Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #39,586 of 48,562
Hi guys, hope this is the place for all questions game related, didn't really see another place to post game related questions.
I game on PS4, and own a AKG 612 Pro, which I have used in the pas for gaming.
Since I have changed my main speakers from using a surround receiver to active speakers, I don't have a receiver anymore. My used my receiver to convert 5.1 to virtual surround, but that is not an option anymore. Added difficulty is the 120 Ohm resistance the AKG has.
So my question is as follows, how would I ideally connect my AKG to my PS4? I can use the headphone jack in the controller, but that is only stereo, prevents me from connecting my mic, and while the amp in it is not super is does its job.
However, I am willing to spend some money on a mixamp kind of solution via USB. I have been completely out of the loop though on these things. I remember the mixamp doesn't have enough power to drive my AKG? Are there any new solutions on this front? Amps with dolby headphones solutions?
I play FortniteBR at the moment. Is dolby surround even needed or would stereo suffice? I do own a Fiio E18 too, which could solve my stereo needs, but I feel I would still be at some disadvantage with pure stereo.
Any insights is welcome :)

Buy a used Astro Mix-amp ($40-$50) and daisy chain a more powerful headphone amplifier (schiit Magni or O2), off the mix-amp.

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #39,587 of 48,562
I am looking to pick up some good headphones for multiple purposes. I'd be using them mostly gaming and movies, with a bit of music thrown in. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the X2's or the Massdrop 7xx's. How do they compare? Do the X2's demand amplification like I hear the 7xx's do?

My other question is a matter of amplification.. I want to connect it to the headphone jack port on my Soundblaster z which already has a touch of amplification. According to what I can find, it rates 125mW into 32Ω with a 5V supply. Would that alone be good for either of those, or will I still need an amp to make them worthwhile. Also, can I connect the amp directly to that amplified headphone jack?

Jan 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #39,588 of 48,562
Thank you guys, I found an older refurbished mixamp on sale on ebay (X7 is just too expensive for me honestly, a 2nd hand AV receiver is cheaper...) 2011 model, think that is one of the best models if I understand it correctly?

Will probably be using my Fiio E18 for extra amplification. Might look into a cheaper pure amp without dac later, because I like to leave my E18 at my work.

Will report back. The seller where I bought my Mixamp (+A30) does have non refurbished ones too, for a little bit more. Probably still a very good price if anyone is intersted:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Astro-Gamin...243044?hash=item2a5ca99124:g:yqMAAOSw8-tWVzBt

They said it was this model:

https://www.astrogaming.co.uk/on/de...rvice-ProductSupportItem?hid=MixAmp-gen1-2011

Curious how the A30 performs, probably ends up in a box to never get out of there if I can believe the review on here.

Now on to finding a nice MIC to go with my AKG K612. The cord is not detachable, so a inline wont work. Probably a mod mic. Can I just plug this into the controller? Or does it need to be in the mixamp?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #39,589 of 48,562
Greetings Head-Fi gurus!

Need some advice please, I currently use a Sennheiser HD518 headphone, but it is getting on a bit and I dislike switching to my Sony Gold wireless 'phones when a mic is needed for gaming sessions.
I've decided to get a good gaming headset with a mic instead, that I can use for general media (music, movies) as well as gaming.

I've done some research, and based on what's available in my area have narrowed it down to two possible replacements:

1. Sennheiser Game One (New, ~$245)
2. Audio Technica ATH-PDG1 (Used, ~$140)

Which would be the better pick of the two listed? I do feel that the Senns might be the overall superior choice, but is it worth the additional $100 over the PDG1's?

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #39,590 of 48,562
Greetings Head-Fi gurus!

Need some advice please, I currently use a Sennheiser HD518 headphone, but it is getting on a bit and I dislike switching to my Sony Gold wireless 'phones when a mic is needed for gaming sessions.
I've decided to get a good gaming headset with a mic instead, that I can use for general media (music, movies) as well as gaming.

