Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #41,401 of 48,562
hey thanks for all that before i just picked up any gaming headset now i am learning so much more and so many options lol
you can end up lost with all the options! i ended up with 93 different headphones and headsets! all the models you mentioned are really good setups! i got the modmic 4 uni and omni directional models and the v5 but i think my v5 is broken because it introduces a lot of hiss. if it worked correctly thats the boom mic to go for, the v moda is also good, but id say mod mic is a little better, i also like the Triton mics from their ax720 type mic, i put one of them on the end of a custom one pro headset adapter cable, it suits my mono tone boring bassy voice well.

top tier mics are ath-adg1/x shennhiserr game one/zero ones, mod mic

i found the mmx300 mic to be rather muffled or bassy for my voice

desk mics like the yeti are a league above but introduce a lot of issues with setting them up and positioning them correctly. each person has their own requirements and there seems to be a right tool for every job! i hope you enjoy the ride and get a setup that you enjoy lots!

i just bought the g6 as i asked if the sidetone worked on it and didnt get a response so figured id add it to the collection, i can let you know how it is when it gets here, the x7 was very good.

an option thats working well at the moment is i put a Mackie onyx black jack on a usb switch to my ps4 and pc, got the antlion xlr to 3.5mm adaptor and am using that to quite good effect. i soldered my t70 250ohm drivers into my custom one pro case which i put dynamat in so i can cut out LOTS of background noise and the interface gives me good quite sidetone. but these things isolate so well i can hear the blood pumping in my head! (wish i didnt have to "keep the noise down")

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #41,402 of 48,562
you can end up lost with all the options! i ended up with 93 different headphones and headsets! all the models you mentioned are really good setups! i got the modmic 4 uni and omni directional models and the v5 but i think my v5 is broken because it introduces a lot of hiss. if it worked correctly thats the boom mic to go for, the v moda is also good, but id say mod mic is a little better, i also like the Triton mics from their ax720 type mic, i put one of them on the end of a custom one pro headset adapter cable, it suits my mono tone boring bassy voice well.

desk mics like the yeti are a league above but introduce a lot of issues with setting them up and positioning them correctly. each person has their own requirements and there seems to be a right tool for every job! i hope you enjoy the ride and get a setup that you enjoy lots!

i just bought the g6 as i asked if the sidetone worked on it and didnt get a response so figured id add it to the collection, i can let you know how it is when it gets here, the x7 was very good.

an option thats working well at the moment is i put a Mackie onyx black jack on a usb switch to my ps4 and pc, got the antlion xlr to 3.5mm adaptor and am using that to quite good effect. i soldered my t70 250ohm drivers into my custom one pro case which i put dynamat in so i can cut out LOTS of background noise and the interface gives me good quite sidetone. but these things isolate so well i can hear the blood pumping in my head! (wish i didnt have to "keep the noise down")

may i ask what is your current setup right now for gaming on the PC

i was also looking at the snowball mic but i am worried if i am on a conferece call at work it would pick up to much in the background

I came from a G5 to the GSX1000 and never looked back. The GSX VSS was a noticeable improvement for me, especially rear cues now sounded they were actually coming from the rear. Don't know about the G6, but I guess it's the same SBX as on the G5. However, the option to line out SBX on the G6 is really nice and something I dearly miss on the GSX.

Just get the GSX and see if it can drive your headphones, or get both and return the inferior device after testing.

Hi just curious i was watching a review on the GSX and one of the issue was the mic became less natural did you notice that and how did it compare to the G5

thanks

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #41,404 of 48,562
Ok, here is my story (don't be mad about my grammar or sentence structure, English is not my language).
I'm using Sennheiser PC 363D almost for 7 years now (maybe more, I can't remember). First, I was using it with 3D G4ME1 USB sound card. It was bad, but for a while I was using it with no problems (sound was like wearing a bucket on my head). Long story short, I bought Asus Xonar Essence STX, after watching some dude on youtube (I think it was LevelCap). In hindsight, not the best choice for gaming, but it's what I got now.
First, I thought that "Dolby Headphone" is not bad, but later I figured, with some testing is some games (escape from tarkov, Arma 3 custom maps for training sound positioning etc.), that it's much more accurate for me to just use 8channels (here) without DH or 7.1VS., and make some EQ changes (here)

I wanna change my headphones. I need the headphones witch richer soundstage. It's hard for me to differentiate "front" from the "back" (I'm guess, Escape from Tarkov ingame sound is crap by itself, but still). I hope you can help me :)

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #41,405 of 48,562
would you recommend the PC37X or the Game One's if both are the exact same price roughly.

thanks
Same headphone, rebranded.

