Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 11, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #26,461 of 48,562
Not sure if you gain any benefit from using a virtual surround amp. Is the Wii U like the Wii in that it has Pro logic II?

I can't confirm that yet (need to save up another $300-400 before my wallet gets destroyed on November 21), but knowing Nintendo, it probably does output Pro Logic II-encoded audio over the analog A/V-out if the audio output is set to the rather generically-named "Surround" in the system menu.

It should be noted that the whole reason I want a virtual surround processor that accepts HDMI audio is the Wii U, and I'd prefer not to have the bulk of a whole A/V receiver with unused speaker amps if I can get away with it.

Right now, my only option for that is the Smyth Realiser A8, and I don't think I need to explain how wallet-destroyingly prohibitive that one is between the staggering up-front cost and the fact that I need to make recordings with someone else's speaker system to properly use it.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #26,462 of 48,562
IIRC the Realizer does come with a default recording, so it's not useless out of the box. How good it is... that's up in the air. can't be much worse than something like Silent Cinema... I'm assuming.

At this point, my memory is hazy and I could be completely wrong.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #26,463 of 48,562
Any amp will. Just attach the video out cables from the Wii U to the amp's analog inputs. You may need an RCA to 3.5mm adapter for portable amps that don't have RCA inputs.

Not sure if you gain any benefit from using a virtual surround amp. Is the Wii U like the Wii in that it has Pro logic II?

WiiU only supports LPCM 5.1 via HDMI. there's only Pro Logic II via Wii Mode..
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1321/~/what-surround-sound-formats-does-the-wii-u-support%3F

I can technically connect the WiiU AV cables to the Mixamp right?

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #26,464 of 48,562
Well, the Burn in wonder works again.
At around 100 hrs  of burn in I had extreme highs with my Q701 and I thought, that my Bassmod was the reason, but after another 60 hrs the mids are great. I is hard to believe for me, but I changed nothing. Is the AKG really that burn in affected? I mean, I was really thinking about to send it back, because it was terrible.

Another point:
Would it be possible to increase the center soundstage by changing the drivers angle? In the german forums I found the "Audeze Killer".
They are debating about the truth, but I think that the Audeze Pads change the angle, so it changes a little bit to the front.
The rear simulation of the Q701 is great, so it wouldn`t change it that much?!?
In this thread you will see great pics of the earpadmod (the guy changed a lot more to get close to the Audeze).
I am not that happy with the original earpads, so I think about the AKG K 702 Gel Earpad or a Audzepadmod. The price is close.
The Leather would decrease the soundstage - correct?
Just some thoughts...

Link to the Mod: http://www.trinaural.de/vb3/showthread.php?p=163158

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #26,465 of 48,562
Guys I have a quick question, if I use an ODAC to O2 combo on my pc for gaming, can I still use the stock microphone input on my motherboard? I have been using my M-100 boom Mic combo straight from my soundcard and I am ready to upgrade to an external sound solution.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #26,466 of 48,562
Guys I have a quick question, if I use an ODAC to O2 combo on my pc for gaming, can I still use the stock microphone input on my motherboard? I have been using my M-100 boom Mic combo straight from my soundcard and I am ready to upgrade to an external sound solution.

Yup, no problem with that.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #26,467 of 48,562

Yup, no problem with that.

Thank you for your help! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #26,468 of 48,562
IIRC the Realizer does come with a default recording, so it's not useless out of the box. How good it is... that's up in the air. can't be much worse than something like Silent Cinema... I'm assuming.

There is a default PRIR, as they claim, but to me, just using that kinda defeats the purpose of spending the big bucks for the Realiser in the first place. You might as well just use a cheap Dolby Headphone processor if you can't or won't take advantage of the Realiser's signature PRIR feature.

WiiU only supports LPCM 5.1 via HDMI. there's only Pro Logic II via Wii Mode..
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1321/~/what-surround-sound-formats-does-the-wii-u-support%3F

I can technically connect the WiiU AV cables to the Mixamp right?

Everything I've heard about the Mixamp suggests that, like the other Dolby Headphone processors, it's also a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder on the analog RCA inputs and Astro just doesn't do a great job of advertising that feature alongside the usual Dolby Digital decoding.

You should be able to get some decent surround that way, though discrete LPCM would be preferable...wait a minute, PL2 ONLY in Wii Mode? You're stuck with stereo if you can't get an HDMI audio connection out of the Wii U?

Urgh, this complicates things...

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #26,469 of 48,562

There is a default PRIR, as they claim, but to me, just using that kinda defeats the purpose of spending the big bucks for the Realiser in the first place. You might as well just use a cheap Dolby Headphone processor if you can't or won't take advantage of the Realiser's signature PRIR feature.

Everything I've heard about the Mixamp suggests that, like the other Dolby Headphone processors, it's also a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder on the analog RCA inputs and Astro just doesn't do a great job of advertising that feature alongside the usual Dolby Digital decoding.

You should be able to get some decent surround that way, though discrete LPCM would be preferable...wait a minute, PL2 ONLY in Wii Mode? You're stuck with stereo if you can't get an HDMI audio connection out of the Wii U?

Urgh, this complicates things...

You should try and get to a head-fi meet and have a listen to the realiser if you can, it beats everything else by a long margin..even as it comes with the stax headphones and headphone amp..i have a pioneer susano av receiver with s81 speakers and the realiser sounds better than it..mixamp and beyerdynamic headzone game don't come anywhere near my pioneer susano!

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #26,470 of 48,562
Currently fighting between keeping either the DT990s or the Fidelio X1 but I am thinking of lining up one more in the mix

Been looking at the Anni or the 712 Pro to have a something a bit different to see which one I settle on. I don't want more than 1 can...maybe 2 eventually. The Anni and 712 are practically the same right?

Also, on closed cans. Any ideas for something with good bass.

The headphones I settle on are 80% games 20%music and movies

All single player, non competitive but a good soundstage wouldn't hurt for immersion.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #26,471 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust i have had my headphones for some time now and I never got to tell you thanks for helping me choose them. Your review has been very beneficial and it also got me interested (and now addicted) to better sound. Thanks again

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #26,472 of 48,562
Currently fighting between keeping either the DT990s or the Fidelio X1 but I am thinking of lining up one more in the mix

Been looking at the Anni or the 712 Pro to have a something a bit different to see which one I settle on. I don't want more than 1 can...maybe 2 eventually. The Anni and 712 are practically the same right?

Also, on closed cans. Any ideas for something with good bass.

The headphones I settle on are 80% games 20%music and movies

All single player, non competitive but a good soundstage wouldn't hurt for immersion.

I have the anniversary AKGs, actually bought them off of MLE about 1.5 years ago. I'm wanting to get something with a bit more warmness. The annies are fantastic, but I just am craving something else. I think you'll likely love them. Let me know what you decide on.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #26,474 of 48,562
  Hey guys, I was just wondering if I need to get a RCA connector to connect my MixAmp to my Fiio E9 or if I could just use a 3.5mm male cable.

3.5mm to RCA, regular E9 doesn't have 3.5mm in.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #26,475 of 48,562
Hello guys,

I am looking for a headphones/headset that will do a good job in games. I can spend up to 220$. All I'm looking for is decent sound and very good positioning. I've bought ATH-M50 before I came here so you can imagine my pain :)

I was thinking about getting Sennheiser PC 360 and AKG k612 pro. I do not have a separated DAC, but is there any sound card (up to 150$) that could drive k612 pro without any problems?

I have no experience in connecting high impedance headphones to the pc sound cards directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back