Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #15,946 of 48,562
Waaaait... Why do you have two surround processors there?
If you're gaming on PC, you just need Creative Sound Blaster Z (or ZxR) and AKG Q701, the DSS wouldn't do anything for you. If you're gaming on console, you just need DSS and headphone. Are you actually talking about two setups here?

well, from what I've read, some people don't like the surround sound processing of the SB A's so they bypass it's surround sound processor (SBX) and add the Dolby surround processor. I haven't bought the DSS yet, but they're there as an option in case I don't like the surround from the card

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #15,947 of 48,562
well, from what I've read, some people don't like the surround sound processing of the SB A's so they bypass it's surround sound processor (SBX) and add the Dolby surround processor. I haven't bought the DSS yet, but they're there as an option in case I don't like the surround from the card

The DSS won't work that way with a PC, unless you can output Dolby Digital Live from an Optical Output. If you want Dolby Headphone from your PC, you'll need an Asus product like the U3, U7, or one of Asus' internal Xonar cards instead of the Sound Blaster. The DSS is intended for consoles only. You could input stereo sound into the DSS and fake surround using DH processing, but stereo into DH sounds worse than stereo or DH fed a proper surround signal.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #15,948 of 48,562
I think he has the Z which has DDL

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #15,949 of 48,562
Yup, the card can output Dolby Digital Live, just not Dolby Headphone. Instead of DH, it uses SBX. I just want to see how SBX is, otherwise I will buy the DSS, connect it via optical out and adjust the appropriate settings on my sound card.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #15,951 of 48,562
Quote:
Cant you demo SBX for free? Tried it, didnt like it at all...
confused.gif

What did you feel it was lacking? I basically got this card for free from my credit card company after accumulating points. I would have gone the Asus route, but it wasn't available.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #15,952 of 48,562
The rear positional cues sounded almost identical to the front ones, in that it didn't even sound like it was behind you. That makes the surround useless to me.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #15,953 of 48,562
MA900s get here tommorow.  I hope they don't suck. 
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #15,954 of 48,562
I'm sure you'll really like them. Not AKG level refined, but well balanced, smooth, and classified all rounders for gaming if I ever heard any. I would consider them budget Annies, with more soundstage, less body and refinement. They make absolutely wonderful gaming cans.

The pads though... they suck. They have like no density whatsoever and compress immediately.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #15,955 of 48,562
That SR-Lambda arrived today, and it's in remarkably good condition, certainly better than the set I've been using this whole time. I feel comfortable letting Mad Lust Envy use this as a reference.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on that SRM-T1, and a potential review has no chance of happening until that gets delivered and proven to work.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #15,956 of 48,562
I'm sure you'll really like them. Not AKG level refined, but well balanced, smooth, and classified all rounders for gaming if I ever heard any. I would consider them budget Annies, with more soundstage, less body and refinement. They make absolutely wonderful gaming cans.

The pads though... they suck. They have like no density whatsoever and compress immediately.

So... Kinda like a smoother AD700.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #15,957 of 48,562
That SR-Lambda arrived today, and it's in remarkably good condition, certainly better than the set I've been using this whole time. I feel comfortable letting Mad Lust Envy use this as a reference.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on that SRM-T1, and a potential review has no chance of happening until that gets delivered and proven to work.

Well what are you doing with the "old" one, keeping it as a backup for this vintage headphone?

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #15,958 of 48,562
Quote:
Well what are you doing with the "old" one, keeping it as a backup for this vintage headphone?

Normally, I would...but since finances are a bit tight for plainly obvious reasons, I'm going to sell it and both of the SRD boxes.

The SRD-7/SB stays 'til that SRM-T1 arrives and is proven to work, though.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #15,959 of 48,562
I'm back.

I have done some reasearch and decided that the DSS v1 would provide the best surround for what I need and will manage the game chatter differently. Past that, I have seen good reviews of the M-Stage USB paired with the AKG K702 - 65's so I might go with that unless someone more experienced has a better suggestion. Lastly, would I need a DAC for console gaming? I notice Mad's chart did not include one, so I am unsure if it would provide any value.

On a side note, if I stream video through my console(via PLEX DLNA), would you guys suggest the same setup or is video playback a whole different ballgame?

Any advice is good advice. Thanks.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #15,960 of 48,562
Hello everyone 
smily_headphones1.gif

I must admit I subscribed right now to ask for your help.. 
redface.gif
 I received yesterday my brand new DT990 Pro after carefully reading Mad Lust Envy reviews (by the way, thank you for writing 'em)! I really like them (feel the trebles a little to harsh for my taste but everything else is soo great that I was going to ignore this point). 

However, whilst listening to the beginning of Bastille's Laura Palmer I noticed that the left driver vibrates when driven to really low frequencies.. I'm sure it's not the track as I noticed it in other songs then. I'm driving the DT990 trough a Sound Blaster Z so the amping is at least adeguate.. no hairs in the left pad, flat EQ, no effects.. so I'm left with a probably defective DT990 
confused_face.gif

This, the trebles and the fact that I can still return them tempts me to change to another model... don't think burn in will solve anything

But wich one? I was looking at the X1 but I tend to sweat a lot (I'm bald.. fully) and i fear the pads won't survive enough to justify the price of the whole headphone.. expecially when in a year they'll be reduced to pieces by sweat.. and these pads aren't replaceable. Otherwise I'd have bought it in first place instead the DT990.

So.. can someone suggest me what should I buy? I'd like something like the DT990 only not defective and a little less harsh treble.. A X1 with replaceable pads :p In the same price range..

Envy can you help me? Ideally I'm going to use primarly for movies and non competitive gaming.. so 3d positioning is important but not as much as fun. Everything but my damned sweat screams "X1, X1"... 

Thank you everyone.. and by the way: nice thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back