Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #43,201 of 48,562
Hi i use now the sony z1r for everything: music games movies.
When i play games i use boom 3d audio or nahimic software for surround.
I used the dolby atmos software from windows ,but i didnt heard a difference.
But can i get better sound for movies and games with an external gaming amp dac or is a regular stereo amp dac better with surround software on the pc better?

Thanks

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #43,202 of 48,562
Adds at least 30ms of audio delay, upto 60 for some of he larger “rooms”. Or at least that was the case as recently as 2 years ago. Not ideal for gaming.
Go to around 5:50 mark to find out why this doesn't really matter

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #43,203 of 48,562
Yeah I was playing with a 45ms bluetooth low latency codec for awhile, and it's downright miniscule.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #43,204 of 48,562
Go to around 5:50 mark to find out why this doesn't really matter

I felt the delay of OOYH. You guys may not have, but I did, and I wasn’t looking/listening out for it either. In fact, it hadn’t even occurred to me that I might experience it until I did experience it which prompted me to look into it and find other users and pro reviewers had commented on it too. Scriba can try it for him/herself and if he/she doesn’t feel any delay and likes OOYH’s VSS, great, no problem. They are the prospective user in question, their impression/experience, is ultimately the only one that matters for their use case.

As for your link, if it’s all a negligible much of a muchness that wouldn’t really be noticeable or detrimental to anyone as per your claim, then why does the Youtuber’s conclusion from 6mins 4 seconds contradict that notion? Moreover, the very creation/existence of the vid in the first place was obviously due to the questions raised by users sensitive to audio delay.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #43,205 of 48,562
As for your link, if it’s all a negligible much of a muchness that wouldn’t really be noticeable or detrimental to anyone as per your claim, then why does the Youtuber’s conclusion from 6mins 4 seconds contradict that notion? Moreover, the very creation/existence of the vid in the first place was obviously due to the questions raised by users sensitive to audio delay.

Because his conclusion is absolutely correct, lower audio latency would absolutely improve the gaming experience. However as most games exhibit almost 200ms of lag anyway the extra latency added by OOYH is neglible in comparison. Not to mention there are dedicated gaming presets available that offer lower latency still.

Yeah I was playing with a 45ms bluetooth low latency codec for awhile, and it's downright miniscule.
IIRC we had a pretty similar conversation about processing latency a few years ago when you reviewed OOYH for the first time.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #43,206 of 48,562
Hello guys.

my current setup for gaming (FPS games on PC) is:
- Sennheiser GSX1000 Dac/amp
- Phillips SHP9500s
- V-moda Boom pro mic

For christmas i was looking to invest in something new (only if i´m getting way better performance) and i was looking to AKG712 pro.
I look for good positional and imaging audio on my headphones. I was looking at the sennheiser gsp 500/600 but the "gaming" sticker on those headphones is pushing me back.

My questions are:
- do the AKG712 pro worth the upgrade?
- the AKG712 pro are 60ohms and the GSX1000 are max at 50ohms Do they work good on the gsx?
- i heard of a plug with a 3.5mm jack output to use with the v-moda. Do you guys think it will work?
- Do you guys think i shoud just save my money and keep what i have?

Thanks in advance and sorry for some bad Inglish i might have said.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #43,207 of 48,562
Hello guys.

my current setup for gaming (FPS games on PC) is:
- Sennheiser GSX1000 Dac/amp
- Phillips SHP9500s
- V-moda Boom pro mic

For christmas i was looking to invest in something new (only if i´m getting way better performance) and i was looking to AKG712 pro.
I look for good positional and imaging audio on my headphones. I was looking at the sennheiser gsp 500/600 but the "gaming" sticker on those headphones is pushing me back.

My questions are:
- do the AKG712 pro worth the upgrade?
- the AKG712 pro are 60ohms and the GSX1000 are max at 50ohms Do they work good on the gsx?
- i heard of a plug with a 3.5mm jack output to use with the v-moda. Do you guys think it will work?
- Do you guys think i shoud just save my money and keep what i have?

Thanks in advance and sorry for some bad Inglish i might have said.
K712 compared to shps is not an upgrade imo. I didn’t like the sound quality of the k712 especially when listening to music. Soundstage was wider from the sides but front and rear imaging was vague at least to my ears. The shps have better positional audio especially front/rear positional audio. And the gsx doesn’t have enough power to drive k712.

The Audeze LCD1 is more of an upgrade compared to shps but I’m not sure how much those are for you. The Hifiman Sundara is a good alternative to the lcd1.

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #43,208 of 48,562
K712 compared to shps is not an upgrade imo. I didn’t like the sound quality of the k712 especially when listening to music. Soundstage was wider from the sides but front and rear imaging was vague at least to my ears. The shps have better positional audio especially front/rear positional audio. And the gsx doesn’t have enough power to drive k712.

The Audeze LCD1 is more of an upgrade compared to shps but I’m not sure how much those are for you. The Hifiman Sundara is a good alternative to the lcd1.

They are too pricey atm for me and a little dificult to get in my country. But thanks for your feedback

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #43,214 of 48,562
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #43,215 of 48,562
If only it supported Android...

Anyone aware of a device, that can be used with Android tablet (the new Samsung S6) via USB-C, and provide virtual surround for watching movies (Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu)?

I think Android recently added Atmos, didn't it?

I don't know if those apps on Android can otherwise put out discrete 5.1 or 7.1 audio. The Super X-Fi USB stick would otherwise work if it did, but I never got the VSS to work with media on any of my android devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back