First, I thought that "Dolby Headphone" is not bad, but later I figured, with some testing is some games (escape from tarkov, Arma 3 custom maps for training sound positioning etc.), that it's much more accurate for me to just use 8channels (here) without DH or 7.1VS., and make some EQ changes (here)

I wanna change my headphones. I need the headphones witch richer soundstage. It's hard for me to differentiate "front" from the "back" (I'm guess, Escape from Tarkov ingame sound is crap by itself, but still). I hope you can help me :)

You do realize that turning off Dolby Headphone even with 7.1/8.1, hell 2000.1 is all just plain stereo. Those channels are just converted to stereo. Instead of windows sending a stereo signal, it is just converted to stereo later in the pipeline. You gain no benefit of doing 7.1 or anything else if you're not using virtual surround. May as well set windows to 2.1.

It's like say a Dolby Digital encoded DVD. If you're only listening to 2 speakers, that 5.1 signal is converted to the 2 channels your speakers can output. Now... if your speakers had a virtual surround processing option, then yes, 5.1 would be a benefit.

Since you're turning off Dolby Headphone, you gain zero benefit from extra channels.

Mind you, if you're not using Dolby Headphone but the game itself has a headphone surround option, then you're gaining THAT benefit. But for stuff like Dolby Headphone, yoiu do NOT want game options labeled headphone surround. You want whatever is closest to something labelled home theater (since that is what Dolby Headphone is using to convert into Dolby Headphone).

A lot of people make the simple mistake of setting their games to whatever headphone presets are in the game, while they're using virtual surround devices that have Dolby Headphone, GSX, Razer Surround, SBX, etc. You're NOT supposed to do that.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #41,406 of 48,562

You do realize that turning off Dolby Headphone even with 7.1/8.1, hell 2000.1 is all just plain stereo. Those channels are just converted to stereo. Instead of windows sending a stereo signal, it is just converted to stereo later in the pipeline. You gain no benefit of doing 7.1 or anything else if you're not using virtual surround. May as well set windows to 2.1.

It's like say a Dolby Digital encoded DVD. If you're only listening to 2 speakers, that 5.1 signal is converted to the 2 channels your speakers can output. Now... if your speakers had a virtual surround processing option, then yes, 5.1 would be a benefit.

Since you're turning off Dolby Headphone, you gain zero benefit from extra channels.

Mind you, if you're not using Dolby Headphone but the game itself has a headphone surround option, then you're gaining THAT benefit. But for stuff like Dolby Headphone, yoiu do NOT want game options labeled headphone surround. You want whatever is closest to something labelled home theater (since that is what Dolby Headphone is using to convert into Dolby Headphone).

A lot of people make the simple mistake of setting their games to whatever headphone presets are in the game, while they're using virtual surround devices that have Dolby Headphone, GSX, Razer Surround, SBX, etc. You're NOT supposed to do that.

Like i said earlier in this post im a real newibe lol so for headphones on PC do i put it in stereo and then in software enable surround? or am i suppose to enable something else for surround. I have AKG K7XX and G6.

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #41,407 of 48,562
Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb right now, you mean mine was good enough, so I should get the same, but rebranded (game one) headphone?
If so, do you have some experience with Sennheiser GSP 500 (600, i think, is closed one, so not the best choice)? People are saying that they are basically the same as GAME ONE, but with better MIC. But people are saying the same thing about 360 and game one (not about the mic part tho) :)

And thanks for such in depth explanation! I'll try this things out again! Maybe not in Tarkov tho, I think it's not supporting 5.1.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #41,408 of 48,562
Like i said earlier in this post im a real newibe lol so for headphones on PC do i put it in stereo and then in software enable surround? or am i suppose to enable something else for surround. I have AKG K7XX and G6.

Since you have the G6, you're supposed to go into the software of the G6, and under setup, change speakers configuration to 5.1 or 7.1. Then in the Acoustic Engine in the G6 software, go to where it says surround and change that to (in my opinion) Ultra Wide. Then on the G6 itself, make sure the SBX button is lit up.

