Headphones you regretted buying the most
May 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #571 of 1,852
Sennheiser hd 212 pro. I would try to make myself feel better about the purchase by saying to myself "but theyre sennheisers". Those were the tightest fitting, most uncomfortable headphones Ive worn in a long time. The fake leather or whatever they used on the earpads might as well have been wool they would itch so much.

May 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #572 of 1,852
ATH-AD900

not nearly enough bass, too much treble (though not a hint fo sibilance), colored mid, comfort is superb though for relatively big headphone (and they're very light!)

one thing that I learned from buying this, if someone said tight bass, it usually means "no bass" for me, and I'm in no way a basshead (CAL has too much bass for me for instance).

May 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #573 of 1,852
One of the biggest regrets I had were the SR325is. I thought I was trading up from the SR225i and I was wrong. I found the SR325is way too "U" shaped for my liking and the treble was too sizzly for comfort. I thought about going back to the SR225i, but ended up with the RS1s.

My biggest regret IEM were the ER-4P (with the P-S adapter), both were anemic sounding to my ears, the cable horribly microphonic and I could never get more than minimal comfort with them.

May 10, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #574 of 1,852
ATH-es7.  Dont get me wrong, they are great sounding portables, but my big ass head was just too much for the poor headphones. Even at max length for the adjustments, the rubber headband would dig into the top of my head. I could only wear them for an hour at the most before i couldn't take the pain anymore. I've never had that problem with any other headphone, but thats ok, I gave my little brother a kick-start into Head-fi with em
wink_face.gif

May 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #575 of 1,852
Star wars R2D2 headphones from Coloud for my girlfriend (who is a big big star wars fan). These are rubbish chinese OEM stuff with added design by Coloud. Muddiest bass ever that envelopes the entire sound signature with nothing else to show for. The 'DJ' style headphones I thought we're at least circumaural but cant find any info on them, they turned out to be tiny supraaurals which my girlfriend dont quite like and has clamping force like a pair of giant pliers. Also, the hinge is one dimensional, making the clamping alot more unbearable... 

Alas, these would just be on the shelf for display as a collectors item..  nothing much...

as the girlfriend likes circumaurals with cushions and bass..... the next buy will be the XB700s  or 500s

May 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #576 of 1,852
Creative Aurvana DJ that I bought on sale. No bass (srsly, Creative?), uncomfortable due to headband clamping pressure. They make my Superlux feel like hi-end cans for half the price.

May 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #577 of 1,852
SR-60s but I was able to return them for a full refund. Some Shure IEMs which had plugs which felt like hard expanding gum in your ear and had pure treble, no mids or bass/ full refund. One  pair of Bose On ears which lasted 1 year. I will attempt to recable em.

Makes me happy for the headphones I love.

May 10, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #579 of 1,852
beats by dre studios. headband cracked after a few months of easy use, took 3 weeks to be replaced and ended up selling them.

May 10, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #580 of 1,852
For me, I regret buying the Grado SR225i. I sold my SR60 thinking the SR225i would blow me away (because I loved my SR60's) but it didn't. Comfort was horrible with the bowlpads, forcing me to switch back to the yellow HD414 pads and thus destroying the little soundstage it had. Now they sound harsh and grating to my ears. I also feel like I have to press the pads into my skull to get some bass impact. The SR60 was FAR more enjoyable. 

Another can I regret buying is the KSC75. They sounded so extremely good for their price that I felt guilty about spending so much cash on my other headphones. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Superlux HD662 and HD668b did that too. Amazing value, those cans. 

May 10, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #581 of 1,852
Beats Solo HD. Why on Earth did I buy these? Hype. At least I know better now. I could've bought a pair of Sennheiser HD25 1-II's for the money I spent.

May 10, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #582 of 1,852
I said earlier in this thread that so far every headphone I've purchased has helped figure out what I like or don't like and has been something of an educational experience so I didn't mind thew few bucks here and there they cost me.

That said I've just received a pair that was rather disappointing even after adjusting for low expectations, The HFI-780.  I wanted to see if the S Logic actually did anything worth coping into my own modified version of Smeggy's Thunderpants design but that doesn't seem worthwhile ATM. 

Anyway, I'm going to get to write an interesting revew comparing the 780 to my ksc75 + a set of hearing protector muffs unless they change a lot with burn in..

Barring miracle they'll be returned soon...

May 10, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #583 of 1,852

Quote:
I said earlier in this thread that so far every headphone I've purchased has helped figure out what I like or don't like and has been something of an educational experience so I didn't mind thew few bucks here and there they cost me.

That said I've just received a pair that was rather disappointing even after adjusting for low expectations, The HFI-780.  I wanted to see if the S Logic actually did anything worth coping into my own modified version of Smeggy's Thunderpants design but that doesn't seem worthwhile ATM. 

Anyway, I'm going to get to write an interesting revew comparing the 780 to my ksc75 + a set of hearing protector muffs unless they change a lot with burn in..

Barring miracle they'll be returned soon...

If you dislike them that much, you'll probably not want to do anything to void your warranty, but a few very simple mods can take the 780s from "engh" to "ooooooh".

May 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #584 of 1,852
Alessandro MS-1.

Not because any particular sound qualities or anything.. just grado build quality is abysmal. Endlessly spinning cups kept causing the cable to get tangled and continual straightening out damaged the wires, and the foamies deteriorated after about a year.

Borrowed a pair of RS-1 for awhile and it was nearly identical in build, felt like I was holding a $10 pair of headphones in my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back