Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 13, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #34,532 of 48,562
I'd guess a modmic since the HD800 is dual-cable.

Feggy, yeah I read up on what Senn did to tame the 6khz peak, as well as the French DIY mod to the HD800. All very interesting. 5-8khz is the 'death zone' where a peak can just destroy ears. 8-9khz isn't much better, but more manageable. 10khz and up isn't really an issue for me unless it's stupid absurdly overpowered.

I totally understand the sense of space changing, since that's how I hear the Ether C. The warmer the tuning pad setup, the sense of air diminishes, even though soundstage is still generally the same. People can perceive it as smaller due to that tonal shift.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #34,533 of 48,562
I'd guess a modmic since the HD800 is dual-cable.

Feggy, yeah I read up on what Senn did to tame the 6khz peak, as well as the French DIY mod to the HD800. All very interesting. 5-8khz is the 'death zone' where a peak can just destroy ears. 8-9khz isn't much better, but more manageable. 10khz and up isn't really an issue for me unless it's stupid absurdly overpowered.

I totally understand the sense of space changing, since that's how I hear the Ether C. The warmer the tuning pad setup, the sense of air diminishes, even though soundstage is still generally the same. People can perceive it as smaller due to that tonal shift.

And how are those Ether C's treating you? :D
I think I sorta prefer the ether sound, but the ether C is so damn awesome looking and has SLIGHTLY more sub bass... and unless I'm crazy slightly more extended soundstage?

I mean, more crazy than my usual way.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #34,534 of 48,562
Soundstage is definitely a highlight. But the most special aspect on the Ether C is the imaging.

I've finished the rough draft of the review, so the next few days I'll be adding/omitting/general editing before posting. I'm sure the review will tell you how great I think the Ether C is, lol.

As for sub bass and all that, you also gotta remember about the tuning kit. Those pads really bring out general bass to lower midrange. On the warmest tuning kit setup (aka LCD2 lite), Sub bass immersion is amazing, despite it not actually being emphasized in the simplest term. Mid bass is pretty controlled, and not heavy, which I find to be favorable. I've always been more a fan of sub bass. Mid bass is nice once in awhile, but I don't 'need' it the same way.

Doesn't have the raw LCD2 energy and impact, but has a likeness to it, IIRC.

Anyways, I'd like the hear the Ether at some point, but I'm seriously not in a hurry to review anything, if at all anymore. I did this because I was recommend by Still, but I was on the fence. I mean, i LOVE listening to headphones. I'm just tired of writing reviews.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #34,535 of 48,562
Damn... Still can't decide. I've looked into this the whole weekend and there is at least one issue for each of the models I've selected.

HD598: apparently there is almost no bass?
DT990: apparently the trebles are really tiresome.
DT880: apparently it has issues with virtual headphones, rear sound does not work that weel.
K702: same issue as for the HD598.

So back to the point where I do not know what to do. Maybe the K612 Pro could be the solution...

Else do you know if the bass issue of K702 or HD598 be solved with some EQ ? I do not want something with constant basses but I would like to hear them at least :s

Or maybe do you know any other model which could fit the bill: open, best sound quality without sacrificing bass and preferably with a detachable cable.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #34,536 of 48,562
That sounds like an X2 to me.

No headphone is perfect. You always gotta give and take.

Try the K7XX perhaps. If it's anything like the K702 Anniversary, then you're covered very well. It's not on the guide because I haven't tested that variant though I have heard from plenty of others that it is very much a K702 Annie/K712 or something in between, both which will suit you well, with the K7XX being much cheaper.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #34,537 of 48,562
That sounds like an X2 to me.

No headphone is perfect. You always gotta give and take.

Try the K7XX perhaps. If it's anything like the K702 Anniversary, then you're covered very well. It's not on the guide because I haven't tested that variant though I have heard from plenty of others that it is very much a K702 Annie/K712 or something in between, both which will suit you well, with the K7XX being much cheaper.

Unfortunately the AKG K7XX is not available in Europe :frowning2:
I totally forgot about the Fidelio X2, I'll give them a look. Thanks!

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #34,540 of 48,562
I'm in a rut. I got a mix amp pro and X1 based on this thread a year or so ago. Decided to try wireless so sold my stuf and got the Sony HW700DS. Was ok but keep getting interference and stuff.

