Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #43,546 of 48,562
Oh? I thought it was all about the HEL being a ‘significant upgrade in audio’ over the G6. . .? Now it’s about the mic input?

If you’re going to claim the increased power makes the HEL worth getting instead of or on top of the G6 then how does the same not apply to the Arc 2which has very similar audio specs to the Hel? But ok, superior mic input. . . That is indeed an advantage. But fact remains it has no optical, doesn’t work with either console anyway and wall wart is mandatory rather than optional. Those may be negligible considerations for you, doesn’t necessarily mean that has to be the case for everybody else.

Accordingly while the G6 instead of the HEL (and instead of the Ark too) is enough for me personally - and I stand by that - I don’t necessarily expect or require that to be the case for everybody else. I wasn’t presenting it as a must have, I simply asked if anybody had tried it and observed that it had some of the things MLE had lamented the absence of in the HEL.The way you’re trying to finesse the comparison in favour of the HEL so that anything the HEL lacks in comparison is pointless anyway while anything the Arc 2 lacks is significant worthwhile suggests your eagerness to dismiss the mere suggestion of it has more to do with one unit being Schiit and the other not. . .
No, Hel was always about the superior mic input. It's the Asgard 3 that brings increased power output.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #43,547 of 48,562
So for pure fps comp.
I don't like the metrics they have for stuff like soundstage. You can't just put a number to something like that.

I love rtings for their tv stuff. Not so much for the audio. So much of audio is utterly subjective, and these data points don't amount to much.

But measures like that are OK? In this case k712 had much more soundstage than hd800s?https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#327/3196/290
Which cans have "biggest" soundstage in games?

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #43,548 of 48,562
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #43,549 of 48,562
GSP 670 update.

I noticed the audible hiss goes away the moment I turn off my Xbox controller. Oh Sennheiser why didn't you go with 5.8Ghz?

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #43,550 of 48,562
You can’t measure soundstage because of how subjective it is. K712 aren’t nearly as wide and surrounding as the hd 800. You shouldn’t be spending $1000 on a headphone for just gaming anyways.
I don't have any other cans right now. Both can be equalized well for music, but I mostly play anyway. I wanted to know if k712 are close in terms of soundstage/surround compared to hd800.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #43,551 of 48,562
GSP 670 update.

I noticed the audible hiss goes away the moment I turn off my Xbox controller. Oh Sennheiser why didn't you go with 5.8Ghz?

This isn't totally related, so take it for whatever it is worth.

I have the official PlayStation wall charger that works with the Dualshock 3 and 4. I typically always have it plugged in charging my controllers as I am gaming. The only reason I would ever have the headset plugged into the controller and not my dac. Is to use the microphone. What I noticed one day, as my Dualshock 4 was plugged into the charger. Whenever I went to calibrate my microphone, there was a humming noise. It went away as soon as I unplugged the controller from the charger. I guess it's best to always have a couple extra controllers on standby. Since batteries never hold charge very long.

As for your problem. Is the only workaround to buy a different headset?

Dec 25, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #43,552 of 48,562
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the G6 sound blaster for my PS4/music listening. It's on sale for $129.00 right now on amazon. I'll be switching this for my Astro mix amp. (I have both the older orange bottom version and the crappy VSS sounding to me at least, TR edition.) I'll be using my 80ohm DT770s, 80ohm Vokyl Erupts and my Phillips SHP9500s. If anyone has any tips or tricks they would like to share please do so.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #43,553 of 48,562
Well, I bit the bullet and bought the G6 sound blaster for my PS4/music listening. It's on sale for $129.00 right now on amazon. I'll be switching this for my Astro mix amp. (I have both the older orange bottom version and the crappy VSS sounding to me at least, TR edition.) I'll be using my 80ohm DT770s, 80ohm Vokyl Erupts and my Phillips SHP9500s. If anyone has any tips or tricks they would like to share please do so.
Make sure you have a PC nearby so you can change some settings that can only be done there. So download the G6 software, as well as update all the firmware and drivers for the G6 once you have it.

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #43,554 of 48,562
I mainly game on PC and was looking for an amp/dac that allows me to simultaneously plug in my phone so I can listen to podcasts and music, or take phone calls in middle of games. The big three now appears to be Mix amp pro TR, Hel and G6. From what I understand after reading some of the impressions on here, the mixamp is the weakest sounding of the bunch but is the only one that allows two sources to be used at the same time right? Are there other amp/dacs with this functionality, short of me buying an actual mixer? @Mad Lust Envy

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #43,557 of 48,562
Man am I depressed. Just got my Sparkos opamps today for a Christmas present for my X7, put them in and was EXTREMELY impressed by the swap.... then few hours later an electrical short in the garage (accident caused by neighbors and welding) fries my window AC unit and my X7 (only thing on that circuit).

