Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 24, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #46,906 of 48,562
A Schiit Hel 2 set to 24/48. Win volume 100%, Schiit in high gain, vol at about 11:00, headset volume about 2/3 of full. This amp was a huge improvement over the A50s or the PC38x from the headset jack.
Holy crap badman! That is damn loud! I run it at 10-11 on low gain.... Why the headset volume at 2/3 btw? Does it improve the sound?
Xbox series X
Hdmi Audio extractor (insignia) (5.1/stereo)
Dac (jds ell dac 2)
Amp (jds atom amp)

Headphones (bayerdynamic dt 990 pro)
Mic (Audio-Technica ATGM2)

What do you plug your mic into? The only device you have that can support that is the Xbox controller itself. So Mic in controller, headphones in atom. Then set it in the settings (not sure about that part, I am on playstation)

May 24, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #46,907 of 48,562
Holy crap badman! That is damn loud! I run it at 10-11 on low gain.... Why the headset volume at 2/3 btw? Does it improve the sound?

It's actually not too loud. Pre-amp in PEACE is at -2.5, so that tones it down a bit.

I set the headset at 2/3 when I was initially dialing everything in. I had to start somewhere. I "swagged" that it was enough to work but not overwork the drivers. Ultimately I wanted the Schiit to be a bit under 12:00, so it all worked out.

May 24, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #46,908 of 48,562

What do you plug your mic into? The only device you have that can support that is the Xbox controller itself. So Mic in controller, headphones in atom. Then set it in the settings (not sure about that part, I am on playstation)
I connect it to the Y splitter, where there are headphones and a microphone.

May 24, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #46,909 of 48,562
Guys, between these options, which headphone/headset would be better to play offline games on ps5/pc?

Sennheiser HD 598 X Audeze Mobius X Audeze Penrose X Astro A50 Gen 4?

Thanks!

May 24, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #46,910 of 48,562
I can only believe statements like that if you had two Valis, one with stock tube, and one with your tube of choice, perfectly volume matched, and with an A/B switch for INSTANT switch comparison. Just swapping out tubes and comparing takes way too long, and all you get is botched results filled with expectation bias. Just that minute to swap is enough to question results.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm simply saying that's the only testing I'll believe.

Just swapping out tubes might change the volume gain just enough for perception changes, hence why volume matching needs to occur. Even a quarter decibel can change our perception.
The difference is pretty obvious. I can also report a police siren and an ambulance siren have difference sounds too. I know you won't believe it.

May 24, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #46,911 of 48,562
I connect it to the Y splitter, where there are headphones and a microphone.
Ok, and then what? You connect the mic to your atom amp? Because that AMP doesn't have a microphone input :wink:
Your amplifier (nor the Toslink cable) doesn't have any way to get sound back to your Xbox.

The only way to make it work with the gear you have, is by putting the mic directly in the controller. If that is unacceptable for you, the only other way is to get a DAC/Amp with a mic input (like the schiit hel).

Guys, between these options, which headphone/headset would be better to play offline games on ps5/pc?

Sennheiser HD 598 X Audeze Mobius X Audeze Penrose X Astro A50 Gen 4?

Thanks!
Offline games? Anything that you like for music and is comfortable to you honestly. If you are not trying to hear footstep sounds to gain an advantage in online gaming, it is just purely preference. Go to a headphone store and try some headphones. I personally think Astro are pretty crap for their money, the others is more of a preference thing.

May 24, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #46,913 of 48,562
Offline games? Anything that you like for music and is comfortable to you honestly. If you are not trying to hear footstep sounds to gain an advantage in online gaming, it is just purely preference. Go to a headphone store and try some headphones. I personally think Astro are pretty crap for their money, the others is more of a preference thing.

I own a Sennheiser HD 598 for 7 years and I love it, but because I use it for so long I want to try something new, just to change a bit.

I'm also using a Orbit S (same as mobius) and can't decide between them, sometimes I think sennheiser is better and sometimes I think orbit s/mobius is better.

Actually I want a wireless headset/headphone, but haven't found anything so far that worth the money or aren't a downgrade when compared to my Sennheiser HD 598.

May 24, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #46,914 of 48,562
I own a Sennheiser HD 598 for 7 years and I love it, but because I use it for so long I want to try something new, just to change a bit.

I'm also using a Orbit S (same as mobius) and can't decide between them, sometimes I think sennheiser is better and sometimes I think orbit s/mobius is better.

Actually I want a wireless headset/headphone, but haven't found anything so far that worth the money or aren't a downgrade when compared to my Sennheiser HD 598.

Have you thought about buying a BTR5 and a really short cable? That makes all your headphones wireless.

AFAIK there is no Bluetooth headphone that is as good as a wired headphone of the same cost.

May 25, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #46,915 of 48,562
Have you thought about buying a BTR5 and a really short cable? That makes all your headphones wireless.

AFAIK there is no Bluetooth headphone that is as good as a wired headphone of the same cost.

Never heard about this BTR5, I'll looking into it.

Looks like there's no bluetooth/wireless alternative better than the Sennheiser HD 598 for offline gaming.

Is there a wired alternative, which is an upgrade over the Sennheiser HD 598? I searched about Sennheiser HD 6XX, HD 600, HD 58X Jubilee, HD 599, HD 560S, Philips SHP9600, X2HR, Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and looks like they're almost the same, with subtle differences, so I don't think that any of them are a considerable upgrade.

Thanks!

May 25, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #46,916 of 48,562
The difference is pretty obvious. I can also report a police siren and an ambulance siren have difference sounds too. I know you won't believe it.
Ok but did you blind test, volume match, A/B compare? No? Moving on.

May 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #46,917 of 48,562
1. Home Theater option is only a 5.1 signal. No upper or lower speakers.
2. No headphone produces upper floor and lower floor positional cues, except the HD800 category, and only partially with the correct source and DSP.

When you hear upper and lower floor in warzone Tmthis is only your brain processing your knowledge of the map, the sound (footstep volume, footstep reaction to floor type) and visuals all together, making you deduce the position of players up or down.
It's like hearing a helicopter, everyone will say i heard it above me. Not because of their magical headphones, but because....

May 26, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #46,918 of 48,562
So I received the Fulla 4 and Creative GC7 a day apart.

Initial impressions are polar opposites. The Fulla 4 is so simple, elegant, and a darling to use. I recommend this little thing to any budding audiophile that needs a mic input as well.

The GC7, however, was... not so pleasant at first. The device is incredibly complex, and you'll need patience understanding its endless amount of options and quirks. I spent over an hour wondering why I couldn't hear anything, only realizing that the game/voice knob is somehow bugged and backwards. Since I wasn't testing mics at the time, I set the knob fully to Game, and it just so happens that I have to set it to VOICE to get game audio, because of course.

So yes, not the best first day with the GC7.

May 26, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #46,920 of 48,562
With gaming audio in general, since it's usually compressed anyway - when do you hit the "overkill" mark when it comes to DAC's? And has anyone tried an R2R DAC with gaming?
Good question. When I describe my Schiit Hel 2 to my non-audio-enthusiast friends and that all it basically does is make things sound better (no VSS), they tell me I'm crazy. From their perspective, it's overkill. To me, it's a sweet spot I suppose. But if I were to look for a separate DAC solution solely for gaming, I'd objectively try to keep it at/under $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back