage up, so to speak.   If I could only keep one, it would be the iCan.

Quote:
I will take a look at the iCAN then. I assume it will be a good pairing with the DSSv1? Sounds like the X-Bass and 3D Effect might add a better quality gaming experience, I will do more research tomorrow. Thanks

The XBass is good for gaming.  The 3D switch is designed for stereo music and it can sound a little weird when you stack it on top of Dolby Headphone.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #15,968 of 48,562
ilGaspa, I sweat into some HD580's for 10 years and the pads were still fine. I think some people make too much of the non-replaceable pads, I still say you could go X1.

Evshrug, the Z uses the Cirrus Logic's flagship DAC, the CS4398 for headphone and line out. My Z is the revision with all gold caps. I'm using the line out, stereo direct for music and it sounds fantastic.

Was the gold-capacitor Z a short-lived run that is no longer available, or could I go to amazon now and get one like yours?

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #15,969 of 48,562
The Sony MA-900 is impressing me more and more. The bass is good, the soundstage is great, the balance/warmth/body is great, the comfort is great. It makes a SERIOUSLY great alternative for the X1. Both are easy to drive (the MA-900 more so), both do exceedingly well for gaming and music, with the MA900 being a bit less fatiguing in the upper range, and better in the mids, while the X1 is a little more bass oriented and overall more refined.

To top it off, the MA900 is not picky about output impedance due to the impedance compensator.

For the price, I don't think I could recommend any other headphone more than the MA-900. It's REALLY good.

My personal problem is that it caters to the same things that X1 does for me to warrant keeping both. I do feel like I can just toss my MA900 with more abandon due to it's simpler aesthetics and black plastic finish. I'd be more wary of abusing the X1 in fears of scratching it.

Time will tell.

For under $200, the MA-900 is going to be my top recommendation for all purpose uses. Music, gaming, movies. Jack of all trades.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #15,970 of 48,562
Quote:
Was the gold-capacitor Z a short-lived run that is no longer available, or could I go to amazon now and get one like yours?

No gold capacitor in the world could make up for the quality differences between the Z and the ZxR. Get the ZxR before pondering about gold caps. :D

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #15,971 of 48,562
@Evshrug:

:D Ok, let's start with the OT part :wink: Shaving it all was the best thing I've ever done, never looked back since: more confortable, better looking and better feeling. Only problem.. shaving means that there's nothing keeping your skin oil from getting transferred so be prepared to wash your hands every time you touch your head and clean the headphones continuously.. That's the price if you sweat a lot.

Back on track :wink: I'd rather go with something else instead of replacing the DT990: don't get me wrong, these are GREAT headphones, the bass is perfect for games even when positional audio is on. The Bioshock Infinite intro at the lighthouse with just SBX Surround on (no other crystalizer or enhanched bass effects) is simply great, you can phisically "feel" the lighthouse switch activating without the sound being overwhelming. However treble is excessive sometimes.. at moderate sound levels, listening to Celine's "I Surrender", her highs felt like a knife in my skull, whilst everything else felt low in comparison. Actually I had to lower the volume a little and enjoy less mids and bass to get to whitstand the trebles. Overall a great headphone but you have to love vivid sounds. In the end I think I'll go with the X1.. Here where I live the X1 costs 199 euros, wich is already 60 more than the DT990.. going to the other model you mentioned would cost me at least 270! it's too much for me, I can't afford it. Let's hope that in a 2-3 years someone sells replacement pads for the X1, even third party :| After all this model is having a pretty high approval factor, I hope some third party starts making replacement parts. 

As for the Sound Blaster, it's a mixed bag: hardware wise is great, drivers are so so at least now. No problems at all but it misses a few core functionalities needed if you have a 5.1 setup. For example, a stereo signal can only be heard from the front speakers OR upmixed to a virtual 5.1 surround trough SBX surround. The simple and beloved "5 channel stereo without virtualization" is missing.. and there are a lot of peoples angry at creative for this. SBX surroung is, IMHO, inferior to the old CMSS3D too. If you can go for the Titanium HD: the sheer functionalities missing fron the Z drivers made me wonder if I should return that too..

@ethan7000:

Thank you. I hope you're right about the pads durability..
I admit that I'm so worried about it because the pads an old pair of Philips I had literally literally "pulverized" themselves in a couple of years.. they melted away and become toner like dust.. -.- but I'm speaking about headphones I had when I was 13 and that costed 60 bucks... the pads were made of the same foam used for earbuds cushions... so nothing like the X1.
As I said above: I hope that some third party start making X1 replacements parts :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #15,972 of 48,562
ilGaspa: Sony MA900.

See how much that costs. I believe these will be THE headphone to get under $200. I'm running off the E17, and I prefer it over how they sounded off the E12. I dunno, the E12 was TOO clean. I prefer the slight warmth the E17 adds. Really brings out the MA900 for me.

My recommendations:

$0-$100: Creative Aurvana Live

$100-200: Sony MA-900, DT990 Pro

$200-$300: Philips Fidelio X1

$300-400: K702 65th Anniversary

It's preliminary, but I'm looking at:

MA-900:
Fun: 8
Competitive: 9
Comfort: 9

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #15,973 of 48,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recommendations:

$0-$100: Creative Aurvana Live

$100-200: Sony MA-900, DT990 Pro

$200-$300: Philips Fidelio X1

$300-400: K702 65th Anniversary

And even though you haven't heard the K712 yet I think you can add it to the $300-$400 range as they sound really similar when using the stock pads on each (as chico confirmed)

Quote:
It's preliminary, but I'm looking at:

MA-900:
Fun: 8
Competitive: 9
Comfort: 9

Those are some impressive scores for a sub $200 can.

I really wish that cable was detachable, though
frown.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #15,974 of 48,562
All right, MLE, you have me intrigued now. I must know this comfort you speak of.

Problem is, I just blew way too much money on headphones and an amp already, so even the relatively affordable MA900 is out of the question. Worse off, I don't know if it'll stay affordable for long since you've just given a big boost to its popularity with that endorsement.

Care to set up a temporary headphone swap later? You know exactly what I have in mind by now, I'm sure.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #15,975 of 48,562
Just remember, it's scores based off it's own merits, and considering it's price, etc.

But yeah, it's pretty damn good. I might send it to you guys for testing soon if you want if I don't end up selling it at some point in the near future.

I really believe in this headphone, and I think more exposure would really help it out.

I just wish the pads had densitiy and didn't compress. The comfort would be a 10. Your ears will touch the driver cover... doesn't bother me, but it would further put them on top in comfort. Easily. They weigh nothing, don't clamp much, and almost disappear otherwise.

If I were to score it's clarity and refinement, I'd say it's like a 7.75 next to the X1's 8.25, next to the K70x's (all forms) 9. Just theoretical numbers. 7.75 = REEEEEALLY GOOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back