Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #43,216 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.
I'm currently playing on console (PS4 Pro) until next month. My plan is to switch to PC.

This is my setup for console at the moment:
- SoundBlaster G6
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 / AKG K702

So what what would be "the best" setup in terms of positional audio on PC?
Should I stick with the G6 (SBX)?
Should I get a Creative Super X-Fi or X3?
Or should I just get a good amp + Dolby Access for Windows?

Sorry for the many questions, but I have so many options now on PC compared to PS4.

Thanks in advance
I have tried them all the best VSS by far is Super X-Fi once you get a good headmap.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #43,217 of 48,562
Haven't tried the Arctis pro. Dunno maybe it actually sounds good. Considering how small the wireless, console-compatible vss headset market is it may be a pretty compelling option.
The arctis pro is complete overpriced garbage the DT 770 destroys it on all fronts for the same price or usually cheaper. And there implementation of the DTS X has a terrifying lag my gunshot had already hit the target before I heard the gun shot. SXFI once you have a good headmap is the best VSS I have come by with waves nx being runner up. A really good gaming headphone that deserves praise and a look into IMO are the Asus ROG Delta and Delta core depending if you already have a DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #43,218 of 48,562
The arctis pro is complete overpriced garbage the DT 770 destroys it on all fronts for the same price or usually cheaper. And there implementation of the DTS X has a terrifying lag my gunshot had already hit the target before I heard the gun shot. SXFI once you have a good headmap is the best VSS I have come by with waves nx being runner up. A really good gaming headphone that deserves praise and a look into IMO are the Asus ROG Delta and Delta core depending if you already have a DAC.
Must've missed the part where sxfi became wireless and console compatible.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #43,219 of 48,562
Looking for noise isolating/noise cancelling headphones that won’t make me miss my Audio Technica AD700’s.

The new AirPods Pro’s made me realize the benefits of noise reduction for competitive gaming so I’ve been on the search for a new pair of cans.

The biggest reason I love the AD700’s is that the mids are not recessed like the Sennheiser G4ME ONE’s. This gives presence/closeness to every sound queue/ability not just footsteps. Also looking for positional accuracy and a wide soundstage.

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #43,221 of 48,562
I think that company sent me a message a while back but I declined. Wasn't in the right mindset to review. They do look nice though.

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #43,222 of 48,562
Hey @Mad Lust Envy , I've been a lurker on and off for a while. I've actually suggested this very thread to many folks for quite some time.. but now I'm here to seek advice for myself.

I've got a budget of ~$800 for quality headphones for 90% competitive gaming and 10% music/fun via my PC.

Comfort is more important than competitive sound cues for me. I have a larger than average head to the point where I've found many headphones uncomfortable beyond belief. My Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros clamping force was far too great to the point inducing headaches. Steelseries Arctis Pro suspension band design lead to the metal frame resting directly on top of my head.

Additionally, I just want something that feels nice and premium. My Audiotechnica AD-900x felt flimsy, and over time the wing design gave out and resulted in extreme sag. While I could use a rubber-band, that was less than comfortable.

Elsewhere, folks have suggested I look at HD 800's, HD 660's, DT 1990, Focal Elex, Fidelos x2. This guide has me leaning toward AKG 702 or 712. Honestly though, I'm a bit out of my league here and was hoping for some guidance.

Additionally, I upgraded from my old (spastic) asus xonar stx internal card to the Creative Sound BlasterX G6 based on this guide and some additional reading. While I've been happy so far, would there be any option that would outclass the G6 (DAC & Amp) at let's say a ~$600 budget? Again, purposes here would be 90% gaming/10% music via PC.

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #43,223 of 48,562
Looking for noise isolating/noise cancelling headphones that won’t make me miss my Audio Technica AD700’s.

The new AirPods Pro’s made me realize the benefits of noise reduction for competitive gaming so I’ve been on the search for a new pair of cans.

The biggest reason I love the AD700’s is that the mids are not recessed like the Sennheiser G4ME ONE’s. This gives presence/closeness to every sound queue/ability not just footsteps. Also looking for positional accuracy and a wide soundstage.

I was looking at noise cancellation too, reminded by the release of those airpods. If you assume the noise of a gaming pc is relatively constant, does one need special headphones for noise cancellation? Can't you just record the noise, invert it yourself, and try to sync it up so it cancels out, with any headphones?

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #43,224 of 48,562
Hi Guys,

Thanks to this forum I have AKG K612 Pro and sound blaster zx for about 3 years now. I am happy - for my types of gaming (fps mostly) this setup is very good, but not perfect :wink:

I noticed you can have more bass, more fun and more immersion when used Astro A40s but their sound quality is definitely worse than AKGs and also enemy positioning was harder than with AKGs.

My question is, what headphones should I buy to have more fun, more bass, more immersion without sacrifying sound quality and positioning / soundscene?

I selected few models that are priced more or less the same:
- AKG K712 Pro
- Philips Fidelio X2HR
- Sennheiser HD600

Or maybe some other?

What would you say? What should I pick?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #43,225 of 48,562
Just got the M570 today. Played a game of BFV and the M570 have better positional audio.
vLl4VhT.jpg

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #43,226 of 48,562
Have you tried plugging the AKG K612 Pro, directly into the SB-Zx card, without using the ACM module?
Soundmagic HP200 headphones would be an improvement for music audio.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #43,230 of 48,562
I was looking at noise cancellation too, reminded by the release of those airpods. If you assume the noise of a gaming pc is relatively constant, does one need special headphones for noise cancellation? Can't you just record the noise, invert it yourself, and try to sync it up so it cancels out, with any headphones?
It doesn't seem to be an easy thing to do. You would need microphones in both cups of the headphones. If the microphone was placed in a separate box it would be pretty much impossible to receive the correct signal required to invert and cancel the noise.

It would be really cool if a company out there made a DIY kit to transform normal headphones into noise-cancelling ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back