Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #34,561 of 48,568
Not sure I'd go Tesla. The ones I've heard have been pretty... polarizing to say the least.

I agree, they are the worst unfortunately. I'd take a Manufaktur ALL BLACK DT990 600 over any Tesla and I heard them all. Tesla was rushed back then to counter the HD 800 but until this day Beyer is technically inferior. They still rely on the glory of the DT990/880/770. At least they get good sales through them. 

If you get a T1 and dampen it properly then ok. That one wasn't bad but it's still heavily overpriced for what it does and can. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #34,562 of 48,568
Where the DT990 has maybe a 9-10khz peak that may be problematic to many, that is easy to zone in and eq down. The Teslas feel like they have multiple ear shattering zones of sibilance and shrillness that make it hard to recommend unless yoiu absolute need it for high detail. The portable Tesla I reviewed was quite good and a lot less killer on the ears sonically, but even that I'd go for something else for the price. I dunno. I think my love of Beyer has waned a bit.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #34,563 of 48,568
Where the DT990 has maybe a 9-10khz peak that may be problematic to many, that is easy to zone in and eq down. The Teslas feel like they have multiple ear shattering zones of sibilance and shrillness that make it hard to recommend unless yoiu absolute need it for high detail. The portable Tesla I reviewed was quite good and a lot less killer on the ears sonically, but even that I'd go for something else for the price. I dunno. I think my love of Beyer has waned a bit.

I have the DT1770 with me since last September. I hate sibilance myself, but I love this headphone a lot. It acts very balanced and has brightness without going too far.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #34,564 of 48,568
So I just got the sound blaster Zx.  I am looking for a good pair of headphones to go along with them.  I am looking at sennheiser hd 558, 598 or 600.  I have a bluetooth set I use for general listening at the office through my phone so need to worry about driving them on the phone.  Will be playing WoW, BF4, Final Fantasy 14 as well as some communication (already have an external mic).  

I am new to this so I can't really say that I have a specific preference on sound yet.  I can say that very high treble like in bose headphones overtime starts to wear on my ears as well as bass.  So I guess something a bit more neutral.

Would the 600 need a different amp/dac considering the sound blaster Zx already has all that built in?  Or would one of the others be better.

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #34,565 of 48,568
Hi,

Looking for gear recommendation for headphone immersive gaming 3d/2d and music. Would greatly appreciate help.
Would love to keep decent positioning and better music experience when switching to nongaming headset.

Currently my PC:
X-Fi titanium pcie >> amp: C&C BH (temporary) analogue 3.5mm >> Bayerdynamic custom one plus (16 Ohms) 
+ V-moda boompro mic when arrives
Win10, danielk drivers

Recommendations for my PC:
X-Fi titanium pcie needs changing into anything more modern? Should I just get SB X7 for those headphones without any amps to gain quality and keep virtual surround?
Amp or no amp? O2, shiit magni/asgaard2/bifrost seem to be most common
Using TOSLink from X-Fi or keep analogue?
Any other closed headphones compatible with v-moda mic? (Alpha Dog seems overkill)
Do I need anything else?

My current impressions and budget
Sound on my headphones seems better with my AMP, I am looking for alternative though (noise while charging):
I have another 500 usd to complete setup, I can return bayerdynamic headphones but couldn't find closed headphone option out of linked choices.
For reference my portable listening:
I have c&c bh amp
And IEM 'custom art music one' which are amazing but hard to remove and for gaming would prefer closed cans.
This amp though is noisy when charging and not sure if good fit for computer setup and virtual 5.1/7.1 as described in guide

So far what I found out by digging through 235 pages of Nameless thread:
Build-in amp in SB X-Fi PCIE would be enough for 16 Ohms headphones
Also X7 might be interesting option without any other elements in chain

regards,
Any help would be appreciated.

p.s.
removed all links due to post limitation

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #34,566 of 48,568
I have finally made a decision and the purchases to go with them.  AKG K712 Pro + Schiit Magni/Modi stack.  I am going to see how I find this for stereo gaming before I get a Mixamp, as I have a feeling I may not miss the DSS. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #34,567 of 48,568
  Hi,

Looking for gear recommendation for headphone immersive gaming 3d/2d and music. Would greatly appreciate help.
Would love to keep decent positioning and better music experience when switching to nongaming headset.

