Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,501 of 48,583
To be honest, the HD598 performs better than both of the Beyers with the Mixamp. I also find them to be more comfortable. The Beyers may clamp less but they don't sit securely causing them to shift, making them have a different sort of discomfort for me.

If you really want one, I suggest the DT990 as the DT880 may be too smiliar to the HD598.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,502 of 48,583
Yo MLE,

I haven't been on the XBOX in a while. Been busy here with orders and such. I ahve some free time tonight before I head to bed, you up for some COD-BLOPS? Maybe some MW2?

Also the other reason I haven't been on it because I bought Portal 2 and Crysis 2 on my PS3. Crysis 2 is fricking epic on my beyers for sure. I have began to appreciate Dolby Headphone a bit on certain games (especially Bad Company 2).

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,503 of 48,583
Hell yes! I been wanting to play some BLOPS.

YAY, another Dolby Headphone convert! Do me a favor and try DH with MW2, and tell me positioning isn't awesome. XD

I'll get on in a bit.

I still want those vids! :p

I been playing BLOPS Sharpshooter lately. I love the random weapons every 45 seconds, as well as getting perks with kills. I wish Gun Game gave you perks per kill.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,504 of 48,583

Quote:

YAY, another Dolby Headphone convert! Do me a favor and try DH with MW2, and tell me positioning isn't awesome. XD

I'll get on in a bit.

I still want those vids!
tongue.gif

I been playing BLOPS Sharpshooter lately. I love the random weapons every 45 seconds, as well as getting perks with kills. I wish Gun Game gave you perks per kill.

I find positional audio a lot better without DH. In basically EVERY game lol.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,505 of 48,583
Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I think stereo positioning is absolute garbage next to DH. All I get is a linear sound placement, whereas DH puts it around you in a 360 degree space. An absolute no brainer for me.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #1,506 of 48,583

Quote:

I'll get on in a bit.

I still want those vids!
tongue.gif

What I hate is how they put Marathon in the one wager match type where pinpoint aiming is essential and then forget about it in the one that absolutely needed it, gun game.

Edit: I also have absolutely no idea how anyone can find positioning in games superior in stereo, just boggles my mind.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,507 of 48,583
Agreed. Marathon should've been in all the wager matches. Hell, just get rid of Marathon and let you run infinitely normally. Walking is so damn slow!

About to fire up my 360 in a minute. Game on, beeshes.

I'm considering keeping my HE4 and waiting until i can get another Lyr again or some other powerful amp.... it'd be a damn shame to give these up for something inferior...

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,508 of 48,583
Just shows how we all perceive sounds differently haha. I CAN hear positional audio with DH, but I just find it so much easier with regular stereo.

You guys should play on modded servers for wager matches. Nothing is more fun on BO (could be because it's a pretty terrible game, vanilla haha) than 12 player wager matches. Gun game with 12 people is so intense!

EDIT: Oh didn't realise you guys play on 360.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,509 of 48,583
Been lurking around Head-Fi for a while and I recently purchased the HD598s.
Just waiting for it to be shipped to me.

However, I have a dilemma: wired mixamp or wireless 5.8 mixamp.
I know there's less hiss on the wired one and it includes a ps3 chat cable. So I may or may not buy a cheap mic.
I normally game on a computer monitor so I sit close to it so wired wouldn't be a problem.
I do see the appeal in the 5.8 because it has less clutter and it can help in situations where you are far from the tv screen and console.
Any recommendations?

My wallet :frowning2:

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,510 of 48,583
I've got a new favorite gaming headphone and it is my HD-598 killer. HD-598 isn't nearly as good now unless it's just soundstage size.

It's this ugly Frankenstein DJ100 I made. Converted my Koss Pro DJ100 to open with the HD-497 shell and then recabled it with Mogami:

This is crazy, but now I'm about 90% sure the soundstage is now larger than that of the HD-598 when open. It's confusing a bit considering it's so small.
When closed, the DJ100 is quite a good closed headphone, but no chance I'd use it as my primary gaming headphone unless I HAD to use a closed headphone.

The thing is small and ultra comfortable now. The pads are soft after I put them in the washing machine a few hundred times.
The sound really clears up with a recable and being made open. Strangely the treble is now even better.
Man I wish more people could hear this thing, but it's impossible since it's such a weird mod. Sounds like a majorly improved HD-598.
K601 and HD-598 won't be on my head much anymore. I'd say going from closed to open is like a 50% improvement with this driver. Ok, maybe not, but it sure seems like it.