Now I'm torn between the following. I'll get another Mixamp pro as I feel they are decent and I don't have a separate amp currently.

My contender are. X2 purely as X1 was my first decent phones and I liked them. DT990 a lot cheaper than I remembered. AKG K712 highly rated but I don't have separate amp currently.

Q701 Quincy signatures purely for looks

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #34,541 of 48,562
  Damn... Still can't decide. I've looked into this the whole weekend and there is at least one issue for each of the models I've selected.

DT990: apparently the trebles are really tiresome.
DT880: apparently it has issues with virtual headphones, rear sound does not work that weel.
K702: same issue as for the HD598.

So back to the point where I do not know what to do. Maybe the K612 Pro could be the solution...

Else do you know if the bass issue of K702 or HD598 be solved with some EQ ? I do not want something with constant basses but I would like to hear them at least :s

Or maybe do you know any other model which could fit the bill: open, best sound quality without sacrificing bass and preferably with a detachable cable.

HD598 for me has plenty of bass, not as much as my X2's but its there and you will notice it just not EDMOMGDATBASSYO....

K702 dont own it but own the K7XX and honestly, the HD598 still has more bass presence.

Its really hard to describe the exact amount of bass using just words. Thats why you buy headphones from a place with a good return policy to see which one you like the most.

So the order I would put those 3 headphones I described in terms of bass, from more bass to less bass are: X2's (I know thats not on your list but can be close to the DT990 but not really) HD598 and then K7XX (thought the bass from the K7XX is still good its just faster)

as to the DT990, I only own Custom One Pro's which is a close back, so I wouldn't really give you an exact or close description of the bass. But from reading some of the descriptions and comments on the DT990, it seems to have pronounce yet faster bass which could mean have less bass than the X2.

you mention the K612 and that could possibly be the better solution for you and could be sounding close to the HD598, bass wise of course not the whole sound signature.

This is just my opinion since everyone's ears differ and set up is different than other as well.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #34,542 of 48,562

im listening some music right now on my mac with the FiiO E07K and the HD598,damn HD598 has plenty of bass
basshead.gif
when i get them a few weeks ago i thought the HD598 has no bass,i was wrong
confused_face.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #34,543 of 48,562
Aw, crap. I think I just instantly blew my MMX 300's left driver after accidentally leaving the system volume at 100. This was just after a proper recabling, too.

I don't think I need to explain how pissed off I am at the prospect of having to track down another MMX 300/DT770 32-ohm driver and baffle to get this thing fully working once again. It might not even be cost-effective at all compared to just buying a used DT770 and transplanting the drivers.

Meanwhile, I should have a Sennheiser PC360 I found for a stupidly low price by next week. That one might require a recabling as well, but hey, not like I haven't done that before. Then I'll have a good impression of both like I always wanted.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #34,544 of 48,562
Aw, crap. I think I just instantly blew my MMX 300's left driver after accidentally leaving the system volume at 100. This was just after a proper recabling, too.

I don't think I need to explain how pissed off I am at the prospect of having to track down another MMX 300/DT770 32-ohm driver and baffle to get this thing fully working once again. It might not even be cost-effective at all compared to just buying a used DT770 and transplanting the drivers.

Meanwhile, I should have a Sennheiser PC360 I found for a stupidly low price by next week. That one might require a recabling as well, but hey, not like I haven't done that before. Then I'll have a good impression of both like I always wanted.

I'm actually going to sell my mmx 300 pretty soon now that my k7xx is coming. Might be a day or two though before I put anything up. Though, it'll probably be priced above A used dt770.

Anyway, the hd598 is usually known as lacking bass because a lot of people don't think it requires as much amplification as it does. It has a huge impedance swing in the bass region, and needs a bit of amping to bring that out.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #34,545 of 48,562

Won't this solve the problem?
  im listening some music right now on my mac with the FiiO E07K and the HD598,damn HD598 has plenty of bass
basshead.gif
when i get them a few weeks ago i thought the HD598 has no bass,i was wrong
confused_face.gif

It's not that HD598 has no bass, it just doesn't have as much of it. It sounds perfectly fine for music genres that don't require much bass. However for stuff that sounds good only with gobs of bass (dubstep, powerviolence, grindcore) it's decent at best. Guys over at the HD598 thread claim that swapping the cable for a better one will bring out more bass out of that headphone.
btw, dod You do the soundstage mod already? If yes, post some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back