Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 3, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #43,849 of 48,563
Why in the forum Noone doesn't help me?
As I said my brother is looking for headphones for gaming in 400 euros max

We saw the mobius and we are asking if mobius are very good for GAMIng

In the budget of 400 euros to buy mobius for gaming? Or are better choices in that money?

I don't understand why Noone doesn't help us in our posts

What choices we have in the budget of 400 euros max?

Is it worth to buy mobius for gaming?

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #43,850 of 48,563
Nobody in here likes lazy questions and having them spammed into the inbox. In all these days you could have done your own research, read through reviews and impressions, yet here you are, lazy and entitled as ever.

You could at least have singled out a few headphones and asked for decisive qualities for each headphone over the others and then decided to either loan 1-2 or go for the buy. That way you'd learn to help yourself and help others to give more on point advice.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #43,851 of 48,563
The review of the Mobius tells you everything you need to know. Why would anyone answer you when the answer is already in the review?

You just need someone to outright tell you what to buy? BUY THE MOBIUS. ITS GOOD FOR GAMING. OR BUY THE MANY HEADPHONES ON THE GUIDE THAT ARE GOOD FOR GAMING.

Its such an overly general question that takes a second on YOUR part to find the answer for on the first page.

This is why I don't answer such questions. People don't want to read and just want to be told what to get with no context, no logic, and no information to narrow down the use case.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #43,852 of 48,563
Hey i am just curious if someone would buy an amp/dac like the Schiit Hel Gaming, but still want to use VSS. What would you recommend?
I hear mix things about Dolby Atmos since its not really used in many games?
Also would the Schiit Hel work better with a software VSS or something like the GSX1000

thanks
MLE's position on Atmos for headphones and DTS Headphone X is well known and has been stated many times. They don't work well for him when applied to standard 5.1 and 7.1. He has however said some good things about games with native Atmos mixes. If you want to see others' opinions then type Atmos into the thread search box or if its a particular user whose opinon you want then check their post history from their profile. You can do the same for the Hel as this was discussed at length when MLE did his Hel review.

But while we're here, I'll sum up. Use the equipment you already have first to determine whether Atmos, DTS, Boom 3D, Hesuvi or whatever other software VSS works well for you. If you find one (or more than one) that does then it's time to consider getting the Hel or another stereo input only dac/amp.
The Hel has excellent components and performance by all accounts so whether Atmos for headphone or whatever other software VSS solutions work well with it will be down to your own HRTF compatibility with the VSS in question and the headphones you are using rather than the Hel itself.

As for GSX1000, not ideal to run it into the Hel because, IIRC, MLE said it can't push GSX VSS out of the speaker line-out meaning you would have to double-amp from the unit's headphone- out to the Hel's line-in.
If you want an endpoint dac/amp that you can pair with other hardware based VSS units, it's best to get one with optical in and accordingly, you would also want the original source dac/amp to be able to push VSS out of its speaker line-out, again, preferably via optical out.

Mayflower Arc version 2 is one option for the former. It's more expensive than the Hel but has some advantages in that it offers optical-in, has an optional bass boost feature and the wall wart for power supply is optional, not mandatory (i.e. you can use it if you want to drive particularly power hungry cans but in most scenarios usb power-only should be fine).

Here is one opinion via a three-way comparison of the two along with the Fulla by Brian Phillips aka Badseed Tech:

As for gaming dac/amps that can push VSS out of optical, the only ones that I know of are Creative's SBX capable dac/amps like the G6 and X7 and for most headphones, they'd be more than enough by themselves anyway without a need for anything else like the Hel or the Arc (law of diminishing returns and all that). There are also the Smyth Realisers but they are a whole 'nother level of price and complexity and again, as with the G6 and X7, you likely wouldn't be needing an additional endpoint gaming dac/amp in that instance.

As always, it's best to buy whatever products are competing for your interest from a no quibble return/refund friendly vendor so that you can directly compare them yourself and return the one(s) you don't want. To reiterate though, it would be better for you to first work out whether Atmos/DTS/Boom 3D/ Hesuvi etc. work well for you on the hardware and headphones you have to hand before committing to purchase of any stereo only gaming dac/amps.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #43,853 of 48,563
I forget, I have to check out Boom3D. My mind is all over the place atm as I'm dealing with a LOT, and keep forgetting. Mind pm-ing me the details? That way I won't forget.

@SierraMadre

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #43,855 of 48,563
Sure, gimme a sec.
Having just wrapped up the Panda review, and being off the next few days, figure I'd have a little time to test Boom3D out. Felt like replaying HL2 after so many years, so it's a good time to test things.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #43,856 of 48,563
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #43,857 of 48,563
Having just wrapped up the Panda review, and being off the next few days, figure I'd have a little time to test Boom3D out. Felt like replaying HL2 after so many years, so it's a good time to test things.
DM sent.

Posting links below in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

https://www.globaldelight.com/boom/
30 day free trial. Also available on Steam for those that prefer.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #43,858 of 48,563
Does boom3d downmix game surround sound into HRTF stereo for headphones just like Dolby atmos for headphones and DTS:X? They don't explicitly state that in the description. Or does it apply its own layer of virtual surround sound on top?

