Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 25, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #46,396 of 48,562
I'd like to ask some totally noob questions here as I've never used a microphone in-game via the in-game chat or Discord.
This is on PC, not console.

- I can use the mic in my Logitech Brio cam. Any good to filter out environment?
- Razer Seiren X better for filtering out environment?
- I could use my Penrose X but would like to do so via Bluetooth since I want to leave the stick in my Xbox. Good or bad idea? Good filtering?
- How do I connect a PC38X? my audio (both game and chat) needs to come out of a Schiit BF2 + Jot 3. So I guess I'd have to use the splitter cable and connect the mic to something else like the G6? Would this be better for sound and voice (filtering) than the Penrose X? More complicated solution?

EDIT: and what's the phones out on the Seiren X for? Only for hearing your own voice when recording or something?

As I said, big noob with microphones.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #46,398 of 48,562
Does on G6 DIRECT MODE work on consoles? (PS5). Holding scout button for 2 sec not working/
Yes, set it up on pc in the command software. It works just fine for me on ps5, but I cannot toggle it on and off with the scout button. The light indicator is not blinking, but I have tested it with different headsets and connectivity, and the 3D tempest is working with the G6. I have also used the G6 with an audio extractor and can use SBX with Dolby, which sounds better to me for a lot of games.

You should be able to get 3D tempest or SBX with the G6 on ps5, but you will have to plug it back in to the computer and use the command software to change between the two. Hope that helps a bit!

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #46,399 of 48,562
Yes, set it up on pc in the command software. It works just fine for me on ps5, but I cannot toggle it on and off with the scout button. The light indicator is not blinking, but I have tested it with different headsets and connectivity, and the 3D tempest is working with the G6. I have also used the G6 with an audio extractor and can use SBX with Dolby, which sounds better to me for a lot of games.

You should be able to get 3D tempest or SBX with the G6 on ps5, but you will have to plug it back in to the computer and use the command software to change between the two. Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks!!

So, is it right? If I want to play game (on ps5) with G6 and this game has got SONY TEMPEST 3D SOUND, I need to:
1) connect G6 to PC and in command software switch mode to DIRECT.
2) connect G6 to PS5 by USB port on PS5
3) in PS5 settings menu I need to select audio out-G6 and type of audio - PCM
4) turn off SBX button on G6

and if then I want to play game that DOES NOT have Sony’s TEMPEST 3D AUDIO i need:
1) connect G6 to PC and in command software DISABLE DIRECT MODE
2) connect G6 to TV by OPTICAL and G6 to power soccet
3) in PS5 settings menu I need to select audio out - HDMI==>AV reciver (in sub menu). 5.1 channels, and type of audio - BITSTREAM DOLBY
4) turn on SBX button on G6
5) check that DOLBY DIGITAL light on side of G6 is ON

right?:wink:

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #46,400 of 48,562

Hmm that's weird..everytime i plug my G6 into my PC to enable direct mode and i go to plug the USB back into the PS5 it powers up in scout mode?

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #46,401 of 48,562
4) turn off SBX button on G6
For 3D Tempest the steps look good for direct mode, but you shouldn’t need to turn off SBX with the button on G6 in step 4 as this was disabled in the software. Once I enable direct mode and set up the G6 on the PS5 via usb, I leave the buttons alone cause I don’t want to enable any other processing (although I haven’t had this problem, the buttons don’t seem to work in direct mode for me -I could be wrong).

If you are not using 3D Tempest, those settings look good. Be sure to choose the SBX profile you want to use and then you can toggle SBX off or on, as well as scout mode. I also still power the G6 via the ps5 with no issues over usb, just change the settings for audio and you won’t need an extra power adapter for the G6 (unless you want to power it that way).

Honestly I went back and forth for the first month between Sony 3D tempest and SBX from the G6 about every other week. I have been using 3D tempest mostly now as I feel the positional audio is slightly better for what I play. It’s also quite good in games like God of War, so I’m trying to give it a fair chance. I’ll probably go back to SBX on the G6 now that I’ve been using 3D Tempest for a good while to see if I have the same perception of the two after a longer trial of both.

Try them both and see what you like, oh and also just have fun! I’ve had a great time playing some ps4 games with the ps5 and 3D Tempest.

Hmm that's weird..everytime i plug my G6 into my PC to enable direct mode and i go to plug the USB back into the PS5 it powers up in scout mode?
I always have the scout mode light on as well, but as far as I can tell it is actually off. I don’t know why this happens

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #46,402 of 48,562
I always have the scout mode light on as well, but as far as I can tell it is actually off. I don’t know why this happens
Yeah and it's crazy how nobody talks about this at sound blasters official reddit or anywhere else for that matter. I guess I'll have to train myself to believe direct mode is on when the scout mode light is lit haha.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #46,403 of 48,562
I'd go for cheap and with a warranty in your case. I loved my Razor Earbuds. They just gave out last week after about 3 or 4 years. I'm pretty good with my equipment, but eventually the wires will always go. Personally I've switched to wireless HYPERX gaming Earbuds for the Xbox from here https://www.reviewsed.com/best-gaming-earbuds/ (pretty nice) and Wireless Plantronics RIG (very high quality sound), although I don't use the mic, I have a desk mic for that. If you were willing, I'd switch to wireless, but to each their own. They're... good. I like the mic as much as the Razer's because it's detachable and it is not fixed in place so I easily flip it up when not in use

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #46,404 of 48,562
For 3D Tempest the steps look good for direct mode, but you shouldn’t need to turn off SBX with the button on G6 in step 4 as this was disabled in the software. Once I enable direct mode and set up the G6 on the PS5 via usb, I leave the buttons alone cause I don’t want to enable any other processing (although I haven’t had this problem, the buttons don’t seem to work in direct mode for me -I could be wrong).