Currently my PC:
X-Fi titanium pcie >> amp: C&C BH (temporary) analogue 3.5mm >> Bayerdynamic custom one plus (16 Ohms) 
+ V-moda boompro mic when arrives
Win10, danielk drivers

Recommendations for my PC:
X-Fi titanium pcie needs changing into anything more modern? Should I just get SB X7 for those headphones without any amps to gain quality and keep virtual surround?
Amp or no amp? O2, shiit magni/asgaard2/bifrost seem to be most common
Using TOSLink from X-Fi or keep analogue?
Any other closed headphones compatible with v-moda mic? (Alpha Dog seems overkill)
Do I need anything else?

My current impressions and budget
Sound on my headphones seems better with my AMP, I am looking for alternative though (noise while charging):
I have another 500 usd to complete setup, I can return bayerdynamic headphones but couldn't find closed headphone option out of linked choices.
For reference my portable listening:
I have c&c bh amp
And IEM 'custom art music one' which are amazing but hard to remove and for gaming would prefer closed cans.
This amp though is noisy when charging and not sure if good fit for computer setup and virtual 5.1/7.1 as described in guide

So far what I found out by digging through 235 pages of Nameless thread:
Build-in amp in SB X-Fi PCIE would be enough for 16 Ohms headphones
Also X7 might be interesting option without any other elements in chain

regards,
Any help would be appreciated.

p.s.
removed all links due to post limitation

The MSR7 is a great headphone with a 3.5mm connector that can work with the VModa boom mic. It's a better balance for gaming than the Custom One's IMHO.

Honestly though, I wouldn't use a boom mic with a PC. I'd say get a blue snowball for $40 or a blue yeti if you can find one awesomely cheap (like the one I'm selling atm.)

My recommendation, since you're on PC, is to get a Soundblaster G5 and a Magni 2/u. You can use the line out of the G5 to the Magni and still have the DSP's benefits. Not only that, but the G5 can also act as a portable device. That will cost about ~250 to 300 depending on if you buy it used or not.

From there, you can get a MSR7 for $200 and be set. There's also the ZMF Classics if you want to go down the planar route (but they're $300.)

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #34,568 of 48,568

The MSR7 is a great headphone with a 3.5mm connector that can work with the VModa boom mic. It's a better balance for gaming than the Custom One's IMHO.

Honestly though, I wouldn't use a boom mic with a PC. I'd say get a blue snowball for $40 or a blue yeti if you can find one awesomely cheap (like the one I'm selling atm.)

My recommendation, since you're on PC, is to get a Soundblaster G5 and a Magni 2/u. You can use the line out of the G5 to the Magni and still have the DSP's benefits. Not only that, but the G5 can also act as a portable device. That will cost about ~250 to 300 depending on if you buy it used or not.

From there, you can get a MSR7 for $200 and be set. There's also the ZMF Classics if you want to go down the planar route (but they're $300.)

Thanks for quick reply. 

ATH-MSR7
+ I must admit ATH-MSR7 look really nice visually
+ I checked review and they should sound nice as well 
- 30% price premium in my country over custom one pro plus :frowning2:
- not even one mention in whole of PC gaming thread which makes it hard to compare positioning aspect
- semi-open, I have strong preference for closed due to isolation (as well for person sitting next to me)

For mic options for desk mic I have blue yeti pro/snowflake already figured out (for different purposes than gaming tbh).

SB G5 looks like portable, will look more into that (would choose x7 over this just for looks - G5 would be hidden at all time though).

Would that setup work through TOSLINK as well?

regards,
Robert

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #34,569 of 48,568

Thanks for quick reply. 

ATH-MSR7
+ I must admit ATH-MSR7 look really nice visually
+ I checked review and they should sound nice as well 
- 30% price premium in my country over custom one pro plus :frowning2:
- not even one mention in whole of PC gaming thread which makes it hard to compare positioning aspect
- semi-open, I have strong preference for closed due to isolation (as well for person sitting next to me)

For mic options for desk mic I have blue yeti pro/snowflake already figured out (for different purposes than gaming tbh).

