Headphones you regretted buying the most
Mar 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #917 of 1,852
For me it was the Sennheiser 518s. It was back in November and I was just starting to take some notice into the world of headphones. I just did some preliminary research and figured I'd start there. Well, they bass was very muddy and to me it felt like someone was pressing earmuffls to my head with sound coming out of them. I know a lot of people like them, and I even saw them on some company's top 10 list, but they were not for me in the slightest. It almost kept me from continuing to play around in this area, but thankfully it wasn't long after that when I discovered Grados for the first time...been a love affair ever since. But I ended up selling the 518s on Amazon for half what I paid just to move them. Didn't care for them at all.

Second place would be the BeyerD DT880s...but for a different reason. I had contemplated the T1 in addition to the 880s, and once I heard the 880s is made me want the T1. If I would have just gone with the T1s to begin with, I'd be listening to them right now! lol

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #920 of 1,852

Quote:
Denon AH-D7000

Not complaints about the sound, though I only listened for about 4 songs. The problem was I found my wife staring at me the second I opened my eyes. She first told me exactly which 4 songs I listened to, then told me to get rid of the headphones. Pretty much 0 isolation in or out. I took them off and listened to them. These things leak more sound than my Sennheiser PC 360's, an open headphone. A real shame, too, as they sounded and looked beautiful.

lol. I had a similar experience after I got a pair of Sennheiser HD650's. I simply bought my girlfriend a pair of IEMs and told her to leave me alone. :)

The downside to this, is that now she has taken a liking to IEMs and have confiscated my Westone 4's. :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #921 of 1,852
Plantronics Gamecom 777.

I got them for surround sound, but just got a slight echo added to everything. It was my anger at those headphones that got me googling, and drove me to find this forum. Now, I am gonna be spending around $750 for headphones and amps, all because a stupid $50 headset couldn't perform as advertised! The stupid USB dongle it comes with is a joke, btw......

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #922 of 1,852
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

They were one of the my first headphones in the beginning of my hi-fi journey. I quickly discovered that I didn't like the sound at all, bass was seriously lacking, and unbalanced mids and highs.

It tops the list as the headphones I regret buying the most, the second one are the M-50s.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #923 of 1,852
Skullcandy Skullcrushers. I dropped them a week after I purchased them and they broke, the SQ wasn't that good for the price either. I'll never buy another pair of skullcandy's again, but they say the Aviators are actually decent headphones.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #924 of 1,852
Grado SR80i. When I first got it, I gave it a good review because I have never heard anything so good for so low. After I got the HD650 and the Q701 though, I started to notice all the terrible caveats. So closed sounding and the build quality is horrible.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #925 of 1,852
NuForce NE-700M, speaker keeps breaking, costs me £20 to get it through customs every time, not even returning it this time as I just KNOW it's going to break again. Massive waste of money in the end, and the sound quality isn't even great.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #927 of 1,852

Quote:
Grado SR80i. When I first got it, I gave it a good review because I have never heard anything so good for so low. After I got the HD650 and the Q701 though, I started to notice all the terrible caveats. So closed sounding and the build quality is horrible.

So you liked it until you compared it to headphones costing 3-5x as much?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #928 of 1,852

Quote:
So you liked it until you compared it to headphones costing 3-5x as much?
rolleyes.gif

No. Same priced headphones. I listened to the HD650 and Q701 after everything else before knowing that it was worth it to upgrade. I didn't know a whole lot about sound back them.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #930 of 1,852
Bose Around-Ears- Only purchased because I was able to snag em up in a pawn shop for cheap. I ended up flipping them on Craigslist, the same day, for a slight profit. I expected the overly warm coloration, but was amazed by the almost unapologetic muddiness of the lows.

Sent from my MikG'd htc Supersonic via Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back