Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 1, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #32,686 of 48,566
So I just got my AKG K702s a few days ago. They're awesome and feel great. I plug them directly into my Eizo Foris FS2434 monitor because the Wii U doesn't have any headphone inputs. However, when I do the Surround Sound test in the Wii U System Settings, I only hear 3 sounds instead of 5 sounds like I'm supposed to. How do I get surround sound to work on the Wii U with my AKG K702s? Plugged directly into my computer screen. I've only had them for a few days, so they're far from being burned in. Right now everything sounds like spacious stereo, although positional cues have improved over using speakers. How much better will positional audio become with surround sound?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #32,687 of 48,566
You will not get surround when using the monitor as your headphone source. You will need a surround sound processor. I don't know which one works with the Wii U and I am not really sure there is a way to get 'real' surround sound with it. 
redface.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #32,689 of 48,566
I sincerely hope the G5 has the ability to daisy chain at LAN. At this point I'm going to be heading in to BO3 with no audio, because I refuse to buy the MixAmp until I get confirmation of the G5's abilities. All set to pull the trigger on it, but man, I really need Creative to announce a date or something (I'm wasting precious time here!)

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #32,690 of 48,566
This was posted on neogaf and I thought it was really interesting. It's a slide from a Sony presentation about their new VR headset. This covers audio tech. It's almost sounds like a virtual Dolby Atmos for headphones.

So the "breakout box" has dedicated hardware for general auditive/binaural rendering. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #32,691 of 48,566
^any timeframe on when those VR bad boys will finally be released? I can't imagine the DAC or Amp will be up to mid-fi competitive. Hopefully the headphones plug into the aforementioned "breakout box" so we don't have a cumbersome amount of wire draping around our heads, a separate box would be easier to at least hook up to a nice amp.

Otherwise, if I got a möbius VR headset and I had to live with the internal amp, I would just get one of the sensitive Oppo headphones that don't need extra amping and don't hardly ever distort.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #32,692 of 48,566

Just use the best sensitive headphone available for the money. Maybe Fostex NEW 2016 headphones will be less elegant and cheaper

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #32,693 of 48,566
Tr50p MKIII?
They are good... But I'd rather have at least a semi-open headphone.

Edit: Oh BTW, the Fostex TR50P should be on people's shopping shortlist for an affordable awesome closed planar-magnetic headphone!!

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #32,694 of 48,566
No, meant the successors to the TH-900 and 600.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #32,695 of 48,566
I notice a good number of people are still buying ad700x and ad900x for gaming... What is the difference between 700x and 900x? Has anyone tried both, thanks.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #32,696 of 48,566
Okay, at first I thought I was going crazy but I tested it with the E18 that I recently got. The Custom One Pro does sound better on high gain. It just does. Both on the X7 and the E18 switching to high gain makes the mids punchier and the bass more pronounced. Curiously, I wasn't able to replicate that behavior with my other headphones.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #32,697 of 48,566

My M&M 2 uber stack has a hi and a low gain output. Which would be a best setup for the Superlux 681 Evo and for my awesome AKG k7XX that I'm ordering for the first time on this site https://www.massdrop.com/r/7P8F5L ? I am debating if I should order another one for by brother because there are more than half sold, but I've spent a lot recently :*(

I hope the K7XX lives up to its hype haha, i haven't been hyped on a product in the longest time.

Also, will dts X work on old sound cards too? if not, will i need a new sound card? Also when do you guys think those new sound cards come out?

What is the current best virtual surround sound mode for headphones for fps gaming?(possible sound card link thats cheap but good, I just want to use optical out to my M&M stack n 5.1 to speakers)

I haven't learned so much from a site lol before lol, I find Headfi to be the best site for anything sound related :D.

Thanks in advanced!

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #32,698 of 48,566
Sorry if this has been covered already as I haven't been keeping up with this thread of late but does the new Astro Mixamp TR offer any sound improvements over the previous versions? 

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #32,699 of 48,566
So got my replacement X2 today, everything seems to be ion order. I didn't realize my older X2's pads were so heavily compressed compared to the X2 fresh out of the box. It's almost like double the size? I wonder how much the SQ changd just from the pad compression. I can't compare since my old one is messed up now, and I have barotrauma from being sick AND having taken two planes yesterday. My ears are horribly stuffed and unequalized. Everything sounds low-fi and muffled atm. Of course an audio guy has to deal with ear issues first thing after a vacation, lol.

Philips told me the package would contain info for shipping the old one back, but all they sent was the new X2 in it's sealed box with all it's basic contents and nothing else. Looks like I'm gonna have to contact them yet again so they can give me the info for returning the old ones, and putting my money back in the account.

Also got a new Logitech backlit wireless keyboard that I can't get quite used to.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #32,700 of 48,566
Tr50p MKIII?
They are good... But I'd rather have at least a semi-open headphone.

Edit: Oh BTW, the Fostex TR50P should be on people's shopping shortlist for an affordable awesome closed planar-magnetic headphone!!

I've heard mk3's are similar to alpha dogs, is this true??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back