Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 29, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #47,988 of 48,562
Sadly that's the unfortunate part of our space: the number of boom cables are limited and only work for a few specific terminations. The primary dual-entry cables that I know of are Audeze's and ZMF's, both mini-XLR. For single-entry there are several more options but that also has a significantly reduced pool of headphones. Most cables with built-in mics will be using those super compact in-line mics. Specifically requiring a boom will severely limit the available options.

Years ago I had someone make me a cable that accepted stereo 3.5mm TRS and split it out into Left and Right cables for use with the MrSpeakers Hirose connector. It was far from an elegant solution and it had some issues like a huge lead for the right cup and practically no distance from the splitter to the left cup (think of the old asymmetrical y style IEM cables), but it functioned. You could consider something like that. I used my custom adapter with the V-MODA Boom Pro.

You could always go basic: a clip-on mic and any headphones you want with the Hel.

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #47,993 of 48,562
Thanks, I'd think with the access to a wide array of products you must have and hearing that the Hel works well with your HD800 says a lot.
I assume (hate to assume), there may be a better pairing you've come across?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #47,994 of 48,562
Well, there are plenty of better pairings for music with my 800, but the Hel is one of the simplest/most convenient options I've come across for the PS5 so that's what I use when I need headphones on my console. I've also done PS5 > Atom DAC > Gilmore Lite MKII and I found that to be a better system for the HD 800 than the Hel, of course at a significantly higher price. I dunno about the Hel/Arya Stealth combo specifically, but it's one I wouldn't be worried about pairing together. Both devices have a ton of pros to them. And I have a clip-on mic that I attach to the cable for use with any headphone where I don't have access to a boom mic.

More often than not I end up using a pair of closed beyerdynamics for gaming on the PS5 so I can block out the sounds of the neighborhood. Which reminds me, I recall seeing a single-entry mini-XLR boom mic cable in the past, maybe I should look into that for home use.

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #47,998 of 48,562
Years ago I had someone make me a cable that accepted stereo 3.5mm TRS and split it out into Left and Right cables for use with the MrSpeakers Hirose connector. It was far from an elegant solution and it had some issues like a huge lead for the right cup and practically no distance from the splitter to the left cup (think of the old asymmetrical y style IEM cables), but it functioned. You could consider something like that. I used my custom adapter with the V-MODA Boom Pro.
In a crazy turn of coincidence, I happened across this adapter last night while reorganizing my home office. I've since sold my MrSpeakers/DCA headphones, but I may have to borrow one from the office for old time's sake now. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. :p I'll grab a photo of the adapter and send it along later.

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #47,999 of 48,562
I'd given up on wireless (really want better sound) and want the "best" sound (wide stage, great details, not lacking in bass/treble/highs), in a small footprint of a setup. I am looking at dacs that have mic inputs.

Anyone here have or have thoughts on this setup mainly for gaming (I am sure I will be doing music or movies with this):
  • Hifiman Arya Stealth Edition
  • Audeze Boom Mic Cable
  • Schiit Hel 2E
Thanks,
Eric

I use a Burson Playmate 2 with the v6 vivid opamp upgrade, I think that would be a decent step up from the Hel, although I've read a lot of good things about the Hel.

For a mic I use an Antlion ModMic wired version.

Headphones I use Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire.

Fairly small footprint, great sound quality, and very comfortable. Just some other options compared to your list. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back