Headphones you regretted buying the most
Mar 11, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #931 of 1,852
Thanks for post! :) it gives me chance to talk about my Sennheiser CX300 & HD 280 pro. In both cases I was thrilled like anything, it was long time back so paying so much for headphone is crazy (even now for most here), after reading all glowing reviews I bought these (there was gap  btwn these 2 though but didn't realize Senn is not for me). CX300 was useless crap no bass, sound nothing to excite about, my iAudio U2 stock ear bud at that time sounded much better. Next is HD 280 pro, again I was thrilled, then comes the feeling what a sh#t, again no bass at all!, uninspiring sound particularly for music, movies & games were far better. One good thing about these two would be the build quality, they just don't die! even after years of least concern and not to forget contempt and hate 
biggrin.gif

San :) 

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #933 of 1,852
Well I'm new here and have been researching a lot about all my options. I'm really surprised to see all the regrets for the Grados and higher end Sennheisers. Even the well praised ATH-M50 is in this list and I almost pulled the trigger on those. I regret buying my Sennheiser MX85 earbuds. I bought them for working out and sweating, etc., but they hurt the cartilage in my ears soooo bad. I paid $45 but I feel I could've done so much better. Just don't think earbuds and IEMs work well in my ears so I'm excited to get my Ultrasones in the mail any day now. Yep, I checked my wallet at the door....thx guys 
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #934 of 1,852
@Cla55clown -- we're all different with different ears, different tastes in music and different priorities in listening to said music.  That said, I figured I'd chime in with my comedy of errors...

A lot of people have said this one, but I'll lead in with the Sennheiser HD595.  I got them for $117 and it gets used around here... my kid listens to music with them, and my wife and I use it for TV watching.  While the bass does go deep, the overall sound to me is a bit thin.  They are comfortable and fit on little heads, so they stay.  The Sennheiser HD650 replaced them for me in a big way in terms of sound and comfort (yes, the head clamping doesn't bother me in the least... I actually kinda like it).  I'll use the HD595 for TV watching instead of the HD650 at night just in case I pass out on the couch... I've already snapped the headband on the HD650 by lying on them and had to go weeks without it while they were getting repaired... never again.  (Side note: a coworker of mine got the HD598, and I liked those much more than the HD595... I wouldn't shy away from the HD598 if I had a use for them.)

Next up is the Shure SRH-840.  I have love for Shure with the E4c in-ears (which aren't perfect, but have served me very well).  The SRH-840 isolates very well and is reasonably comfortable, but again the problem for me is the sound.  Don't get me wrong -- it sounds decent and detailed... it just never really excited me.  For some reason, the sound signature didn't speak to me with the music I listened to.  I tried the ATH-M50, and those sounded better but weren't as comfortable.  I recently picked up the Denon AH-D2000 (for $215)... while they don't isolate as well as the Shures, they do so well enough... more importantly, I find them better sounding and more comfortable than both the SRH-840 and the ATH-M50.

Lastly, I'll have to say the Grado SR-225i.  Let me start by saying that I love the Grado SR-60.  They were my first stop on this perilous (at least to my wallet) journey.  My gateway drug.  I still have, use and love the SR-60 deeply.  Anyways, I had ordered something from J&R, and they sent me a $30 gift card randomly with it.  Now, my wife had taken my SR-60 for use at work and I was missing them terribly... so I called J&R to see the price on the SR-225i... they quoted something like $169 (I think)... take off the $30 and I got 'em for under $140 new.  To keep my wife from murdering me in my sleep, I gave them to her and took back the SR-60 which is a win-win because she likes the SR-225i more anyways.  For me, the SR-225i is too much of a good thing... they give me ear fatigue too quickly.