I really don't want to get another X7 as it's only "5.1", but don't really want to use my Omni or Astro Mixamp either, but the only reason I had the X7 was I got a good deal on it and it worked for both Consoles and PC without multiple devices (to play PC Multi-channel music while playing Console games).
Is the G6 the only other device that works with both PC and Consoles via Optical?

Got the acquisition syndrome and needing something "new" to hold me over until we get some HDMI-In devices.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #43,558 of 48,562
Man am I depressed. Just got my Sparkos opamps today for a Christmas present for my X7, put them in and was EXTREMELY impressed by the swap.... then few hours later an electrical short in the garage (accident caused by neighbors and welding) fries my window AC unit and my X7 (only thing on that circuit).

I really don't want to get another X7 as it's only "5.1", but don't really want to use my Omni or Astro Mixamp either, but the only reason I had the X7 was I got a good deal on it and it worked for both Consoles and PC without multiple devices (to play PC Multi-channel music while playing Console games).
Is the G6 the only other device that works with both PC and Consoles via Optical?

Got the acquisition syndrome and needing something "new" to hold me over until we get some HDMI-In devices.
Creative Labs G5 or G6 external sound card.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #43,559 of 48,562
New BETA Firmware for the BlasterX G6

Firmware 1.16 added Voice chat support for selected games on Nintendo Switch. Voice chat is title dependent and testing has been limited to fortnite.

https://creative.box.com/s/uo992gda7kykuk7ag3etzybvgp6yoa56

PS4 Voice Chat Setup:

1. Connect PS4/Pro's Optical-Out to G6's Optical-In

2. Connect PS4/Pro's USB to G6's USB

3. On PS4/Pro setup menu, goto Settings > Sound & Screen > Audio Output Settings, set Primary Output Port to Digital-Out (Optical), you may choose to output either PCM or Dolby Digital for Audio Format

4. Goto Devices > Audio Devices, set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio

Firmware 1.16 added Voice chat support for selected games on Nintendo Switch. Voice chat is title dependent and testing has been limited to fortnite.

This feature is not supported on PC. Interaction and visual indications are not available when connected to a host computer.

Connectivity/Setup

1. Connect PS4/Pro's Optical-Out to G6's Optical-In

2. Connect PS4/Pro's USB to G6's USB

3. On PS4/Pro setup menu, goto Settings > Sound & Screen > Audio Output Settings, set Primary Output Port to Digital-Out (Optical), you may choose to output either PCM or Dolby Digital for Audio Format

4. Goto Devices > Audio Devices, set Output to Headphones to Chat Audio
The above steps will configure PS4/Pro to output it's game audio through its SPDIF-Out and Voice chat thru USB. This will result in two independent audio stream that the G6 can attenuate individually.

Visual Indication

1. In Game/Chat Mode, Volume Knob LED will become PINK.

2. RGB LED one the "X" logo will be of the following colors and animation- GREEN - Both Optical-In and USB Audio are balance at 100% of last set volume- CYAN - Chat Audio at max, Game Audio adjusted lower than Chat Audio, if blinking CYAN -> Game Audio adjusted to minimum- ORANGE - Game Audio at max, Chat Audio adjusted lower than Game Audio, if blinking ORANGE -> Chat Audio adjusted to minimum
Interaction

1. When connected to PS4, G6 will start up in Master Volume Control Mode.

2. Press and hold Volume Knob to switch to Side Tone Mode (RED Volume LED)

3. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Game/Chat Mode (PINK Volume LED)

4. Press and hold Volume Knob again to switch to Master Volume Control Mode

5. When in Game/Chat Mode:- Turn Volume Knob left to gradually lower Chat Audio (ORANGE COLOR)- Turn volume knob right to gradually lower Game Audio (CYAN COLOR)- Double click on Volume Knob to set to center balance (GREEN), where both game and Chat Audio are balanced at 100%.- Single click on Volume Knob to mute master volume (Volume LED will blink)- Game/Chat mode will always default to BALANCED (GREEN) when first accessed in PS4.- Scout and SBX mode are operational, and will apply on both game audio and chat audio.
Audio Format

1. Audio format supported can be PCM or encoded Dolby Digital stream.

2. If content is Dolby Digital, the Dolby LED indicator on the side of G6 will light up.
Other Fixes

1. Fixed, RGB LED not able to turn off/on in SB Connect

2. Improve power management after inactivity for prolong time

3. Fixed slow boot up on MSI MEG Z390 ACE system

4. Fixed Line-in unable to umute when at maximum level

5. Updated Beta 2: Fix Mic volume revert back to 68% after restart or switch between speaker/hp

6. Updated Beta 2: Fix detection issues on certain systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back