I also got in the KRK KNS-6400. Now this could be one good option for a competitive closed headphone. It's soundstage is even better than the DJ100 when closed. One of the best soundstages I've heard in a closed headphone (other than the D2000).
It's got a ton of detail too. Some stuff I can only heard on the KNS-6400, but not on my K601/K702 or my DJ100. It's level of detail is like the DT-880, but more forward mids.

Strangely the KNS-6400 felt like it had a better soundstage than the 8400?! Maybe KRK made some changes. The 6400 has angled drivers!

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,511 of 48,583
I just got a set of AD700's and a Turtle Beach DSS and am loving it so far. I have a quick question for the OP or anyone else who might know, sorry if it has been asked. Besides bass boost on the DSS and seperate chat volume on the Astro Mixamp, is there any difference betweent he two? Basically, is there any reason to get a Mixamp over a Turtle Beach DSS? The DSS is just $50 on amazon and sounds good too me, but I've never heard a Mixamp so I can't compare the two.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,512 of 48,583
Hey MLE, I sent you a PM but you may have missed it.

I can't decide between the DT770/880/990 for pure gaming purposes. I know that the AD700 would be better for competitive gaming but I game purely for enjoyment and fun so I would like a headphone that made explosions, bullet shots, and etc sound amazing but without losing too much of the higher detail sound such as footsteps and reloading. Right now, I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI Express Sound Card and like a 100-200 dollar budget. Do I need an amp in order to get the best out of the beyerdynamic headphones? Which ohm do you think I should get as well? Also, if there are any other better headphones you think I would like, that is fine as well.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #1,513 of 48,583
I just got a set of AD700's and a Turtle Beach DSS and am loving it so far. I have a quick question for the OP or anyone else who might know, sorry if it has been asked. Besides bass boost on the DSS and seperate chat volume on the Astro Mixamp, is there any difference betweent he two? Basically, is there any reason to get a Mixamp over a Turtle Beach DSS? The DSS is just $50 on amazon and sounds good too me, but I've never heard a Mixamp so I can't compare the two.

The difference between the Mixamp and DSS is, less hiss on the Mixamp, more input options, and capability to use a mic and mix in the voice chat, allowing you to control the volume betwen the game and voice chat. The DSS is strictly a Dolby headphone amp with no mic solution and only one input.. Also heard it hisses quite a bit. I didn't test one out long enough to form a valid opinion of it.

Vires, I answered your pm. Beyers deserve a decent amp, and if not, get the 32ohm with SOME amping. Don't bother with the others unless you have a dedicated amp for them. Not worth wasting $200+ on such a good headphone without driving them properly. I know nothing about PC gaming, but I suggest a soundcard with Dolby headphone.... whatever is the equivalent of the Mixamp.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #1,514 of 48,583

Quote:
Been lurking around Head-Fi for a while and I recently purchased the HD598s.
Just waiting for it to be shipped to me.

However, I have a dilemma: wired mixamp or wireless 5.8 mixamp.
I know there's less hiss on the wired one and it includes a ps3 chat cable. So I may or may not buy a cheap mic.
I normally game on a computer monitor so I sit close to it so wired wouldn't be a problem.
I do see the appeal in the 5.8 because it has less clutter and it can help in situations where you are far from the tv screen and console.
Any recommendations?

My wallet :frowning2:

If you're sitting right next to the monitor, there's no reason to get anything wireless imo. The reason I got the 5.8 is because I'm sitting like 8 feet from the TV and HATE wires running across the floor.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,515 of 48,583

Quote:
Quote:

The difference between the Mixamp and DSS is, less hiss on the Mixamp, more input options, and capability to use a mic and mix in the voice chat, allowing you to control the volume betwen the game and voice chat. The DSS is strictly a Dolby headphone amp with no mic solution and only one input.. Also heard it hisses quite a bit. I didn't test one out long enough to form a valid opinion of it.

Vires, I answerted your pm. Beyers deserve a decent amp, and if not, get the 32ohm with SOME amping. Don't bother with the others unless you have a dedicated amp for them. Not worth wasting $200+ on such a good headphone without driving them properly. I know nothing about PC gaming, but I suggest a soundcard with Dolby headphone.... whatever is the equivalent of the Mixamp.

I'm still perplexed by this. The DT990/600 sounds pretty bad with the mixamp, and that's not surprising. What makes no sense is the T1 sounds absolutely AMAZING through the mixamp... why??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back