Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #46,666 of 48,566
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #46,668 of 48,566
OK, drumroll... the Sound Blaster GC7 DOES, I repeat DOES decode Dolby and then do SXFI for consoles. Via SPDIF in only. Tested on Xbox One S, and I also tested Dolby Digital out of my LG OLEDE65P SPDIF out. Dolby light goes on, SXFI light remains engaged. Huzzah!

Didn't actually try gaming to "test" it (haven't turned on my Xbox in ages so Warzone has like 5 gajillion GB updates before I could play, just scrolled around Netflix and the menu basically) but I see no reason why it wouldn't just sound like typical SXFI, since it is decoding to multi-channel PCM and then layering on the SXFI goodness, just like it does with SBX.

So, this is a pretty cool feature actually for this particular device. Creative you have sort of redeemed yourself!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #46,669 of 48,566
https://embody.co/pages/gaming

I saw this on LigitechG's site initially, then noticed it's a product called Immerse, which does your VSS, and has some lolwtf cheats in it, aka Sonic Radar, which will visially highlight opponents on your screen. (I can just see the bans coming) The other amusing part is that they have headphone profiles for a lot of the "audiophile" grade headphones from Audeze, Beyerdynamics, and a couple of others. The big downside is that it's subscription... up to a 7-yr prepaid plan. Ouch.

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #46,670 of 48,566
OK, drumroll... the Sound Blaster GC7 DOES, I repeat DOES decode Dolby and then do SXFI for consoles. Via SPDIF in only. Tested on Xbox One S, and I also tested Dolby Digital out of my LG OLEDE65P SPDIF out. Dolby light goes on, SXFI light remains engaged. Huzzah!

Didn't actually try gaming to "test" it (haven't turned on my Xbox in ages so Warzone has like 5 gajillion GB updates before I could play, just scrolled around Netflix and the menu basically) but I see no reason why it wouldn't just sound like typical SXFI, since it is decoding to multi-channel PCM and then layering on the SXFI goodness, just like it does with SBX.

So, this is a pretty cool feature actually for this particular device. Creative you have sort of redeemed yourself!
So you get VSS from PS5 via SPDIF (optical out from PS5 and optical in from GC7)?

https://embody.co/pages/gaming

I saw this on LigitechG's site initially, then noticed it's a product called Immerse, which does your VSS, and has some lolwtf cheats in it, aka Sonic Radar, which will visially highlight opponents on your screen. (I can just see the bans coming) The other amusing part is that they have headphone profiles for a lot of the "audiophile" grade headphones from Audeze, Beyerdynamics, and a couple of others. The big downside is that it's subscription... up to a 7-yr prepaid plan. Ouch.
I mean if they partner with Logitech Gaming and has that Radar Map, I dont think you can get ban unless it's for a tournament and they don't allow to use it. Because I don't see why would Logitech would partner with something that is like a cheat?

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #46,675 of 48,566
I canceled mine just now. The G6 is in B-stock again in europe for 80 euro.
Saves me 120+ euro, AND it is a better / more future proof solution I think. Letting the G6 handle the USB--> headphones from my playstation AND mic input. And to potentially use the G6 to go USB --> optical to a better dac/amp in the future.

I am eying the focal clear MG (I am wondering if it would be good for gaming too, but mainly for music), and might get a magnius/modius or something similar for that, I think the hel would probably be not good enough for such a headphone.

I don't know but may 20th, with the possibility for another delay, AND shipping to EU was just too much for me at this point.

Honestly not mad about it, supply shortages are what they are, but waiting 2+ months is not a great option for me.

I hope they don't mind canceling an order.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #46,676 of 48,566
Yeah same!

Also saw a post on reddit from someone claiming the mic input was horrible. I am curious if that was a quality control issue, or that the mic input is really that bad in all of them. How are you liking your Hel 2 @Mad Lust Envy ? Have you tested the mic input yet?
I saw that too. Yikes. If the mic input is not (really) good, this device will be pretty much pointless for me.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #46,677 of 48,566
I saw that too. Yikes. If the mic input is not (really) good, this device will be pretty much pointless for me.
Yeah exactly. So the G6 as a cheap (temporary) device should be an upgrade to the solution I use right now (old portable fiio E18 dac/amp for audio output / mixamp for mic input), at least in usability, but I think also in sound quality.

Then if (lets be real, when) I want an upgrade, I could just buy a stack without worrying about mic input. As an added bonus, I could even mess around with the VRR on the G6, but I am honestly liking the plain stereo audio ques since I got my ps5.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #46,678 of 48,566
Yeah exactly. So the G6 as a cheap (temporary) device should be an upgrade to the solution I use right now (old portable fiio E18 dac/amp for audio output / mixamp for mic input), at least in usability, but I think also in sound quality.

Then if (lets be real, when) I want an upgrade, I could just buy a stack without worrying about mic input. As an added bonus, I could even mess around with the VRR on the G6, but I am honestly liking the plain stereo audio ques since I got my ps5.
Your plan sounds good to me.

I am using the headset jack on my Alienware laptop with a PC38X headset for game sound and voice. My plan for the Hel 2 is to upgrade my game audio and game chat sound, then later upgrade to a better mic (if I need it). My friends say I sound better with the PC38X direct to the AW jack than I did on my Astro A50s, so at least I'm improved for now.

If the Hel 2 turns out to be NFG as far as the mic, I'll use my Jotunheim 2 for game audio (overkill lol) and look for a separate solution for mic input. But I was really hoping for a one-box gaming solution.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #46,679 of 48,566
Haven't had any issues with the mic input. At least just as good as the Hel, which was fine. So not sure what people are on about.

Knowing people I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mismatch in settings, Discord, etc.

I've used the Hel as my main mic input since the release.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #46,680 of 48,566
Haven't had any issues with the mic input. At least just as good as the Hel, which was fine. So not sure what people are on about.

Knowing people I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mismatch in settings, Discord, etc.

I've used the Hel as my main mic input since the release.
Thanks for the feedback (I couldn't help it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back