Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #586 of 1,852
Sony MDR-v6, and not because of the sound. I had jumped on a $50 refurbished deal, and shortly after the warranty period (90 days), one of the drivers died. And to think I only saved a measly $15, since Amazon also had new ones for around $66, iirc. 

May 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #588 of 1,852
Quote:
If you dislike them that much, you'll probably not want to do anything to void your warranty, but a few very simple mods can take the 780s from "engh" to "ooooooh".

Well there are some things I can see being easily fixed like the excessive treble but other things I don't see going away easily or at all like the grain in the mids and excessively metallic timbre.

Also that S Logic does make it sound sort of like an open 'phone that just happens to have a small soundstage (eg a typical Grado) but it seems to come at the expense of any coherent imaging.  If any of your mods fix those problems then I'm all ears, but I didn't even try yet since it didn't seem likely.  I got mine open box at a good price so I don't mind trying stuff out if its got a chance of working.  They may even already burned in but I've got no idea.

As it stands now with no mods and indeterminate burn in They don't compete to well with my KSC-75s.  The 780s win in bass extension, isolation and a bit of treble detail.  If I put these on over the KSC-75s they win in isolation by a huge margin and the soundstage come down to about the same size as the 780s.

Do you have a thread for your mods?

May 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #589 of 1,852
AKG K271 MKII for me, I wanted another pair of closed headphones for work and I was prepared to sacrifice bass for some nice mids, but these just sound cheap (and are built cheap too).  I should have kept my DT770/600s, they are a better bargain than the AKGs even at twice the price.

Drew

May 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #591 of 1,852
Ultrasone Zino, after having a lot of fun with the 15Gs I thought they would be a grande pair for the road but in reality they sound like a Zwieback milling machine. Generally my experience with Ultrasones has been really bad, also have a HFI-2000 that doesn't really sound at all. 15s and 650s (non-DVD) are the only ones I ever liked. 

May 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #596 of 1,852
Grado 325i's  .  Like shoving knitting needles in my ears. I really don't care for the Grado sound.

May 11, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #598 of 1,852
Sleek Audio SA6. (not -R) Underwhelmed by sound for the price (wrong balance for me, mid-loaded), really crummy build quality. Whoever gave them that engineering award must've been paid well or only considered innovation part (the filters) and not the quality.
These have pretty good detail at least.

Got the cable destroyed in less than a month, bought new improved one which apparently is on a good way to die real soon (isolation looks cracked already near the IEM connectors).
It's a case of thin cable with too short and hard strain relief and heat-hardening isolation.
The connectors are non-standard and impossible to get, so I can't make a custom one.

Also, driver flex in a balanced armature IEM... Probably the filter's plastic is compliant (flexible) a bit too much.

May 11, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #599 of 1,852
Sony MDR-7505

May 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #600 of 1,852
2nd gen LTB Surround headphones.  First ones were decent but amp unit broke(nothing special to begin with but they were $35), the new version completely sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back