Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 16, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #466 of 1,852
HD800
They sound great with classical and jazz, but with most other genres, they sound so bright that they hurt.

UE18Pro
They are probably the best IEMs for performing musicians, but they are not designed for listening to music with.

SE530
They sound good but they are so badly made, they put me off buying any Shure products for life.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #467 of 1,852
My most regrettable decision? Well lets say all of it besides my DT770 Pro...should have just went straight for JH16 Pros and a nice amp

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #469 of 1,852
Bose IE2's I must of had been crazy to pay 150 for those and not even after 2 months of owning them they got chewed up by my dog
triportsad.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #470 of 1,852
Wanna add the ESW9... Eww... enjoy your smothered, blanketed, warm B.S.

Like the sound has a flu.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #471 of 1,852

Quote:
Quote:
Not really.  You can get cheaper headsets that have better audio quality (such as Sennheiser PC350, Razer Carcharias, etc).  Or the better option would be get a good pair of headphones with a good soundstage, and just use a separate mic, no need to actually modify your headphones if you don't want to.  The A40's are like the Skullycandy of headphones- people buy them because their friends tell them they are the best, and they are "stylish".  Ooo removable decorative plates!

None of the sets you posted are PS3 compatible.... and the astro mixamp is actually a pretty decent product. The only set that I know of with the same features and better reviewed sound quality is the Turtle Beach Earforce HPX which when I bought my A40's was sold out. This is still not to deny they are not audiophile quality headphones but none of the audiophile units allow you to coordinate your assault with your team on COD or Battlefield without jimmy rigging. I just think fanboy's and over zealous haters forget these are a niche product for gaming and the marketing for them for anything beyond that is foolish. They are functional for their intended purpose is all I am getting at.

They are all PS3 compatible with the Astro Mixamp. 

The Mixamp is a quality product.  The A40's are very mediocre in terms of sound quality, which is a shame since they are quite expensive.  Most gamers who buy them do so because they see their MLG sponsored pro's wear them, and so they assume they are the best.  Many times they have never tried a quality headphone and it is their introduction to anything that sounds better than the crappy official headset or a cheap model of Turtle Beaches, so when they are exposed to something better they immediately rave about it and think it is the best.  The vast majority of people I've come across with multiple headphones/headsets are realizing

Yes, the A40's are "functional"- they deliver sound, and can voice chat.  But at around $200, I'd expect better audio quality than a $70 headset, except with customizable tags...

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #472 of 1,852
I think we are on the same page silentnoise I just have seen how polarizing a product the astro's are and sometimes as a non fanatical owner feel the need to defend them for usefulness and functionality albeit mediocre SQ for anything beyond gaming.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #475 of 1,852
I had the A40s, and I didn't particularly like them either...

Didn't help that the right driver stopped working after months of me not using them...

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #477 of 1,852
Yep, mine also saw very little use. After months stored in its case I went to use it again only to inexplicably find the mic no longer worked. Thankfully Astro "serviced" it when outside of warranty, although they did send a different refurbished unit that clearly looked used, whereas my unit was in mint condition. I sold them on ebay for virtually nothing. I felt like a sucker.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #478 of 1,852

Quote:
So what do you guys who got rid of your astro's do to chat while you game?

I use a $2.50 clip on mic from Dealextreme that works VERY well. I paired it up with my past Creative Aurvana Live (I also use the Labtec LVA-7330 with the CAL) , K701, and DT990s... worked like a charm.

However, I just sold my HD598 to fund for the PC360 G4ME which is gonna be my main gaming headset. From all my AVS friends who have bought the PC360, it's the definitive open eared gaming headset.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #480 of 1,852

Users who are viewing this thread

Back