I've done some research, and based on what's available in my area have narrowed it down to two possible replacements:

1. Sennheiser Game One (New, ~$245)
2. Audio Technica ATH-PDG1 (Used, ~$140)

Which would be the better pick of the two listed? I do feel that the Senns might be the overall superior choice, but is it worth the additional $100 over the PDG1's?

Massdrop Sennheiser PC37X. It's $119, ships almost instantly, and is the game one without the dongle (has 2 3.5mm cables).

Jan 14, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #39,591 of 48,562
I am looking to pick up some good headphones for multiple purposes. I'd be using them mostly gaming and movies, with a bit of music thrown in. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the X2's or the Massdrop 7xx's. How do they compare? Do the X2's demand amplification like I hear the 7xx's do?

My other question is a matter of amplification.. I want to connect it to the headphone jack port on my Soundblaster z which already has a touch of amplification. According to what I can find, it rates 125mW into 32Ω with a 5V supply. Would that alone be good for either of those, or will I still need an amp to make them worthwhile. Also, can I connect the amp directly to that amplified headphone jack?

X2's for sure. They don't need amped nearly as much as the 7XX's to sound good. I personally use X1 and X2's for gaming, they sound fantastic and are incredibly comfortable.

The X2 should be good enough directly out of your SBZ headphone jack. It's usually not good to double amp a source, which you would be doing if you added an amp from the headphone out. I believe the SBZ has an optical out. You're best bet for sound quality would be to get a DAC/AMP that has optical in.

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #39,593 of 48,562
For anyone interested I put my Taction Kannons thru the paces tonight,here are a few brief thoughts...

Comfort is reasonably good.
Gun shots sound/feel like Howitzers!By far the most immersive thunderous gunfire and explosions ever!
The Astro MixAmp Pro drives the Kannons very well.
Sound stage and imaging arent that great making it not the first choice for hardcore detail whoring and enemy pin pointing.
The stock cable is a bit short,so if you sit back on a couch while gaming you will probably need to get an aftermarket 1/8">1/8" cable.

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #39,594 of 48,562
I have tested both G5 and E5
To me personally, playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.. G5 is very accurate with 7.1 surround sound and with EQ changes to lower highs a bit (basically change eq to my preference and headphones signature) I have absolutely no issues with it. I will keep it and return the E5 tommorow.

Sorry for digging up a super old post (I found it cross-posted in the G5 thread). Do you mind sharing your surround and EQ settings for PUBG?

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #39,595 of 48,562
X2's for sure. They don't need amped nearly as much as the 7XX's to sound good. I personally use X1 and X2's for gaming, they sound fantastic and are incredibly comfortable.

The X2 should be good enough directly out of your SBZ headphone jack. It's usually not good to double amp a source, which you would be doing if you added an amp from the headphone out. I believe the SBZ has an optical out. You're best bet for sound quality would be to get a DAC/AMP that has optical in.

Given that I am relatively new to the headphone game and I already have a potent speaker set, I decided not to go whole hog on something like the X2's or 7xx's and went with the PC37xx. It upgrades my mic and headphones, and can use my headphone port with no problems. So far, they are outstanding. They sound great, the mic is crystal clear and I can wear them for hours and forget they are on my head.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #39,596 of 48,562
Never knew how deep this audiophile sound world got, And it makes me wanna pull my hair out on deciding on a pair of headphones for gaming.

So if you have a budget off 200-500 (I can go higher it is really worth it, I need to hold my self back because I'm the type to go crazy lol)
What would be better out of this choice, I've read all lover here and watched videos ect. And the more you find out the more confused you can become, I guess being a subjective topic on what sounds better it gets like that.

1. Comfort / its gotta feel great for hours.
2. Accurate pin pointing sound positioning is number 1,
Would like to hear the guy in another room to the left of me farting while another guy down stairs is breathing. lol
3. I do listen to music (hiphop/rap), So if i pay the extra coin and get best of both worlds that would be even better.