SB G5 looks like portable, will look more into that (would choose x7 over this just for looks - G5 would be hidden at all time though).

Would that setup work through TOSLINK as well?

regards,
Robert

Audiotechnica does very well with positioning usually. There are some exceptions, but this is not one of them. Even though it is semi-open, it seals as well as a closed back from how it measured on innerfidelity. Most headphones actually do well with this, with the exception of some like the DT880 that have an issue with the cups reflecting things.

The G5 setup would work over toslink, allowing you to use a different dac if you wanted to. The X7, however, cannot transfer anything from the SBX over TOSLINK or line out, so you have to use its amplifier. However, it's DAC/AMP are slightly better than the Modi2u/Magni2u, so that's pretty nice.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #34,571 of 48,568
Yo, small feedback concerning the dt990. Just listened to some tracks so this is not a definitive opinion. I really like them, they are quiet comfortable and this is the signature that i was looking for. Didn't test in any game yet so I won't say anything about gaming .

As for the trebles I do not find them too hard, maybe it's the Sound Blaster E5 which has some rolloff with those frequencies?

Last thing, if I set the E5 on high gain I cant put the volume higher than 10% else it will blow my ears. I find it quiet weird :s

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #34,572 of 48,568
hey guys, i know im being that jack ass that doesnt read all the comments but man theres a lot and i have found that the more i read the more i end up at square one.
basically im a console gamer (xbox one) and i remember the day i got my turtle beach x41's my got it was glorious, every footstep, reading the review on the sound baster x7 sounds like it delivers the same result but that is quite a price tag and im hoping its a bit overkill for console gaming. im just so overloaded with information atm im at my wits end and about to say stuff it all im just gonna buy astro a50s.

can anyone give me a straight answer
for xbox one gaming what is the best set up for immersive gaming on a $500 budget, it can be pushed slightly.

thanks heaps for anyone that chimes in and i know im asking a headslapper question im sorry ! haha

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #34,573 of 48,568
  hi guys i found this thread about gaming headphones,worth taking a look  https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3tu9gl/guide_headphones_gaming/

Zeos has odd opinions and his recommendations are often questionable. He use to hang out on the headphones subreddit and make recommendations with amazon links to his affiliated store dealio to make money off of it. When he got banned from said subreddit for it, but bitched enough to get unbanned and make his own subreddit.

HE also, more or less, believes the AT M50x is a neutral headphone and the ODAC is perfect (and that the Bifrost MB is no different from the ODAC.) Sooo take **** he says with a large grain of salt. He usually has no idea what he's talking about, or is trying to make money off you.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #34,574 of 48,568

Zeos has odd opinions and his recommendations are often questionable. He use to hang out on the headphones subreddit and make recommendations with amazon links to his affiliated store dealio to make money off of it. When he got banned from said subreddit for it, but bitched enough to get unbanned and make his own subreddit.

HE also, more or less, believes the AT M50x is a neutral headphone and the ODAC is perfect (and that the Bifrost MB is no different from the ODAC.) Sooo take **** he says with a large grain of salt. He usually has no idea what he's talking about, or is trying to make money off you.

ahh ok!!thank you for letting me know about this guy.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #34,575 of 48,568

That is a really simplified dismissal of a dude that's probably touched more gear then anyone here.  I don't agree with all of Zeo's reviews but I have no doubt at all that he reports what he hears.  Which is a whole lot better then a lot of the powers that be even on places like Head-Fi.  

Dude isn't making any money of 20k youtube subs and amazon affiliate links.  Trust me on that.  Also he hates the M50s and his review is a bit more nuanced then that.  

The fact of the matter is that unless you are using extremely expensive gear it's not all that likely you are going to hear any difference between any Schiit DAC and the ODAC.  Why do you think DAC reviews are so nebulous in the first place.  They measure past the point of being audible and any differences you do hear more then likely are from the analog stage anyway.

Anyway I respect him for the same reason I respect MLE.  I feel comfortable knowing he reports exactly what he hears and I know he's used a lot of gear.  Not much more you can ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back