If you are not using 3D Tempest, those settings look good. Be sure to choose the SBX profile you want to use and then you can toggle SBX off or on, as well as scout mode. I also still power the G6 via the ps5 with no issues over usb, just change the settings for audio and you won’t need an extra power adapter for the G6 (unless you want to power it that way).

Honestly I went back and forth for the first month between Sony 3D tempest and SBX from the G6 about every other week. I have been using 3D tempest mostly now as I feel the positional audio is slightly better for what I play. It’s also quite good in games like God of War, so I’m trying to give it a fair chance. I’ll probably go back to SBX on the G6 now that I’ve been using 3D Tempest for a good while to see if I have the same perception of the two after a longer trial of both.

Try them both and see what you like, oh and also just have fun! I’ve had a great time playing some ps4 games with the ps5 and 3D Tempest.
I am wrong if I said that SONY TEMPEST 3D work only in a few games? Games that was developed with this technology. In other games TEMPEST don’t work. So it’s not like on G6, when you can just press SBX button and in all games have virtual surround sound. Tempest work only on a few games now and in more games later, but not in all games. Maybe I not right???

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #46,405 of 48,562
I am wrong if I said that SONY TEMPEST 3D work only in a few games? Games that was developed with this technology. In other games TEMPEST don’t work. So it’s not like on G6, when you can just press SBX button and in all games have virtual surround sound. Tempest work only on a few games now and in more games later, but not in all games. Maybe I not right???
Demon souls and other games, which are designed for the 3D tempest engine, will typically sound much better. However, I have read the PS5 does make use of 3D Tempest for VSS in other games as well. I could be wrong, and someone else that understands the technical side of things better should really chime in here. Maybe I am just hearing normal stereo that is quite good. From personal experience, I feel that it does work and is much better in specific PS4 games (like God of War or Shadow of the Tomb Raider), at least for what I hear. Looking forward to more games that are developed specifically with 3D Tempest in mind!

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #46,406 of 48,562
Tempest works for everything. However if a game isn't fully supported, it'll default to a generic htrf Virtual surround. It's still very good, if you got nothing else. I don't feel a pressing need to switch away from it even if a game doesn't utilize the true full tempest.

I'd like to ask some totally noob questions here as I've never used a microphone in-game via the in-game chat or Discord.
This is on PC, not console.

- I can use the mic in my Logitech Brio cam. Any good to filter out environment?

Nvdia broadcast has AI noise filtering. Works like a dream. Not sure if you need a Turing or Ampere gpu though. Like a 20 or 30 series RTX card.

As for the other stuff, not sure. You know I use the Schiit Hel for mic duties. If not, I'd probably plug in to the G6 as the mic device. You'd need a Y headset splitter. One to your amp, and the other to the mic input. Probably would need them in close vicinity.

Surry for the late reply. Headfi notifications are weird.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #46,407 of 48,562
Tempest works for everything. However if a game isn't fully supported, it'll default to a generic htrf Virtual surround. It's still very good, if you got nothing else. I don't feel a pressing need to switch away from it even if a game doesn't utilize the true full tempest.

Nvdia broadcast has AI noise filtering. Works like a dream. Not sure if you need a Turing or Ampere gpu though. Like a 20 or 30 series RTX card.

As for the other stuff, not sure. You know I use the Schiit Hel for mic duties. If not, I'd probably plug in to the G6 as the mic device. You'd need a Y headset splitter. One to your amp, and the other to the mic input. Probably would need them in close vicinity.

Thanks!
I already downloaded Nvidia Broadcast and tried it with the mic in my Logitech cam, works well.
I think I'm going to get a desktop mic to get better audio quality.
Wired phones with a mic would't allow me to use my better headphones through my Jot for games.
And the Penrose with Bluetooth isn't such a great idea as I read now in the Penrose faq. I prefer to keep the wireless dongles connected to my Xbox and PS instead of switching them to my PC all the time and getting a third Penrose seems a bit over the top. :wink:

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #46,408 of 48,562

Really? I think that Tempest 3D sound in ps5 work ONLY with special games that support 3D audio. If I am wrong it’s good)

I know that you have G6. What type of VSS are you usually using when gaming on PS5. Defaul tempest 3D and connecting G6 to USB port OR using SBX from G6 and connecting G6 to TV by optical?

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #46,409 of 48,562
Really? I think that Tempest 3D sound in ps5 work ONLY with special games that support 3D audio. If I am wrong it’s good)

I know that you have G6. What type of VSS are you usually using when gaming on PS5. Defaul tempest 3D and connecting G6 to USB port OR using SBX from G6 and connecting G6 to TV by optical?
I dunno why I thought it did. I've played some ps4 games like WZ and I THOUGHT it was working.. But I think you're right. Ratchet and Clank def sounds stereo. You got me second guessing myself on WZ and I'll have to check again. I may have scuffed the testing with the pc version.

Ah sorry guys. I'm have to check since more, but I think Tempest only works with ps5 games.
If I wasnt in a rush to work, I'd get definitive results. Gonna have to wait.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #46,410 of 48,562
Hi, I bought the audiotrak prodigy cube black edition and I am a bit disappointed with the scene of these headphones. In cs go the steps are audible, but not as much as I would like, the sound is so muffled. I also miss the possibility to denoise the microphone. There is no software in which I could change it. I have a question whether Creative G5 or G6 will be a good choice instead of this Cube? Is it better to replace the opamp in the cube? Well, unless something else is worth buying, it may be an internal sound card, any suggestions. Purpose of games only, mainly fps.

Or maybe Ae5 plus its good?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back