So from all that, you can probably figure out the three headphones I regret the least... the Sennheiser HD650, the Denon AH-D2000 and the Grado SR-60.  That's the full-sized headphones at least... the jury is still out on the in-ears: the Shure E4c has served me well (and I like them more than the E2c that preceded them), I got a bad copy of the UE Triple.Fi 10 that I'll try to get replaced, and I have a UERM on the way.  Perhaps I'll be back when that gets sorted out.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #935 of 1,852
Beats By Dre. Theyre "ok". But not $350.00 ok. If they were $100 it would be worth it. Maybe. Total garbage hardware. Creaky plastic, terrible quality wires and when you spin or move the jack when connected you get static feedback.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #937 of 1,852
The AKG K701:  While technically a good heaphone, I must agree with Uncle Eric about their rather plasticky sound and anemic, though tight, bass.  While the mids are indeed excellent, I just didn't feel that this headphone was well balanced enough, or really that great for anything other than classical music and some jazz (and even then, only when well-amped).  AKG may just be my favorite company for overall comfort and performance at a reasonable price, but I just feel these headphones are really overrated.

The Equation Audio RP-22X I purchased back in my basshead days.  Immediately regretted it after listening to better, more balanced heaphones.  For a bass-heavy headphone, I found these to be surprisingly bright, and certainly not in a good way.  Also, in spite of their rather durable plastic, the headband has a tendency to crack easily under stress.  These didn't last me a year.

The Audiotechnica ATH-M50S:  It might sound like I'm trolling here, but I assure you, I'm not.  Sadly, I have to say that I'm not a fan of these headphones, but the reason is rather particular to me.  I have a very sensitive eustachian tube in my left ear, that doesn't respond well to pressure being applied underneath and around my ear for prolonged periods of time.  Unfortunately, the ATH-M50, while great for the price, clamp WAAAAY to tight for my taste, and as a result of my ear issues, I developed an ear infection that was quite painful.  Hence, I have very bad associations with the headphone that I fear I will never fully overcome, although I acknowledge that they are a solid contender at their price point.  Also, the highs on this headphone can be overly strident and bright for prolonged listening, and coupled with the slightly emphasized bass, cause the mids to sound more washed-out than they are in reality.

The absolute worst headphones I've ever owned were with out a doubt the first-generation of Brookstone Noise-Cancelling headphones.  Horribly colored sound, somewhat tight fit, and worst of all broken noise cancellation that resulted in inexplicably loud feedback on one side of the headphone!  I will never forget the terror of that high-pitched shreik creeping into the headphone when I was listening on the plane.  OUCH!!!!

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #938 of 1,852
Well, I didn't buy them, but I considered buying them. It was when I knew nothing about headphones, I went over and tried out the Beats Solo. I'm so glad I did my research later on. I ended up getting Sennheiser HD 598s. Now I laugh at people who pay hundreds for a pair of headphones like beats solo. The difference is unimaginable, and I haven't even gotten my amplifier yet. I'm still waiting for my Fiio E7

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #942 of 1,852

Quote:
What?! Wow. How did you manage to break your HD595s?! I have a pair of HD598s. They are very durable.

Cracking well  known issue of hd595. I  thought they were durable too, but after paying attention I  saw the typical cracks ,
exactly located between the two nn of sennheiser.   They fell few times on the floor, might be a bit my fault,
but the long cord is not convenient (so easy to take the cable in your foot ) . I  screwed later the earpads, because I've read it was easy to remove them and wash them.I  guess that wasn't enough easy for me.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #944 of 1,852
Beats Studio, my first 200$+ cans. 
It wasn't even the sound or the build quality (not that they were desirable) but the leakage. WOW those cans LEAKED. I couldn't go past 40-50% on a measly ipod touch without my family hearing. THAT was unacceptable for a NC closed back.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #945 of 1,852
Sennheiser HD25-1 ii - fatiguing sound, where are the mids?  the highs are a bit shrill sounding, lows a bit over emphasized and smallish soundstage.  and the clamping force of a bear trap.

Ultrasone HFI 580 -   who left the 'loudness' engaged?  oh! it's really not.  ok, they went back to the seller, a basshead I'm not.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back