Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #43,621 of 48,566
For the Mixamp, I'm not even sure it can grab proper surround from a PC. Unless the PC is connected to the Mixamp from a optical cable and the sound devices on the PC says Dolby Digital,m you're not gonna get the proper audio from a PC anyways, so you may as well use any amp.

So for you, using the headphone option in the game would be right, since the Mixamp can't properly do virtual surround anyways.

The Mixamp is very limited in terms of PC use.

Had you been on console, and the console outputting in Dolby Digital, then the game should've been set to output 'home thetaer' or something close to that, surround, and speakers. Nothing that says headphones. Remember you're trying to extract a home theater setup's sound, and the Mixamp itself would be converting that to a 'headphone' surround. This is why headphone options in game are NOT correct. You wouldn't be allowing the Mixamp to do what it should do properly (when you have the surround function turned on).

A real bad example: Think of it like trying turn audio from cd to mp3. Your Mixamp is a cd to mp3 converter, so you want the original file to stay as cd. If you already have another program's setting that turned the audio to mp3, then there wouldn't be any benefit to using the Mixamp in that case, and you would not let it do what it was meant to do.
No longer accurate, newest mixamps have full pc support.

Jan 7, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #43,622 of 48,566
Ah ok, then yeah, like consoles, you need to not enable headphone settings in game.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #43,623 of 48,566
https://www.koss.com/headphones/wireless-headphones/ksc35-wireless

HNNNNNG. Need. My PortaPro wireless lost a channel and I gotta fix it, but I could really use this in the meantime....

KSC35 wireless. $50. Edit: BOUGHT

(1)banner_koss_headphones_ksc35_4.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #43,625 of 48,566

I still can't get it to sound nice, whenever I turn the on board vss it sounds reverb and like I am listening underwater. I am most likely going to return it as I am not impressed with the sound quality at all.

For PC gaming, Would you say the X7 is worth getting still? After reading through this thread a bit more it seems that the Sennheiser GSX1000, Soundblaster X3, X7 and G6 are popular choices for pc gaming. If at all possible, I would like to be able to use multiple sources simultaneously, plugging my phone in for example. However I am willing to sacrifice that if it means I can get much better sound quality than the mixamp pro.

edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #43,627 of 48,566
You have to get used yo the sound. No one likes it when they first use it. You can't just turn it on and think, ok perfect. It takes days.

Assuming it's still using dolby headphone 2.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #43,628 of 48,566
You have to get used yo the sound. No one likes it when they first use it. You can't just turn it on and think, ok perfect. It takes days.

Assuming it's still using dolby headphone 2.

I was checking the manual and specs on the website and nothing specific about which dolby they are supporting. But if thats what VSS is supposed to sound like for gaming, I guess I can try to get used to it.

I will keep Battlefield V output on surround and preset speakers and keep the astro mixamp dolby button on and see how I fare with it for the time being.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #43,629 of 48,566
I still can't get it to sound nice, whenever I turn the on board vss it sounds reverb and like I am listening underwater. I am most likely going to return it as I am not impressed with the sound quality at all.

For PC gaming, Would you say the X7 is worth getting still? After reading through this thread a bit more it seems that the Sennheiser GSX1000, Soundblaster X3, X7 and G6 are popular choices for pc gaming. If at all possible, I would like to be able to use multiple sources simultaneously, plugging my phone in for example. However I am willing to sacrifice that if it means I can get much better sound quality than the mixamp pro.

edit: fixed typo
Yes, it's still pretty good and it can be further improved by swapping opamps for some better ones and/or adding an external dac/amp

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #43,630 of 48,566
I was checking the manual and specs on the website and nothing specific about which dolby they are supporting. But if thats what VSS is supposed to sound like for gaming, I guess I can try to get used to it.

I will keep Battlefield V output on surround and preset speakers and keep the astro mixamp dolby button on and see how I fare with it for the time being.

Yea, there was that one crytek game that came with vss enabled by default, and people didn't really complain about the audio quality, which indicates to me that when people don't have a point of reference for how the game "should" sound, they don't complain about vss sound quality at all. In other words, I see it as a problem of unfamiliarity. Meanwhile, the vss objectively gives them better spatial information.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #43,631 of 48,566
At CES 2020 JBL launched their own closed, circumaural VSS 3D positional audio gaming headset range, JBL Quantum:

https://news.jbl.com/en-CEU/184556-...e-launch-of-the-jbl-quantum-range-at-ces-2020

341325-Quantum%20specs-842b1b-original-1578049331.JPG

The top of the line model is JBL Quantum One (USB-C wired + also wireless connections) using their own user-customizable QuantumSURROUND and QuantumSPHERE 360 algos using the PC software to map multi-channel sound input to stereo VSS 3D output with personalized HRTF. They also support DTS Headphone 2.0. Quantum One model also has head-tracking.

The gaming VSS 3D marketplace is really heating up. Almost everybody and their grandma is throwing some sort of algo into the competition. In a few years we'll see which ones won. Often it is not even the best performing one, but the one that has best marketing and distribution.

What leave me hopeful is that JBL has excellent and experienced psychoacousticians working for them and state-of-the-art testing facilities. If they have utilized those to the full, they could have something quite interesting in their hands (in terms of the VSS algos).

If anybody tries the JBL Quantum (shipping in April 2020), let us know.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #43,632 of 48,566
I agree, there's nobody like JBL doing so much for staging and pinpoint imaging, from LS305 up to the highest top.

Rocking Studio 530 and L7 in my too small HT but getting supreme immersion and imaging nevertheless.

Would still prefer them partnering up with AKG for a higher end headphone solution.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #43,633 of 48,566
But if thats what VSS is supposed to sound like for gaming, I guess I can try to get used to it.

Astro MixAmp Pro TR gen3 had a bit tinny metallic sound to it. Some describe it metallic reverb. People say that the gen 4 TR has pretty much the same sound. You can make it a little better with custom preset but it is still there.

MixAmp works well to pinpoint sound directions but G6 sounds much better to my ears.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #43,635 of 48,566
No. The Fidelios are minutely v shaped. A cross of Neutral and V.

N shape would actually be lacking in sub bass and treble, and have only mids as its strength, and possibly some upper bass. Something like the HD650/6XX comes to mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Jcor
Back