Is the search function within the thread working? No matter what i key in, it gives no results.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #43,859 of 48,563
Does boom3d downmix game surround sound into HRTF stereo for headphones just like Dolby atmos for headphones and DTS:X? They don't explicitly state that in the description. Or does it apply its own layer of virtual surround sound on top?

Is the search function within the thread working? No matter what i key in, it gives no results.

Which do you think is more ideal? I'd gather probably downmixing because then it can be sent to everything?

And yeah, Headfi is a mess right now, so I'm sure some things don't work as they should.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #43,860 of 48,563
Why in the forum Noone doesn't help me?
As I said my brother is looking for headphones for gaming in 400 euros max

We saw the mobius and we are asking if mobius are very good for GAMIng

In the budget of 400 euros to buy mobius for gaming? Or are better choices in that money?

I don't understand why Noone doesn't help us in our posts

What choices we have in the budget of 400 euros max?

Is it worth to buy mobius for gaming?
Dude, you need to ease up.

Like I already told you in the response to your DM that you sent me asking the very same questions:

- Yes they are good headphones for gaming

- "Good" is subjective. Not everything works for everybody all the time. Try before you buy or at least get them from somewhere you can return/refund

- If you want further opinions and thoughts do a search for "Mobius" in the thread's search box or go to a user's profile and search their post history for Mobius or the SoundBlaster AE9 etc. from there.

- Be patient when asking questions and know that not every question will be answered in the way / detail you may want it to be because as previously mentioned, headphone user experience and virtual surround preferences differ between users.

You've made 11 posts in 24 hours about the same two topics, Mobius and the Sound Blaster AE cards. Nobody likes it when a user spams those same 2 questions over and over again and then acts aggrieved and entitled just because the answers received were not as swift or in-depth as you desired.

This is a fan community thread, not a professional retail advice service. None of us are getting paid here and nobody owes you the type of answer you want let alone any kind of urgent reply within hours.

Which do you think is more ideal? I'd gather probably downmixing because then it can be sent to everything?

And yeah, Headfi is a mess right now, so I'm sure some things don't work as they should.
I've wondered about this too. You specify the audio source device to piggy back off in the Boom app and it creates a virtual audio device in the audio device listings. There is no channel configuration in the app in the traditional sense a la say, Creative's stuff, but you can set the source device cannel config to 7.1 in the Windows Sound manager control panel.
Additionally, what you can do in the Boom app is test individual virtual channels, via linking an audio file, turning channels individually on and off etc. The virtual surround graphic/diagram always appears to be a 7.1 setup.

Back when I first got Boom, I actually contacted their customer support and asked about it with reference to the channel config setting of the source device in the Windows Sound manager settings in very specific and idiot proof terms. They said to set the source device to stereo but I got the impression that the CSA probably didn't know what I was talking about. I just leave source device set to 7.1. I tried it briefly set to 2 channel stereo and didn't notice much in the way of immediate difference so maybe it works like Atmos and DTS and tells Windows its a 7.1 device automatically and overrides the source device channel config setting in the Windows sound manager.

Either way, it definitely sounds to me like it's processing games' multichannel audio track and providing a more spherical virtual surround field as opposed to just artificially widening a 2 channel stereo source track. I set any in-game audio speaker settings to multichannel where possible too of course.

EDIT: Ah you perhaps mean is the final output form of Boom VSS in a 2 channel stereo signal? Yes. If your source device that Boom latches onto offers passthrough via line-out or optical out then yes, you should be able to send it on to your endpoint dac, amp or dac/amp of choice for output to headphones.

Limitations

No headphone compensation profiles for anything other than Windows Surface headphones. You can however set generic profiles (on-ear, over-ear, iems etc.) and interestingly, it also has profiles for surround over stereo or less-than-5.2 speakers. If you want to set headphone specific compensation profiles though, you'll need to use an intermediary program like Equaliser APO's AutoEq, DIY EQ or some kind of analogue substitute.
I don't think Sonarwork's Tru-fi would work here as IIRC, Tru-fi creates its own virtual audio device in the Windows device listing too, and I don't think you can set the already virtual device that is Boom as the source device for an endpoint virtual device that would be Tru-fi.

Re: search fuction

Working on and off. Tried searching this thread for Mobius references 4 times, worked twice, nothing the other times.

Found something else called Audio Royale. Never heard about it.

https://getaudioroyale.com
I think I've heard the name before on one of those numbered lists that e-publications like to do quite often. Haven't heard it in action though.

By that token, just found this in a Windowsreport.com audio enhancer software recommendation list, lol.

soundpimp.com/computer-audio-enhancer-demo/

https://windowsreport.com/best-audio-enhancers-windows-10/
Amusing name aside, it's something I haven't come across before in a software-only package separate from a speaker or soundbar hardware, a standalone software VSS solution designed and marketed only for speakers with headphone application discouraged.
Not currently in an environment where I can try it out on speakers though but I'll probably give it a try at some point the next few days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back