Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #286 of 48,562

Quote:
There's a controller port next to the headset jack. I don't own a 360, but if I remember correctly I believe the 360 headsets plug into the controller. I'm not sure how this fits into the equation though.

Oh I didn't know that about the MixAmp.

The 360 headsets do indeed plug into the controller, which is why I'm a bit confused too.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #287 of 48,562

Quote:
[size=9pt]Sorry if you have already said this, but what are you gaming on PC, PS3 or Xbox?[/size]

[size=9pt]In the case of Xbox the line out for the headphones handles that mic as well. When using a headset, that is not the Astro A40 or A30, with a built in mic or separate mic, you have to use a Y splitter that comes with the mixamp that you plug the green headphone and pink mic line into.  then there is a line out to the controller as that is where the game chat comes from. So if you use a set of dedicated bad-a phones and a clip on mic you would plug them in like that. Below is a diagram my friend Neks made to help people visualize this set up with all components that would make the best set up. You can remove the amp if you have a 32 ohm set up.[/size]

[size=9pt][/size]
Quote:
Is there a usb mic you can recommend? I think that one you need to have a mixamp for it don't you? I'm just not sure when I'm getting my mixamp so unless you can connect it somehow without the mixamp I'm going to need a usb mic.

Thats a big pile of cables to lug around every time you play (theres no mixamp's usb power cable on the pic) 5 freaking cables if you use the usb. I use mixamp with ad700's and clip on mic connected to the controller (360), so i only got one, the headphone cable coming from the TV stand where the i keep the mixamp. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #288 of 48,562
The Mixamp isn't a very 'elegant' solution. The AX720 is much better, as it's a set top box, and the only thing that needs to be near you is the puck where you plug in your headsets.

The Mixamp 5.8 however. Is even better as all you need near you is the Rx unit. Perhaps just one usb cable to keep the RX charged. That's it. I want one. NOW.

Here's my craptastic and cramped setup... (my ex literally took everything a few months ago. I just got this couch, seat and Ottoman and little tables all last week)

Didn't realize that my apartment couldn't fit it all...

Optical switcher on the top right (needed it for the 360 and PS3). Have the first gen Mixamp right there so I can adjust it without moving it around. The cable from the controller to the Mixamp is long enough to reach where I lean back on the big couch.

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #289 of 48,562
So what is better to go with AD700,HD 555 moded,HD 558 moded,DT770,DT880,DT990 (which model and how many Ohm and which amplifier)
Also what is better to go with this ear force DSS or PC sound card like Asus Xonar D1/DX or Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Is possible to buy this AX720 Audio Controller only ?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #290 of 48,562
I had the HD598. If the modded HD58 is the same as the HD598, the that is the BEST way to go (I honestly don't believe that it is, unlike the modded 555 and 595, Sennheiser can't possibly be that stupid to do such a thing again).

The HD598 is the best headphone I have used for gaming that didn't require an extra amp. Better than the AD700, PC360, AX720, Beyers, and what have you. They sounded like a K70x with more bass (though they aren't bassy themselves, and less soundstage, but still large overall.)

So if I was empty handed right NOW and didn't need a mic or didn't mid attaching one, the HD 598 + Mixamp 5.8 would be the way I would go. I don't particularly like the HD598 for music, but I liked them better for music than the K701 or AD700, which are the only two headphones I'd rate slightly higher in purely competitive terms. For around $160, these are pound for pound my favorite gaming headphone.

If you plan on attaching an amp, I would choose the DT990 (600ohm in my case, YMMV with the other versions) over the rest due to it being good with everything, from fun to competitive gaming, movies AND music, IMHO.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #293 of 48,562

Quote:
Styles: Why is the Xbox controller connected to the MixAmp?

The Xbox voice chat comes through the controller.  When just playing with sound out of your tv/speakers you connect the standard Xbox headset to the controller for the voice chat.  When you buy a full Astro system with their headset and mixamp, the headset has the built in mic and the cord has 1 plug to handle game sound and mic.  If you want to use a different headset like a PC headset with built in mic you use the 3 pole Y adapter. In both of those set ups you need to get the voice chat from the controller into the mixamp. Thats why it has a cable going to it from the controller. This is how the game/voice knob on the mixamp works.  I use a Turtlebeach cable for this one because it has the mute switch on it. The TB cable is only $5 and you can buy it seperate under the X41 accesories page on their site.