My selection for gaming has come down too/ open headphones.
Sennheiser - HD598sr (every place I find this is a go to choice bang for buck gaming)
AKG k712 Pro
Audio Technica - ATH-AD900x
Sennheiser - HD600
Beyerdynamic - DT 880
I will run a amp/dac for them and a ModMic 5.0

If they were all free whats the best option? being Australian the prices are crazy, but that's stranded.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #39,597 of 48,562
Never knew how deep this audiophile sound world got, And it makes me wanna pull my hair out on deciding on a pair of headphones for gaming.

So if you have a budget off 200-500 (I can go higher it is really worth it, I need to hold my self back because I'm the type to go crazy lol)
What would be better out of this choice, I've read all lover here and watched videos ect. And the more you find out the more confused you can become, I guess being a subjective topic on what sounds better it gets like that.

1. Comfort / its gotta feel great for hours.
2. Accurate pin pointing sound positioning is number 1,
Would like to hear the guy in another room to the left of me farting while another guy down stairs is breathing. lol
3. I do listen to music (hiphop/rap), So if i pay the extra coin and get best of both worlds that would be even better.

My selection for gaming has come down too/ open headphones.
Sennheiser - HD598sr (every place I find this is a go to choice bang for buck gaming)
AKG k712 Pro
Audio Technica - ATH-AD900x
Sennheiser - HD600
Beyerdynamic - DT 880
I will run a amp/dac for them and a ModMic 5.0

If they were all free whats the best option? being Australian the prices are crazy, but that's stranded.

Out of all those, I say the k712 Pro. I've had the rest, and they don't have the soundstage (except the AD900x) and bass response.

Personally I'd recommend the Phillips Fidelio X2. I run them for gaming (along with a ModMic) and they're comfortable, have a huge soundstage and have way better bass than any you listed.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #39,598 of 48,562
Somewhat off topic here but as I'm not a member of any computer forum and this has to do with PC gaming I would like to ask the experts in this thread a question.
I did find a lot of similar questions on PC forums through none of themmanaged to answer the questions I have for my situation.
Also, my question is about video cards but more soundthan video related.

Here it comes.
I would like to use 2 Nvidia video cards in one PC.
I know that's possible but I'm not interested in using one for Physx or using them in SLI (though I have no problem with it if they have to be configured that way}.
I am also not inetersted in using multi-monitor setup or anything like that.

So why then?
Well, I need multiple HDMI ports (4 or 5 actually) all putting out the same signal.
I would only use 2 of them at the same time though (one for video, 1 for audio) but I really want all of them to be connected so I can switch easily).
I need HDMI for sound output since it's the only way to output HD sound. USBand optical are limited to DD and DTS, they can't output Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Masteror higher.
So what do I want to connect?
- a monitor via Diplay Port (ultrawide)
- a TV via HDMI (4K HDR)
- VR glasses
- a Smyth Realiser (the headphone equivalent of an A/V receiver)
- 2 Soundbars (Atmos or at least TrueHD capable)

So how do I go about getting 4 to 5 HDMI ports? The only good way I know about is two video cards with 3 outputs or so. I tried a bunch of HDMI splitters but they're a real pain and none of them did output all I want, except HD Fury but that one only has two outputs.

Any info you can share with me would be really welcome!

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #39,599 of 48,562
Maybe people with SLI + multi-monitor setups can answer this? I remember reading once that a single card with 2x HDMI ports cannot split the audio and video between the two different HDMI ports. Unsure if that inability extends to dual cards.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #39,600 of 48,562
Out of all those, I say the k712 Pro. I've had the rest, and they don't have the soundstage (except the AD900x) and bass response.

Personally I'd recommend the Phillips Fidelio X2. I run them for gaming (along with a ModMic) and they're comfortable, have a huge soundstage and have way better bass than any you listed.
I honestly was going to add them to the list and completely forget about the Phillips Fidelio X2, they keep popping up aswell
Personally I was learning towards the AKG k712 pro bout have no idea how the soundstage and imaging are on those, so your saying the k712's are not the right choice for FPS positional gaming such as pubg and such.. I know the AD900x are used in the gaming world alot I just don't like the reviews on comfort and how they slide around so thats kinda out for me.
Im guessing if its to bassy i'm loosing in sound elsewhere? i don't really need the extra bass if i loose gaming performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back