Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #39,616 of 48,562
PC gaming ONLY soundcard with AKG 712 pro + Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magna 3 + a buttkicker Gamer 2

Currently onboard optical out from Asus Rampage V extreme

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/specifications/

AKG 712 Pro - ordered and on the way
Schiit Modi 2 Uber - on order (backorder)
Magna 3 - on order (backorder)
buttkicker Gamer 2 - have this already

I would like a soundcard with the best sound for gaming ONLY looks like the Sound BlasterX AE-5

I will be using an optical splitter (1 x optical in to 2 x optical out)

1 optical out to Schiit Modi 2 Uber

1 optical out with another cheap DAC to the buttkicker gamer 2

Please.............. please help me

Do I even need a soundcard coupled with the Schiit or just use onboard

OR

Sound BlasterX AE-5 driving AKG 712 pros and NO SCHIIT DAC or AMP

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #39,617 of 48,562
PC gaming ONLY soundcard with AKG 712 pro + Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magna 3 + a buttkicker Gamer 2

I would like a soundcard with the best sound for gaming ONLY looks like the Sound BlasterX AE-5

OR

Out Of Your Head

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #39,619 of 48,562

OR

I think your proposed setup is too complicated and may compromise the sound. I know the ButtKicker is cool, but if you're looking for the best sound for gaming, then just go with a gaming soundcard for your headphones and be done with it (and don't worry about the BK, unless there is an additional output you can connect it to). Also, an optical connection into the Schiit stack would eliminate whatever virtual surround functionality your motherboard or soundcard has, as the Schiit components are stereo only.

If you really want the Schiit stack, don't get the soundcard; you could game in stereo only, which I've found to be perfectly acceptable. For gaming, I feel the benefits of directional sound are important for certain games (i.e., FPS games). In those cases, I actually don't really care about the sound quality, just that the sounds important for me to perform better are represented accurately in the virtual world. I've compromised on all of this by just using the Sound Blaster G5 for gaming and music on my PC. I might add music-centric devices in the future, but I would just add it to my current setup (along side my G5) and enable whatever device in Windows, depending on use (gaming or music).

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #39,620 of 48,562
From my limited reading and understanding

PC > optical out with surround effects done by PC > Shiit stack >AKG 712 Pros

I should now go

PC > optical out > Sound Blaster G5 > AKG 712 Pros ?

OR

PC > Soundblaster AE-5 > AKG712 Pros?

I don't see the benefit of the G5 over the AE-5

I can still use the buttkicker via an optical splitter :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #39,621 of 48,562
From my limited reading and understanding

PC > optical out with surround effects done by PC > Shiit stack >AKG 712 Pros

I should now go

PC > optical out > Sound Blaster G5 > AKG 712 Pros ?

I can still use the buttkicker via an optical splitter :)

A motherboard or soundcard is DAC/amp, so it doesn't make sense to then add another DAC and amp to that chain. If your headphones need more amplification than your motherboard can provide, which is usually the case for most audiophile headphones, then sure, you can add an amp to that chain somehow, but that takes away any virtual surround your motherboard or soundcard does.

I'm suggest you do away with the optical and just use the features of a soundcard using the software it's supposed to be used with. I use the AKG K7XX for gaming plugged into the G5 (which is connected via USB to my PC, as it should be) and it's great. So, I doubt you'll run into any issues with the K712 if you use a G5 or the AE-5. Maybe there's a way to connect the BK to the AE-5 alongside your headphones, but I don't think you can enable both optical and headphone out, so probably not.

Your question was how do you get the best sound for gaming. My answer is to get a soundcard and plug in your headphones and not worry too much about the BK.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #39,623 of 48,562
Thanks, helps heaps.

Q - Why a G5 over an AE-5 ?
I'm not actually suggesting the G5 over the AE-5. If I were to make an argument for the G5, then it's because it's an external device and is cheaper. If I were to make an argument for the AE-5, it's that it's newer and has cool lights :). I don't think you can go wrong with either. Also, once you decide on your device, you can experiment with the different connections (e.g., optical) and see what happens. Trust your ears and the experience you get.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #39,625 of 48,562
And the last Q (I hope)

G5 -
  • Audio Technology SB-Axx1™
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)120dB (DAC)
AE-5

• Audio Technology BlasterX Acoustic Engine
  • Dynamic Range (DNR)122dB
I am trying to find out differences between the SB-Axx1 and BlasterX Acoustic Engine

Is there a replacement coming for the G5?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #39,626 of 48,562
I don’t have answers to those questions as I don’t have the AE-5. Like I said though, either would be fine for your needs.

No idea if the G5 is being upgraded or replaced. Why don’t you try both and return the one you don’t like as much?

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #39,628 of 48,562
Ordered a G5 :)
Sweet, enjoy! It’s a great deal right now at $129. Mine is plugged into a $200 Nordost USB cable and an iFi iPurifier2. No, I cannot say it does anything but I had those laying around from previously owned setups.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #39,629 of 48,562
Looking for audio processor to do the following:

PC, PS4, or Switch -> one 5.1 optical input -> good virtual surround processing for gaming/movies -> one 2.0 PCM optical, line level, or headphone output

I'd prefer optical output so that I can use my own DAC and AMP, but the virtual surround processing quality matters the most. All the options I've looked at seem to have major drawbacks.

Astro Mixamp Pro TR - Seems like they are using the DH-3 setting which is highly exaggerated. I'd prefer not to use Dolby Headphone at all, because they include room reverberations to simulate theaters.

Turtle Beach Elite TAC - Might be an option, but the surround sound processing seems highly exaggerated from what I've listened to on Youtube. It sounded worse than Dolby Headphone with default settings.

Creative G5 - It seems like it only supports 2.0 PCM optical input, from what I've read on Head-Fi.

Creative X-Fi HD - Also has SBX Pro Studio, but would have same issue as G5.

Creative X7 - Supports 5.1 Dolby input. Looks obnoxious. Have to pay for features that I'll never need, like the speaker amplifier.

Smyth Realiser A16 - Really expensive

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #39,630 of 48,562
Creative X7 - Supports 5.1 Dolby input. Looks obnoxious. Have to pay for features that I'll never need, like the speaker amplifier.

This one will probably be the only one that will let you use an optical out to your own dac/amp and pass through the virtual surround.

How were you looking at getting the PC/PS4/Switch feeding through a single optical?

With that I'd use the USB from the PC > X7,
Optical from the PS4/Switch from the ARC passthrough in the TV > X7 (or swap if not using a switcher/TV with ARC)
(using the USB gives the best option from the PC and frees up the Optical port for the other inputs)

Can then use the Optical Out or the Line Out of the X7 to feed whatever you put into it through to the DAC/Amp with or without the surround processing or in "direct mode" (no processing at all)

I've got mine acting both on it's own and also feeding a couple of other DAC/AMP combo's for various setups and choices - optical to one and RCA to another

Users who are viewing this thread

Back