Yes this seems like a lot of cables but it is the best sounding and functioning Xbox set up I have had.  Most of my friends as well as myself play at a desk or a gaming room where the cables are managed and organized. Ill post up some pics of mine soon. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #294 of 48,562
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thats a big pile of cables to lug around every time you play (theres no mixamp's usb power cable on the pic) 5 freaking cables if you use the usb. I use mixamp with ad700's and clip on mic connected to the controller (360), so i only got one, the headphone cable coming from the TV stand where the i keep the mixamp. 

Without sending the chat signal from the controller to the mixamp this set up doesnt really let you take full function of the game/chat knob. 

In your Xbox settings for voice do you have it set to play over the speakers instead of the default headset setting?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #295 of 48,562

Quote:
I had the HD598. If the modded HD58 is the same as the HD598, the that is the BEST way to go (I honestly don't believe that it is, unlike the modded 555 and 595, Sennheiser can't possibly be that stupid to do such a thing again).

http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

This shows the 558 and 598 as having the same driver.  And, lo and behold, Sennheiser put another piece of foam on the 558 same as the 555.

I have no idea how they compare though before and after the foam is removed. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #296 of 48,562
I do wonder what driver is in the PC360's though.  The 555-595 driver or the 558-598.  And also if the PC360's have a foam strip as well......

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #297 of 48,562

Quote:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Without sending the chat signal from the controller to the mixamp this set up doesnt really let you take full function of the game/chat knob. 

In your Xbox settings for voice do you have it set to play over the speakers instead of the default headset setting?

Both. I got voice volume at 10 and game volume 5. When im in a party chat with my bro playing some bad company i hear him loud and clear. Only prolem is that i dont hear my own voice from the headphones which if remember correctly the traditional mixamp setup will give you

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #298 of 48,562

Quote:
Quote:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both. I got voice volume at 10 and game volume 5. When im in a party chat with my bro playing some bad company i hear him loud and clear. Only prolem is that i dont hear my own voice from the headphones which if remember correctly the traditional mixamp setup will give you

[size=10pt]You are only using the mixamp for the 5.1 DD sound and not the voice feature.  In the Xbox settings by having the voice chat setting play over both the speakers and the headset, you’re really only playing them through the speakers.  Read the setting closely, the voice volume setting ONLY applies to when you are in private chat during a game not regular chat during a game.  That’s why your bro sounds so clear when your playing in private/party chat.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Are you using the Astro Mixamp?  I’m only asking because you said “traditional” mixamp.  The mixamp does not mix your voice very much, just ever so slightly over the speakers like a telephone.  That is a feature of the Turtlebeach X4 and X41’s to help keep you from yelling in the mic.[/size]

[size=10pt]In the end the Astro mixamp should be set up with the cable from the controller to the mixamp to be able to use the voice chat/game knob, hence the “mix” in mixamp. [/size]

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #299 of 48,562
Astro mixamp here and yes only use it to get "5.1". To hear chat from others better without party chat, you can put the game sound down from the games own menu, to bring just game volume down. Then turn volume up from the mixamp, this brings both game and chat (even if it's coming from the speakers) levels up. Makes hearing others a littlebit better. I do it this way to get away from the cable mess, and the worst, most annoying cable in the astro setup is the controller to mixamp one

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #300 of 48,562

Quote:
Astro mixamp here and yes only use it to get "5.1". To hear chat from others better without party chat, you can put the game sound down from the games own menu, to bring just game volume down. Then turn volume up from the mixamp, this brings both game and chat (even if it's coming from the speakers) levels up. Makes hearing others a littlebit better. I do it this way to get away from the cable mess, and the worst, most annoying cable in the astro setup is the controller to mixamp one

I see and I agree about the cable from the controller to the mixamp.  Here is my set up, as you can see I use the Turtlebeach cable there (white) so I can mute my mic.

I have it set up on this light weight table that I just slide toward my recliner there.  Dont mind the wiring set up, just bought this house and finished that rack and am still working on wire routing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back