Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #41,671 of 48,562
Wow, what’s up with Astro Mixamps being EITHER for PS4 OR Xbox? No more cross platform solutions? Can anyone recommend an amp/dac that will handle BOTH audio and chat on both systems? Think I may retire Astro all together.
So the Xbox Mixamp will work on PC and PS4 when put into PC mode. However, the PS4 Mixamp will not work on the Xbox One, as it needs a special chip certified by Microsoft for game chat. Game audio works fine though.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #41,674 of 48,562
Any idea which cables are needed for the 5.8 mixamp to work for both chat and audio on the Xbox One S?

The first page of this thread has a lot of helpful wiring diagrams for setting up various devices to consoles. I never had a Mixamp 5.8, but I did used to have a Mixamp Pro and Mixamp Pro 2013. Setup seems to be pretty similar.

Here's the diagram from the front page for the 5.8:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265289.png

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #41,675 of 48,562
The first page of this thread has a lot of helpful wiring diagrams for setting up various devices to consoles. I never had a Mixamp 5.8, but I did used to have a Mixamp Pro and Mixamp Pro 2013. Setup seems to be pretty similar.

Here's the diagram from the front page for the 5.8:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265289.png
This will only work for Xbox audio; no chat ability correct?

Dec 3, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #41,680 of 48,562
Just buy one on Amazon, Monoprice, etc. Will be way cheaper than going through Astro. If you don't have the Y-cable, you can find those on Amazone as well.
Does it have to be a special “chat-type” 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable? Any links to a cable because there seems to be a ton of them. Also, since I’ll be using my A40 headset, do I even need to use the Y split cable?

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #41,681 of 48,562
Dec 3, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #41,682 of 48,562
You still play on the xbox 360? Xbox one doesn’t need those xbox chat cables. Just a 4-pole splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DMCZQF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sDEbCb4EQZ578

No, I play on the Xbox One not the 360 anymore. I have a “4 pole splitter” Y cable like you linked but why do I need that if I’m using the Astro A40s since the audio and chat is one inline cable? My A40s have the quick disconnect cable with the mute switch that feeds by a 2.5 or 3.5 (not sure actual size) that I normally plug into the headset port on the 5.8 mixamp when used with my PS4. From what I keep reading, in order to use the 5.8 mixamp and A40s on the Xbox One S, many cables are needed in order to achieve quality sound and chat features (which many say is spotty at times). Wish I could just get a straight answer for connectivity.

Didn’t think this would be such a challenge in order to game efficiently. Starting to think I should just purchase a quality headset and another amp/dac that is both PS4 AND Xbox One S friendly. Any suggestions? I only started this post cause I got a killer deal on a Sennheiser Game One headset but seems like a daunting task just to get them setup.

Like the illustration seen here https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265289.png
Why is the y cable or 4 pole splitter cable needed if my A40s have the inline audio chat cable using the quick disconnect cable that came with my A40s? Wouldn’t I be able to plug the A40s quick disconnect cable into the 5.8 mixamp without the Y cable and then use a 2.5 to 3.5mm cable from the mixamp chat port to the Xbox One S controllers chat port? Confused

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #41,683 of 48,562
No, I play on the Xbox One not the 360 anymore. I have a “4 pole splitter” Y cable like you linked but why do I need that if I’m using the Astro A40s since the audio and chat is one inline cable? My A40s have the quick disconnect cable with the mute switch that feeds by a 2.5 or 3.5 (not sure actual size) that I normally plug into the headset port on the 5.8 mixamp when used with my PS4. From what I keep reading, in order to use the 5.8 mixamp and A40s on the Xbox One S, many cables are needed in order to achieve quality sound and chat features (which many say is spotty at times). Wish I could just get a straight answer for connectivity.

Didn’t think this would be such a challenge in order to game efficiently. Starting to think I should just purchase a quality headset and another amp/dac that is both PS4 AND Xbox One S friendly. Any suggestions? I only started this post cause I got a killer deal on a Sennheiser Game One headset but seems like a daunting task just to get them setup.

Like the illustration seen here https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265289.png
Why is the y cable or 4 pole splitter cable needed if my A40s have the inline audio chat cable using the quick disconnect cable that came with my A40s? Wouldn’t I be able to plug the A40s quick disconnect cable into the 5.8 mixamp without the Y cable and then use a 2.5 to 3.5mm cable from the mixamp chat port to the Xbox One S controllers chat port? Confused

I don't own the Mixamp but from looking at the diagram the Y-cable is for the Gameone headphone + mic cable ---> single ended 3.5 mm cable. If the Gameone lets you swap out the cable for a normal 4 pole connector you can ditch the y-splitter as you said.

The old 2.5mm to 3.5mm was for old controllers that needed the chat adapter; new ones you just can use any old 3.5mm TRRS connector. Like this one. (I don't know if just mic audio even needs TRRS, but that is the same price as the normal stereo aux cable. They're cheap...try both?)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18632

Again; not an owner, just what I would try looking at that diagram.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #41,684 of 48,562
Hooked up the G6 to my PS4 Pro for another quick test last night. Tried it via USB and also both USB & Optical. I could used the Party Chat 'Adjust Game/Chat Mix' in the PS4 software when just connected by USB but it was greyed out when connected by Optical and USB. Is this right?? If so, by connecting via USB I guess I'm missing out on Dolby Digital output?? Anything else??

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #41,685 of 48,562
I don't own mine yet, Friday is expected delivery, however when I connect my astro mixamp to ps4, the following settings are required to enable chat and game audio changeless to be separate.
In audio settings, ensure output is set to optical and 5.1 Dolby
In devices choose usb device as headset and chat audio only.
This should send chat through usb and game audio through optical to mix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back