Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 31, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #44,221 of 48,562
Thinking about upgrading my K7XX to HD800S for gaming (gaming only).

Is my Schiit Hel powerful enough?
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 200mW RMS
The reason why I am asking:
This youtuber says he has distorted bass with 800S only on low "quality power". "On Schiit Hel the bass response didn‘t really seem as resolving and as clear..."

What do you think?

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #44,222 of 48,562
The HD800S definitely has a high impedance spike, and I'd probably recommend something better than the Hel for it. I think the spike reaches like 700ohms in the bass. So yeah...not an impedance range I think the Hel can truly output with ease.

I mean don't get me wrong, the Hel will reach high volumes, but I'd definitely get something with spare power on tap. Personally if I was getting an HD800s, I'd only get one if I have at least an Asgard 3. Though a Magni 3+ or Heresy would do ok I think.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #44,224 of 48,562
Anyone any advice?
@Mad Lust Envy
I honestly don't know. I haven't use hesuvi and that apo in a long time, and so I can't guess what is wrong with your setup, or what to use.

That and I'm not sure what it is you think you would be able to hear in the game.

At least make sure the sound preset on Modern Warfare is NOT set to headphones.

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #44,225 of 48,562
I honestly don't know. I haven't use hesuvi and that apo in a long time, and so I can't guess what is wrong with your setup, or what to use.

That and I'm not sure what it is you think you would be able to hear in the game.

At least make sure the sound preset on Modern Warfare is NOT set to headphones.
Thanks. This game has very loud everything, you cant hear footsteps easily.
I will buy another headset . open back, when i will be able to.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #44,226 of 48,562
Thanks. This game has very loud everything, you cant hear footsteps easily.
I will buy another headset . open back, when i will be able to.
I dont think that would fix your problems. The game's audio mixing may just be tuned where they don't WANT you to hear footsteps. If I remember correctly, a patch lowered that kind of audio, since when the game first came out, footsteps were very loud and people complained.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #44,227 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Hey, firstly sorry for my bad English.Thank you for this topic and all review. I pleasure reading and getting information. I enjoy playing competitive (Rainbow six siege, Escape from Tarkov, Cod MW etc.) games. I am using Samson SR850 with Sound Blaster Z right now but not satisfied with this combination. Have a lot of problems about distance and direction estimation with the opponent. I tried everything. I use only stereo this headphone. Sound Blaster pro studio all settings (Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart volume, Scout mode and Equalizer) off and windows configure speakers is stereo. am i using a bad headphone or source ? My settings is wrong ? Can you tell me what am i doing wrong ? i change my settings or equipment ? I would be happy if you help me. I hope you will stay healthy during these difficult days of the world.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #44,229 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Hey, firstly sorry for my bad English.Thank you for this topic and all review. I pleasure reading and getting information. I enjoy playing competitive (Rainbow six siege, Escape from Tarkov, Cod MW etc.) games. I am using Samson SR850 with Sound Blaster Z right now but not satisfied with this combination. Have a lot of problems about distance and direction estimation with the opponent. I tried everything. I use only stereo this headphone. Sound Blaster pro studio all settings (Surround, Crystalizer, Bass, Smart volume, Scout mode and Equalizer) off and windows configure speakers is stereo. am i using a bad headphone or source ? My settings is wrong ? Can you tell me what am i doing wrong ? i change my settings or equipment ? I would be happy if you help me. I hope you will stay healthy during these difficult days of the world.

Since you game in stereo, you're severely limited on direction estimation. As I said all throughout the guide and thread, I'm someone who uses virtual surround, which greatlky helps me estimate what direction sounds are coming from. So you might wanna start there, by enabling surround to like 67% or more. Also making sure it is set to 5.1 or 7.1. And making sure games do NOT have headphone in the sound option menu turned on. That's all I can help you with. I have no experience with the Samson so I can't say it's good or bad.

hey mad any insight to my above post?

I don't know about eithger the mobo or soundcard to say if you have surround. You say it has 7.1, but that doesn't tell me if it has a headphone option to turn 7.1 to a surround feature for headphones.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #44,231 of 48,562
Anyone any advice?
@Mad Lust Envy
For footsteps in Modern Warfare, switch to “boost low” in the game audio settings.

It will really boost footsteps but it will also lower the audio quality for everything else (makes it bloated and muddy). But the footsteps boost is so huge I suffer through it.

MW audio is really bad.

(I really wish the forum upgrade didn’t ruin all my thread email notifications!)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #44,232 of 48,562
You're right, i apologize, this is aimed towards PC gaming, i have a z390 aorus master MB, (125dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9118 DAC),
i also have an Asus Strix DLX sound card sitting in my desk drawer that i stopped using, as well as an FiiO EK10 laying around. does that help?
The FiiO E10K does not provide any headphone surround sound features.
Your on-board audio, Realtek ALC 1220, would use whatever headphone surround sound functions provided by the Realtek software.
For $30 you can get Creatives Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software, which comes with Creative's SBX headphone surround sound, which will run off the Realtek DSP chip (ALC1220).
https://software.store.creative.com/software/mb3
Me, I would disable the ALC 1220, in the BIOS.
And install the Asus Strix DLX sound card and try Asus Sonic Studio's headphone surround sound feature, for FPS gaming.

understood, but what would that look like? Is windows sonic or dts for headphones worth enabling?
DTS for headphone?

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #44,234 of 48,562
had to look, dolby atmos i mean im sorry, and bypass alc all together? ill go back to it, it came out of my x99 build. the mb3 software works out the box? (in a sense)

Not 100% sure what your asking about the MB3 software works out of the box?
You buy the X-Fi MB3, install it in your Windows 10 and it should come with a Control Panel for enabling and adjust the SBX Headphone surround sound function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back