How my journey for closed portable bliss came to an end
May 2, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like exclamation points!

just kidding....
tongue.gif

Oh please, we don't need another trose49.
rolleyes.gif

I was curious about these 'phones for awhile, but then I got derailed somehow. Perhaps I'll get them someday, but the lack of impressions/reviews from Head-Fiers gets me wondering.

May 2, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 59
I am still searching for a decent pair of closed phones for work, or for use at home when the wife is doing homework, or watching the TV. As a general rule, I really don't like closed phones (at least I haven't really liked the ones I have owned or heard so far). I much prefer the sound of a pair of open headphones. As such, it is going to take a very special closed phone to satisfy me.

So far I have tried:

Sony CD3000
BeyerDynamic DT770
AudioTechnica A900
AKG K81 DJ
BeyerDynamic DT250-80
KOSS A130

I pretty much agree with everything that Asr said in his original post regarding the CD3000s, DT770s, A900s, and K81 DJs.

The only place we differ in opinion is with regard to the DT250-80. They were decent with the music I primarily listen to (Metal of all genres, hard rock, classic rock, prog rock).

The DT250-80s were the only closed phones that even came close. They held me over for quite a while. But in the end, off they went to a new home. If memory serves, I think Asr bought them from me, LOL!

At any rate...

My search continues.
I am considering giving the Equation Audio RP-21s a shot, and (after reading this thread) the ATH-ES7s.

Edit: Forgot to mention, comfort is very high on my requirement list for a pair of closed phones.

How comfortable are the ES7s? And do they have full circum-aural earcups?

Everytime I think back to how uncomfortable the K81 DJs were, I die a little inside. After that fiasco, I promised myself that I would never deal with a closed supra-aural headphone ever again.

May 2, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After that fiasco, I promised myself that I would never deal with a closed supra-aural headphone ever again.

Unfortunately, I believe the ATH-ES7 is also a closed supra-aural headphone.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 59
I'm currently on vacation in Japan right now and yesterday my mission was to find a pair of ES-7s. After asking around in broken Japanese, I found the last pair at a Yodobashi Camera to what equates out to be roughly 120 USD. I think my search for a closed portable has ended with them too. Their sound signature is exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone: pretty much very strong and detailed across the range and non boomy bass. I think I'll be spending most of my listening time with them.

May 2, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can now say my journey came to an end with the ES7! Finally I have something to listen to tunes at work! Works great out of the Bithead! Get them from AudioCubes and don't look back! Full review coming much later, this is all I'll say for now, but these are rockin' my world! They even have some sonic similarities to the AD2000!

Nice write-up, as usual. The ES7 is a rockin' portable headphone and it looks good enough to wear in public.

Welcome to Team ES7, indeed! Davederek should be chiming in shortly
biggrin.gif
. I know he's pretty happy with it. I sold mine to him because the ES7 was just a little to small for my noggin'.

I've kinda given up on a portable cans search and am resorting to IEMs for now. I do hope to buy the HD25-1 if one comes up for sale here. I tried it briefly at a local shop and liked it a lot.

May 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, which of the headphones you've tried prevented "headphone hair" the most?
smily_headphones1.gif

Everything that wasn't the K271 or K171.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really having a hard time visualizing how one would go about this. I mean, I can see how you might be able to kick yourself in the @ss, but this has got to be a lot more difficult, no?

Mind posting a video? I'm guessing it looks something like "River Dance"?

Well even if I really could, I probably wouldn't.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great story, you sure did take the long way. When you had the K81DJ did you pull the foam out of the earcups? I found them very bloated with the foam in. Now I want to try the ES7, dammit.

Never did mod my K81DJ. I'm not a modding kinda person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT250-80s were the only closed phones that even came close. They held me over for quite a while. But in the end, off they went to a new home. If memory serves, I think Asr bought them from me, LOL!

Edit: Forgot to mention, comfort is very high on my requirement list for a pair of closed phones.

How comfortable are the ES7s? And do they have full circum-aural earcups?

Yup I did buy the DT250-80 from you.
tongue.gif
The ES7 is pretty comfortable once you loosen it up. It's supra-aural, but the earpads are larger than most so pressure is applied mostly around the outer edge of the ears. And there's not much pressure either - very light, in fact, compared to vice-grips like the K81DJ. It's more of a resting-on-the-ears rather than OMG-it's-a-death-grip!

May 2, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 59
How does the ES7 compare to the ATH-AD2000. I just got a pair of AD2000s and love them. I am looking for a smaller, closed portable can, and it looks like these might be them.

May 2, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 59
I might pick up a pair and give them a shot. 100$ isn't a bad price.

Have you run them amped? If so how was the sound compared to unamped?

May 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the ES7 compare to the ATH-AD2000. I just got a pair of AD2000s and love them. I am looking for a smaller, closed portable can, and it looks like these might be them.

Sounds pretty similar. Same basic full, bodied mid-range. A touch more mid-bass. Less refined treble though, bass doesn't extend quite as low (or is as clean & controlled), and it doesn't have the AD2K's awesome sense of space and air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might pick up a pair and give them a shot. 100$ isn't a bad price.

Have you run them amped? If so how was the sound compared to unamped?

They very essence of my home and work setup causes my headphones to run "amped" all the time, so I can't speak for unamped, whatever that means.
tongue.gif
If you mean like directly out of my laptop's headphone jack or my office computer's front-mounted headphone jack, sounds ok, nothing wrong with it, haven't done any real comparative listening though.

May 3, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They very essence of my home and work setup causes my headphones to run "amped" all the time, so I can't speak for unamped, whatever that means.
tongue.gif
If you mean like directly out of my laptop's headphone jack or my office computer's front-mounted headphone jack, sounds ok, nothing wrong with it, haven't done any real comparative listening though.

I have a pair of KSC-75's and Grado SR60's that I use as my portable. I'm looking for something even "higher" in the portable line and also closed. I just think it would be nice to have a set of closed's that I also would enjoy unamped.

May 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #27 of 59
Lol, no need to worry. AT's supra-aurals are some of the more comfortable ones I've tried - when it comes to theirs, the most comfortable are easily the FC7 and ES7. They really know how to design earpads that rest on your ears instead of clamping.

May 3, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #28 of 59
You say that they more rest on your ears instead of clamping them. How do they do with staying on your head while moving around, as well as looking up and down? Also, how's the isolation?

May 3, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #29 of 59
congratulations. i beg to disagree on your point that this is the end of your journey. on the contrary, it's just starting wahaha!!!
tongue.gif
now hold on to your dear wallet.

May 3, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say that they more rest on your ears instead of clamping them. How do they do with staying on your head while moving around, as well as looking up and down? Also, how's the isolation?

It's still a secure fit, I didn't mean to imply they were loose-fitting. Isolation is just useful enough to use in an office or library setting. I don't think they would be very useful onboard public transit though, engine noise would probably drown out the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back