Headphones you regretted buying the most
Oct 4, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #1,156 of 1,852
I'm gonna go at this from a different direction...

I regret buying the Grado SR60 because it turned out to be a gateway drug to this headphone addiction problem that I have.  I regret the Shure E2c, because it did the same for earphones (leading to the Shure E4c and good fortune to the UERM).

I regret the Sennheiser HD650 because I love it so much that I wanted to amp it well... most recently, I built a Bottlehead Crack+Speedball (also spending money on the gear needed to build it) and picked up the Burson Soloist for it (giving me decent tube and solid state options).

And this stuff is also causing me to spend more money on music... I just bought some more Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity CDs.  They ain't cheap, but man they sound good.  Still fighting the urge to make big SACD / DVD-A / Vinyl investments.  Vinyl is the one that scares me the most.

So yeah... I regret them because of the amount of money they've caused me to spend.  That said, I'm sure having fun...

Nicely put Uzi... I regret buying my first set of top notch iems at the store and the next thing I know I am buying one for working out, school, home, gaming, and one for everything else.

I don't intend to take us off topic, but I am getting tired of using ITunes... I been using windows media center and was not all that impressed. Do you know of any standouts. (file playing)

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #1,157 of 1,852
Bose oe1. Lucky enough I bought it in USA where it is cheaper than in my country. I dislike it so much I sold it to my uncle friend and actually made a small profit to fund my purchase of the em9r.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,158 of 1,852
Quote:
Beats Pro:   WAAAY overpriced,   they have a OK sound, 100 sound at most.

Sennheiser 280pro: My first "hifi" headphone, little did i know.  Boring... Boring....  Boring.. Lack of bass.. clamps force is to strong that it hurts,  cups make them hot , cant use them for more than half an hour.

That was my "$500 Hifi What NOT to Buy Sound Lesson"   
angry_face.gif

Updating and Adding to the List:

Meelectronics M9.   sounds tiny, metalic, bass is all over the place, mids are way to recessed.  At least they where cheap and i am using the tips for other iems.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #1,164 of 1,852
Denon D400-  Thank goodness I was able to return and gladly ate the restocking fee.  What a mess!  They wish they were as good as Beats.  Denon should be ashamed of themselves puting out such an inferior headphone (and I like the D600).

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,165 of 1,852
Quote:
Denon D400-  Thank goodness I was able to return and gladly ate the restocking fee.  What a mess!  They wish they were as good as Beats.  Denon should be ashamed of themselves puting out such an inferior headphone (and I like the D600).

Totally agree.  Hell, for the style alone, Denon should be ashamed.  I mean, we all know they are supposed to look like Beats.  Why not continue making grown-up headphones?  Sigh...

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,166 of 1,852
AKG K495NC

I never expected the build to be plastic so it came as a surprise that it broke after only 2 months of use

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,167 of 1,852
Ultrasone DJ1 (HFI-580)

Such bad, bad, bad pleather and overall not as good sounding as people had said. Crap comfort, too.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,168 of 1,852
Quote:
Nicely put Uzi... I regret buying my first set of top notch iems at the store and the next thing I know I am buying one for working out, school, home, gaming, and one for everything else.
I don't intend to take us off topic, but I am getting tired of using ITunes... I been using windows media center and was not all that impressed. Do you know of any standouts. (file playing)

Foooooooooooooooooooooooooooobaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar2k

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,169 of 1,852
Quote:

sounds worse than beats??? now that's really saying something....

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #1,170 of 1,852
The headphone I most regret buying would have to be the infamous pre-Beats fart cannon, the Sony MDR-V700dj (recently, perhaps mercifully, discontinued). Now I'll tell you what's even more regrettable than buying one of these, and that's being dumb enough to buy it again after the first one broke. Granted the second one was a gift to replace the first, but if I could have combined the ~$325 from both these purchases, even back then (around '02 - '04) I could have gotten a pretty nice pair of headphones.

For those who don't know about these (before your time perhaps), they probably got panned a lot more than they deserved, but in all honesty (and with the proof coming from my one--barely--surviving sample) they really were pretty poor. Certainly not worth $150 or $157 (for the first and second pairs, respectively). They would start out dark and bassy, though not excessively so. Bass extension wasn't stellar despite the emphasis on that range. When the plastic swivel hinge inevitably cracked, the fit would loosen and the bass would fall back in the mix, leaving a forward midrange and rolled off, grainy treble.

I'll say one thing for them and that's that they were never fatiguing. Probably because their detail resolution was quite...well, they didn't have much in the way of detail resolution, we'll say. It's actually astonishing that I heard anything in my music through those things compared with what I have now. And to think that, at the time, the V700 was the most detailed headphone I'd ever had. Man the stuff I'd had before that must have sucked hard!

Give me that $325 now and I'd buy a decent amp and a set of Audeo PFE if there was money left over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back