Now if the games you're playing have audio options that state something like STEREO, Headphone Surround, DO NOT USE THOSE. Make sure they are in home theater or something similar. Not many games will have options like this, so it may be a moot point. When games have settings that say something like Headphone Surround, it is under the assumption that you yourself do NOT have devices like the G6 that have their own form of surround processing. This is why you DON'T use settings like that when you DO have your own.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #41,409 of 48,562
i was also looking at the snowball mic but i am worried if i am on a conferece call at work it would pick up to much in the background
i have a snowball, yeti, se2200 razer siren x, one of them ebay conderson cheap mics and a maplin usb condenser mic too. if you set them up correctly and lower the gain on them or the pc then position them close enough to your mouth they sound very good but its hard to get them close enough to be comfortable with them. headsets and boom mics get around that issue by slapping them in your face.

everyone's requirements are different i guess and with one of the mics mentioned on here you can set them up to sound good. boom and headset mics almost always sound like a radio caster due to the proximity of them.

my current setup: (closed)
i watched youtube videos of interviews and noticed with surround turned on, with almost all of my systems i noticed a delay with lips moving before i heared there voice. that made me turn it off and confirm there was a delay (VERY slight and when gaming its almost easy to overlook) but because of this i now run direct or as little processing as possible.

i have the mackie onyx black-jack with the antlion xlr to 3.5mm phantom power converter hooked up to the beyerdynamic custom one pro which i have dynamatted and transplanted t70 250ohm drivers into, i use the detachable mic cable and switch the beyer mic over with a tritton pro+ mic purely due to the way it picks up my voice. the COP headset lets me seal out LOADS of noise so i dont disturb others in the room and the mackie interface lets me monitor my own voice so i dont shout. i have a g6 coming soon and will try this headset on that to see how that 130db spec goes!

past good setup for gaming (open back)
i used to use a musical fedility mx dac and hp amp in balanced mode into hd800's that setup was stupidly revealing i used the snowball mic then on a boom arm aswell but it was a tad too antisocial for others in the room.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #41,410 of 48,562
Hey thank everyone for the help and i have i have learned alot i have narrowed it down to the hd 598sr or the k7xx headphone and I think i am favoring the G6 over the gsx 1200 but not sure there yet. With a modmic 5.0. Last 2 question which of the 2 headset would be prefered if you play different games from mmo , rpg , fps. I dont just play FPS that is where my last confusion rides that some headsets are only really good for FPS.

thanks

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #41,411 of 48,562
Hey thank everyone for the help and i have i have learned alot i have narrowed it down to the hd 598sr or the k7xx headphone and I think i am favoring the G6 over the gsx 1200 but not sure there yet. With a modmic 5.0. Last 2 question which of the 2 headset would be prefered if you play different games from mmo , rpg , fps. I dont just play FPS that is where my last confusion rides that some headsets are only really good for FPS.

thanks
K7xx might be a better choice because it got a bit more bass and has a bigger soundstage.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #41,412 of 48,562
With the vast knowledge in this thread, have we agreed on the best headphones you can possibly buy for PC gaming when money isn't a factor? I'm talking about normal (production) headphones you can buy every day and not one-off limited edition $10k BS headphones that come out from time to time. I also don't need a mic.

I'm assuming it's the Sennheiser HD 800/800S from my current research.

My biggest question/concern is this though: We all know PC video games probably don't use the highest fidelity sound files, I'm wondering if there virtually would be no difference between like a $750 Sennheiser HD700 and a $1700 HD 800S. Has anyone found any scientific data or graphs to see where the line is drawn or is it just opinions?

I'm looking to get the best sound setup possible in the future if budget isn't an issue but I'm not dumb enough to assume more expensive = better for specific scenarios such as PC gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: FYI I have a Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 PCIE internal sound card but willing to go external DAC if needed

rtings has been doing some measurements on soundstage in headphones. For the purposes of gaming and virtual surround sound, I think the best idea is to have a PRIR that is close to flat (so it doesn't interfere with the virtual surround sound) . Surprisingly, the hd800s and hd700 don't do that, but the inexpensive audio technica ad700x and grado sr80e do.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #41,414 of 48,562
Sorry, I'm being a bit dumb right now, you mean mine was good enough, so I should get the same, but rebranded (game one) headphone?
If so, do you have some experience with Sennheiser GSP 500 (600, i think, is closed one, so not the best choice)? People are saying that they are basically the same as GAME ONE, but with better MIC. But people are saying the same thing about 360 and game one (not about the mic part tho) :)

And thanks for such in depth explanation! I'll try this things out again! Maybe not in Tarkov tho, I think it's not supporting 5.1.

GSP500 is a nice improvement on the Game One, the better choice thus.
But have you read the very first post in this thread? It’s about the best and most informative post on this whole forum, I read it from top to bottom and enjoyed it as much as a good novel ...

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #41,415 of 48,562
I haven't been following the last few pages too closely, but if the question is the G6 for PC use: in my personal opinion, as far as $150 Creative products go, the G6 is inferior to the E5 purely for PC use. Much better sounding EQ software, more features (e.g. bluetooth and phone app), same 7.1 SBX, for the same price. I believe the internals are the same (same Cirrus Logic DAC, same Texas Instruments amp). If I were going PC only I'd opt for the E5 or the GSX1000, if you don't need line out. G6 is console only to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back